You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any twitchers out there?

Champ

No way could I start a thread with 'birds' in the title, you 'orrible lot, but against advice I decided to put up this thread to see if anyone else shares my growing interest in bird spotting.

I've always been quite interested in noticing the different varieties that come into my garden but that interest has increased over the last couple of years and this winter have been experimenting with putting out different kinds of food.

I put out a feeder filled with sunflower hearts which has been quite successful and then was told fat balls, yeah, yeah, was where it was at so I bought and put them in a feeder and have had not so much as a bite so far as I can tell. What am I doing wrong?

• Upvote 3

I absolutely love feeding the birds. I spend a fortune on dried mealworm... if you buy it in bulk off ebay you get a much better deal though.

I get loads of starlings, blackbirds, sparrows, blue tits, robins, ring necked doves, thrush, the odd great tit and coal tit. I have recently been joined by a pied wagtail and even had a bullfinch on Sunday - that's a gorgeous looking bird. I have in the past been visited fleetingly by a lesser spotted woodpecker and a blackcap!

I'm moving house and I'm gutted, because it's taken two years to build up the array of visitors I get now!

• Upvote 3

No way could I start a thread with 'birds' in the title, you 'orrible lot, but against advice I decided to put up this thread to see if anyone else shares my growing interest in bird spotting.

I've always been quite interested in noticing the different varieties that come into my garden but that interest has increased over the last couple of years and this winter have been experimenting with putting out different kinds of food.

I put out a feeder filled with sunflower hearts which has been quite successful and then was told fat balls, yeah, yeah, was where it was at so I bought and put them in a feeder and have had not so much as a bite so far as I can tell. What am I doing wrong?

I love birds (the feathered type) and if I won the lottery I would probably take up ornothology as a hobby. Until then I just enjoy them as I am going about my daily business.

Could be a few things. It takes a while for them to discover a new food source. They also might just prefer sunflower hearts. A lot depends on what species you get visiting.

I put the fat balls (can anyone type that without smirking?) on the hook where I'd had the sunflower hearts. Time for a little experiment...

MEALWORM!

You'll be skint, but you'll have a garden full of happy birds!

Ah, yes. It kinda started from there. I had been digging and was telling my neighbour about the robin that was watching me and then he came round and showed us how to get a robin to come and take mealworms from our hands

• Upvote 3