You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ‘Buy Nabil Fekir’ Campaign

Strange that the mirror and the rest were running stories how aulas pulled the plug because Liverpool were taking too long or that Liverpool tried to lower the fee because of the players supposed dodgey knee. They even forgot the story that aulas wanted the deal to go through in Lyons next years accounts. No Liverpool have re ignited their interest solely because aulas had been talking to Mourinho and Manchester United are supposedly interested. Why do people believe this bullshit.

I'm still devastated that we got stung £28m for Bobby F thanks to their ruse.

Goddam them evil Mancs... we got so stung on that Bobby Firminio deal

Who writes this shit? I genuinely feel embarrassed for them unless they're doing it for a laugh

Goddam them evil Mancs... we got so stung on that Bobby Firminio deal

Who writes this shit? I genuinely feel embarrassed for them unless they're doing it for a laugh

The Manc version of SteveO.

• Upvote 1

Original article is by VG (Norwegian newspaper) and written by Arilas Berg.

Why the french star did not become a liverpool player

Liverpool had him as much as signed,sealed and delivered, but then it all went down the drain. 
VG has talked to the people that followed the transfer saga the closest.

On June 7th, a few days before the WC there was mutual agreement between the most credible french and british Journalists: Liverpool and Lyon had come to terms over the transfer of Fekir for 600 million Nkr.

Only the medical test, which in most cases is a formality stood between Liverpool and the signing of the french star who scored 18 goals and delivered 8 assists in Ligue 1 this season.

But then something happened, "Nabil Fekir stays in Lyon", the french club released a statement informing the negotiations had been ended.

- The story is not over

"To days before the national team departed for Russia Fekir had completed a medical, his knee problems are well documented and something showed in the scans which prompted liverpool to try to to negotiate the price down", Bilel Ghazi the journalist from L'Equipe who followed the saga closely commented.

"It really angered Lyon who immediatly pulled the plug".

But even though Lyon stated Fekir will stay, most believe he will leave this window.

"The story isnt over" The agent of Fekir, Jean-Pierre Bernes states to the french news station LCI.

The renowned french Journalist Bouhafsi commented to VG that he believes the liverpool transfer is still the most likely outcome.

" Fekir is adamant he wants to leave Lyon, and he has his heart set on Liverpool, it is up to Liverpool to initiate the transfer, but Lyon will not accept a price lower than that originally agreed. So we will soon learn how cautious Liverpool truly are about this supposed Knee"

Still believe the transfer to Liverpool will go through

Friday afternoon Fekir may get his first start for France in the WC. According the french press the national team manager Deschamps considers Fekir as a possible replacement for the suspended Matuidi, alongside Lemar and Tolisso they are the most likely stand ins. A shopping window which could potentially skyrocket his demand and price.

" Liverpool are still after him, but they are not alone, Real Madrid have declared their interest alongside Bayer Munich, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester United, but Liverpool hold a clear advantage as it is where Fekir has his mind set. I think things will conclude quickly after the World Cup, and the most likely outcome is he will complete his transfer to Liverpool" Bilel Ghazi supplemented.

Bouhafsi is clear on one thing, Fekir has everything needed to be a success at Liverpool.

" He is a unique player, a classic number 10 or attack minded central midfielder in a 3. He reminds of Coutinho, he has the style of play to shine at Liverpool if they give him free reign in the center of the park. He can link up perfectly with Firmino and Salah, especially since he is well protected with both Keita and Fabinho behind him.

Nabil Fekir has made clear to Lyon's owner he STILL wants a move to Liverpool.

And we understand the France star, who will appear in the World Cup final on Sunday, has reached an agreement that Jean Michel Aulas will at least reopen talks with the Reds to explore the prospect of resurrecting his “dream” move.

Fekir has actually met twice with Lyon chief Aulas during this World Cup, the latest after Les Blues' dramatic semi final victory over Belgium when the French owner – who is influential within the FFF - went into the dressing room to join celebrating players.

He has held sit down talks with the talented midfielder and his advisor Jean-Pierre Bernes to discuss the collapsed move to Anfield, which faltered on medical details, after a £53m deal had been agreed.

Aulas claimed to have pulled the plug on the move him, suggesting Fekir passed the medical and that Liverpool were simply taking too long to complete, but the reality was that an issue with the medical – and a second opinion – made the English club hesitate.

World-Cup-France-Training.jpg

Fekir is still determined to seal his dream move to Anfield (Image: REUTERS)

As it stands Liverpool will NOT return to the table if any deal remains on the terms originally agreed, when the deal had gone so far that Fekir was even pictured in Liverpool kit and conducted interviews for the club's TV channel.

But we understand they would be prepared to listen if Aulas were to propose a restructuring of terms, and that wouldn't even necessarily mean a reduction in the fee.

The issue is with surgery the 21-year-old had to repair anterior cruciate ligament damage.

It is understood he had a graft to repair the damage, and while the operation was a success and he returned to playing, there are concerns about potential longer term issues.

A restructuring meaning the fee was paid over the full length of his contract – which was agreed at five years on around £120,000 a week – and not up front could work, depending on his continuing fitness.

Fekir's advisors are aware of Liverpool's position, and they have made very clear to the Lyon president the player still wants a move.

Aulas is a canny negotiator, and has a reputation for being one of the toughest people in football to deal with.

He made Chelsea wait for three months to sign Michael Essien, more than doubling the price, and did the same with Florent Malouda.

He got a record fee from Real Madrid for Karim Benzema and made the sale of Hugo Lloris drag out until minutes before the transfer deadline in 2012.

A similar scenario developed in talks with Arsenal over the sale of Alexandre Lacazette, where he squeezed more than £50m out of the Gunners.

But crucially, he has already shifted his position over Fekir, first saying he would sell the player to Real Madrid, then Manchester United, before suggesting this week the midfielder could stay at Lyon.

In reality, he is positioning to get as much as the originally agreed £53m from Liverpool as possible, but has conceded that he will talk once more, to allow Fekir what even the president admitted was the player's dream move.

And we can reveal that Lyon have been in talks with a possible replacement, with the French club linked strongly to Hakim Ziyech, with his club Ajax thought to currently be in talks over a potential £20m move.

Aulas revealed this week that he held talks with two players when he visited Russia during the World Cup, both of whom have now departed the tournament, though he insisted he still hasn't agreed a fee for either player.

“We were allowed to speak with the two players at World Cup because their countries were relaxed about it, but nothing is completed yet,” Aulas explained.

Ziyech would be a direct replacement for Fekir, and it is unlikely he would announce any deal for the Morocco star until he had tied down an agreement with Liverpool.

Interestingly, the midfielder's club Ajax have confirmed he has a deal in place to leave Holland but so far has not announced the transfer, even though the transfer window is now open.

Roma have also been in talks, but their director of football Monchi said this week a deal was now unlikely.

Aulas has accepted the need to talk further, admitting to the player and his agent in their two meetings that he wants him to achieve his dream move and will negotiate further – though on Lyon's terms.

Talks will NOT take place until after the World Cup final, but there is now a real prospect they will be resurrected, and if Aulas is prepared to compromise over the structure of the deal, then the transfer can still be done.

Not sure I get the whole "all or nothing" mindset on the medical.

Of course we should look to pay any fee and wedge over the five years.

He could be fine for that time -  there are countless cases of a knee holding up professionally. 

But lets see if we can hedge the bet.

Must admit I thought most of these big transfer fees now were spread over the contract term.

I expect the idea is that the later instalments don't get paid in full if his knee stops him being available for a certain number of games.

My guess is that if the medics are saying that it's very likely his knee will be fine we might go back in for him on a new deal but I can't see us gambling if they're saying there's a significant risk.

Must admit I thought most of these big transfer fees now were spread over the contract term.

I was listening to a podcast with some journos and contract lawyers who draw up the documents and apparently most standard transfers are done in 3 installments. About half up front and then I can't remember whether it's 25-25% on the other two or what. But they're usually fully paid within 2-3 years at the longest.

I have to say I'm really surprised we'd still be interested. Not that we'd be interested in him as a player - he's great. But I would think with the medical it would be a yes or no decision, not a "well, we could live with this, if some portion of his fee were subject to his fitness." But I guess Henry is a hedge fund guy so the idea of hedging a bet will be right up his alley. Just have to convince Aulas that it's in his interest now.

Sounds like we want them to basically act as insurance underwriters using the fee.

If his knee pops in two seasons you get no more but he is still our asset.

With the millions involved that could a legal nightmare. Arguing if the current injury is a result of the previous etc.

Walk away.