You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ‘Buy Nabil Fekir’ Campaign

Isn't he just reiterating what was reported in the press this past week?

Hadn't seen anything definitive in the press myself mate, just a couple of "deal may not be dead" style guesses.

If there was, fair enough on that point, but it's still always prudent to get in a post or two calling Tyler a cunt in my view.

Much of my view is based off the insane depth other teams have, and more importantly the quality in depth. We have no quality left back cover, we need a CB to replace Lovren, we need a quality striker option too.

We sure are close though. If we get those two.

I think Gomez will replace Klavan in the next couple of years, and Matip may leave if he fails to step it up this season, giving us the opportunity to replace him with someone who can genuinely stake a claim.

No need to force this one unless a top CB becomes available and willing.

Moreno is decent enough cover, and Milner can also play there. Again, should we sell Moreno or should a top left back become available, then that may change. We're also keeping tabs on Sessengon.

In terms of strikers, things may change should we sell Sturridge, Origi and Ings. And I mean all 3 will have to go.

My feeling is he'll stick with Solanke as short term cover, and play Salah central when Bobby is unavailable (making the Shaqiri signing even more understandable).

He's also given Brewster assurances.

Can't help but feel that solanke could become an amazing player for us. I feel once he bags a few then that will be it. If we get fekir, then with frodo added, that's decent cover in attacking positions.

Our midfield has much better strength in depth from baby keith and fabinho.

Regarding centre half situation, dejan is what he is. A generally good defender alongside virgil who is capable of 2-3 headfuck performances a season. I have come to accept that. This isn't our main problem area and matip and gomez are good back up. I could see Masterson being given a chance in cup games this season too as jurgen seems to rate him. He must be injured or going on loan as he hasn't been involved in pre-season.

The goalkeeper situation is the one that needs instant solving. Karius may take years to get over the cl final and mig isn't good enough. I haven't seen enough of ward. Grabara and kelleher are excellent talents but i would be concerned about 18 or 19 year olds in goal.

Can't help but feel that solanke could become an amazing player for us. I feel once he bags a few then that will be it. If we get fekir, then with frodo added, that's decent cover in attacking positions.

Our midfield has much better strength in depth from baby keith and fabinho.

Regarding centre half situation, dejan is what he is. A generally good defender alongside virgil who is capable of 2-3 headfuck performances a season. I have come to accept that. This isn't our main problem area and matip and gomez are good back up. I could see Masterson being given a chance in cup games this season too as jurgen seems to rate him. He must be injured or going on loan as he hasn't been involved in pre-season.

The goalkeeper situation is the one that needs instant solving. Karius may take years to get over the cl final and mig isn't good enough. I haven't seen enough of ward. Grabara and kelleher are excellent talents but i would be concerned about 18 or 19 year olds in goal.

Solanke would have to improve massively for him to be decent based on last season,for me. Maybe he's much better in training than he shows but I've seen nothing yet that suggests real potential.

• Upvote 1

Right back looks the area where we're weakest overall, other than the obvious goalkeeping situation and assuming Fekir will bring the much needed creativity to midfield & quality cover for the front three with Shaqiri making sure we never have to play Firmino, Lallana or oxocube outwide again.  Clyne has been injured forever and never looked suited to attacking football.   Gomez has never looked a right back and even more ill suited to to an attacking team.  TAA looks good but he's had less than half a season in the team and still has it all to prove really.

Left back we've got two players that played well quite consistently last year.  No way did I think I'd be saying that last August.

Clyne missed the whole season but was pretty reliable fitness-wise before that from memory

( just checked - 34/29/41/52/41 appearances in previous 5 seasons ) and only just 27 so no age really. I thought he was under-respected by fans the season before last and was expected to be our main threat down the right as well as defensively sound. With 3 excellent wing options now , Clyne will have a lot more space when he moves forward and I think ( fitness permitting ) he will be a major asset. Him & TAA on one side with Andy & Alberto on the other side is good enough for me. 

ps judging by the lurid headlines when I put his name in google he is at least building his aerobic fitness up & his back must be on the mend.

• Upvote 1

How would Martin Tyler know any of what goes on at at Liverpool?

And the Mirror claim the Reds feel the 24-year-old may yet move to Anfield and Tyler confirmed that whilst commentating on the World Cup final on Sunday for Australian TV channel SBS.

“The reason Fekir hasn’t moved already from Lyon to Liverpool has been the structuring of the deal, with Liverpool at bit suspicious of a problem that surfaced at the medical.

“They will take him, but payments will have to be in stages, when he has proved his availability on a regular basis,” said Tyler, who reportedly spoke to Fekir prior to the final in Mosco

Tyler is just regurgitating what we are all guessing to be the case. If we’ve been to this much effort to get Fekir and Aulas wants to renegotiate the figure then we will surely be back in for him if the deal protects the club.

At right back I’ll be shocked if Clyne doesn’t start the season first choice as his clearly the best right back at the club. Then again Moreno kept getting played at the beginning last season so we may see something similar at the start of this season. At some point though it’s hard to see how Clyne won’t be starting if he stays fit.

Right back looks the area where we're weakest overall, other than the obvious goalkeeping situation and assuming Fekir will bring the much needed creativity to midfield & quality cover for the front three with Shaqiri making sure we never have to play Firmino, Lallana or oxocube outwide again.  Clyne has been injured forever and never looked suited to attacking football.   Gomez has never looked a right back and even more ill suited to to an attacking team.  TAA looks good but he's had less than half a season in the team and still has it all to prove really.

Left back we've got two players that played well quite consistently last year.  No way did I think I'd be saying that last August.

I do agree that right back is probably one of our weakest areas. Trent still has a naive mistake in him, Clyne is limited technically while Gomez' complacency in possession can properly infuriating at times. But, I don't think it makes any sense to bring in a new right-back. Trent is undoubtedly one of the best full-back prospects in the world right now. He should be among the very best in the league within a couple of years. Would be pointless slowing down his development by limiting his game time. Clyne is very solid defensively, so some clever rotation and we should be fine. Anyway, since Lahm's retirement, don't think there is any proper world class right back about.

I do agree that right back is probably one of our weakest areas. Trent still has a naive mistake in him, Clyne is limited technically while Gomez' complacency in possession can properly infuriating at times. But, I don't think it makes any sense to bring in a new right-back. Trent is undoubtedly one of the best full-back prospects in the world right now. He should be among the very best in the league within a couple of years. Would be pointless slowing down his development by limiting his game time. Clyne is very solid defensively, so some clever rotation and we should be fine. Anyway, since Lahm's retirement, don't think there is any proper world class right back about.

Some sense in that but I don’t see any team with aspirations of winning shit not buying players cause it might stop a young player from growing.

We need two anyway and we’ve currently got a crock, a centre back prospect and someone who might/probably/hopefully will be good enough.

We’d almost certainly need Clyne off the books to make a move for someone tbf.

• Downvote 1

And the Mirror claim the Reds feel the 24-year-old may yet move to Anfield and Tyler confirmed that whilst commentating on the World Cup final on Sunday for Australian TV channel SBS.

“The reason Fekir hasn’t moved already from Lyon to Liverpool has been the structuring of the deal, with Liverpool at bit suspicious of a problem that surfaced at the medical.

“They will take him, but payments will have to be in stages, when he has proved his availability on a regular basis,” said Tyler, who reportedly spoke to Fekir prior to the final in Mosco

Why would Fekir speak to Tyler before the final when he hadn’t have a single word all WC ? Fekir has seemed very happy and stressless, which means the clubs are still in touch.

And here was me thinking that our RB was one our strongest positions. Clyne is a very good defender, limited going forward but defensively sound. Trent has done brilliant and deserved to be in the World Cup squad. Fabinho can also play there. I’d be more inclined to worry about LB, Robbo gets injured and we have the brainless one to come in. That’s scary. Looks like I’ll have to review my opinions.

• Upvote 1

And here was me thinking that our RB was one our strongest positions. Clyne is a very good defender, limited going forward but defensively sound. Trent has done brilliant and deserved to be in the World Cup squad. Fabinho can also play there. I’d be more inclined to worry about LB, Robbo gets injured and we have the brainless one to come in. That’s scary. Looks like I’ll have to review my opinions.

If you could mould them into one player I reckon he’d be the best right back in Europe. Clyne rarely gets beat one on one and his positional awareness and covering his CB’s is usually spot on he’s just ponderous on the ball and not very good at crossing whilst Trent tries to quicken the tempo by playing one touch passes and has one of the best deliveries in the league he just lacks experience with his positioning at times but that’ll come in time.

I wouldn't buy a RB at all.

Trent needs the games regularly and is so talented it would be a waste. Only time to look at RB is if he got moved into midfield and that doesn't look like happening anytime soon

Solanke would have to improve massively for him to be decent based on last season,for me. Maybe he's much better in training than he shows but I've seen nothing yet that suggests real potential.

Just something tells me he could be boss if he gets a few goals. My claim to fame is telling my mates rushie would be boss when he was just getting in the team and looked shite so i'm hoping it works for big Dom