You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ‘Buy Nabil Fekir’ Campaign

Well if something showed up on the medical it could potentially change the whole deal. Insuring players cost a lot of money, insuring someone with a suspect knee issue will cost a hell of a lot more. Especially if he cost 60 mill and earns around 90k per week...

• Upvote 1

We won't say anything officially if he's got a suspect knee. The player wanted the move, so to even intimate it would be poor of us, even if that means fans kick off about the club screwing the deal up. Instead, fall back to letting Lyon claim we buggered about or they wanted to keep him.

There's still a possibility it goes through at a later date. All fees are subject to medical anyway, it's just not often that anything arises that's noteworthy enough to have an impact on what was previously agreed.

One titbit I did find interesting though, someone intimating on twitter (yes, I know) that it was the other knee that was of concern.

If its true that we tried to renegotiate the deal because of the findings, then in my opinion that's pretty low.

You either want someone, or you don't. It's pretty black and white for me.

Have we tried to renegotiate though? Some people are saying he simply failed the medical. And we sought a second opinion.

If that’s the case then I’m glad we passed up on the deal. It’s a bit of a shitter but at least it shows we’re being run competently.

I’m looking forward to finding out who’s next on the list and I’m hoping it’s a forward player that allows us to rotate without any real drop off in quality. Add Shaqiri to that as well and we’re set fair

Mane, Firmino, Salah

(Boss new man, Shaqiri, Ings/Solanke/Origi)

Massive improvement on the season just gone and doesn’t leave us one injury away from turning to shit.

• Upvote 1

If you entered negotiations to buy a car then you found out it had suffered crash damage which hadn't been repaired satisfactorily you might still want it but you'd offer less than the asking price. I don't see what's so difficult for people to understand about that. Sounds like Lyon have been dicks about this, not us.

• Upvote 2

I pulled this off TIA's forum. I have no knowledge of the reliability of those tweeting, albeit one is informative when it comes to the treatment of ACL injuries, if nothing else.

SimonBrundish

@SimonBrundish

Seems fekir failed his medical because someone just realised he had an allograft not autograft on his ACL 2 yrs ago. John Henry only likes Autografts as he is a trustee of the hospital that invented the surgery in 1979

11:54 AM - Jun 8, 2018 · Hilton, England

tanveer chohan

@TanSinghChohan

FEKIR MEDICAL: A DOCTOR'S PERSPECTIVE.Through various sources, it has become clear that Liverpool had an issue with Fekir's medical assessment.For the medical, they would have had full access to his notes, scans and operation details.He had an ACL reconstruction in 2015.(1 of 3)

5:37 PM - 9 Jun 2018

tanveer chohan‏

@TanSinghChohan

.....These reconstructions are usually done by taking a tendon from one of the leg muscles and attaching it to the knee [an autograft] or taking a tendon from an organ donor [allograft]. Through looking at studies comparing the two methods, we know that Allografts are... (2 of

tanveer chohan‏

@TanSinghChohan

...associated with a higher failure rate, particularly in younger, more active patients. This is why Liverpool see the outlay of circa £50mill a huge risk for someone who will be playing high octane "heavy metal football" or perhaps a bargaining chip for the astute Edwards?(3of3)

BBC say we did not try to renegotiate; L' Equipe say otherwise. Hard to believe anyone at this point. But I don't think we have seen the end of the Fekir saga.

My suspicion is that they tried to lower the price after we fucked him off. Had we not already agreed a fee prior to the medical, it wouldn’t have happened. Even if we weren’t happy with the medical, and the opinion was that his knee could blow, we were right - no matter how inconvenient to the fans, like the person who started this thread, it is - to pull out or lessen the risk. The money is clearly there and available. I’m sure we will look at somebody else.

• Upvote 1

Can't believe so many people losing their shit here and online.

Im no fan of the owners but they have done fuck all wrong here

Even if we did trydo the terms of the deal after his medical came back funny, so what he isnt fully fit in medical terms and the club shouldn't be fucking around with a deal that would cost around 90ml over 5 years in wages and fee. We can't be pissing money up the wall without being covered

• Upvote 3

If what that Dr tweeted about his ACL reconstruction is true, we were right to pull out. Way too big a risk. Just move on.

Depends if you can restructure the deal that we are not on the hook for the full amount if he breaks and you can get the insurance on wages