You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ‘Buy Nabil Fekir’ Campaign

I think certain clubs have a better ability to absorb casualties - that allows them to take chances some cannot

From the outside it would seem like we are one of them, but for some reason not in this case.

I think it was more to do with the probability of a new knee injury more than his past injury records, I’ve read that the MRI showed his surgery wasn’t a very good job which means he’s more likely to have a recurrence of his injury, which by all accounts was a real bad one, I’d guess that we tried to lower the price which I believe is the correct thing to do in these circumstances. Either Lyon know his knees fucked and want rid before it goes again and there goes their big fee for him, in which case they should accept a lower fee, that’s IF they know it’s fucked but if they’re confident it’s completely fine then they shouldn’t be opposed to a fee based on appearances per year, if we agreed a £53m fee then something like £35m up front then £5m every year for 5 years in which he’s available for a certain percentage of games eg 85%.

For what it’s worth I think the deals over and we’re onto alternatives.

I do find it interesting how we have pulled the plug on a transfer because the player was once injured a long time ago, while United have just splashed £19m on a teenage defender who is literally on crutches at the moment.

I don't think that this is a point worth making. The injury to Dalot is minor in nature and by the looks of it, doesn't require surgery. Fekir missed a season with an ACL injury and needed surgery and had another issue with the knee last season.

So what's the consensus on the actual story? I've heard he failed the medical but we won't release it like we did with Remy for whatever reason. I've heard he didn't fail the medical so much as they thought the surgeon did a shitty job on his knee and therefore he's likely to need to either have follow up surgery for it to be repaired in full or risk suffering the same injury again. Then the last one is that Lyon want it to be on next seasons books.

I think option 2 seems most likely, I think had he failed the medical it would've been leaked at the least if not used outright as a PR campaign for us not signing the player. Option 3 being possible because it could make sense for one or both parties from an FFP perspective.

In any case, it's one of those transfers for me that doesn't seem like it's entirely over. I believe we're at least in part looking to see how he gets on through the WC, and I think in a year where an international tournament wasn't a factor we may have pulled the trigger. Especially with our history of players bought with injury concerns only to have them show up and in some cases ruin the players career, whilst the club foot their bills, it makes sense to see what happens. The other side of that is obviously that he has a dream tournament and we have to pay more or get priced out but allegedly the player doesn't have a problem with the club and would give us first priority so that seems less of an issue. On the other hand we bought Ox who's had similar injury issues and his recurred this season, at the worst possible time for both club and player. Could be as simple as the club learning it's lesson and deciding there are other options with less risk.

Doubt we will go back in for him now, but there was a slightly unique edge to the deal with him leaving for the World Cup the following day. Time pressures to get it all tied up within 24 hours, or wait til after the tournament, wouldn’t exactly allow for the calm reflection and discussion needed when weighing up a sizable risk of future injury at £50-£60M.

I had a similar situation once when being pressed to make a snap decision on a pair of £50 jeans, because they were pulling the shutters down on the shop and the manager was stood by the door with her keys out whistling, so I’ve got invaluable insight on this.

Slept on it and went back the next day to snap them up at my own pace. Buy in haste, repent at leisure. Maybe Edwards is just showing similar wisdom, and depending on how the land lies when the WC is over there may be a less pressurised environment for all parties to discuss again.

• Upvote 1