You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ‘Buy Nabil Fekir’ Campaign

I've said this before but I don't think he is for us. He's a pure #10 and Lyon revolve around him. I'm not sure where he would play for us. He's not a centre mid and he's not a winger, not even a false one like Coutinho was. Maybe he could play in front of Keita and Henderson in a 4-2-3-1 or in the Firmino position but it's not obvious.

As a player, though, there are no qualms about him. He's great.

Good, the more Muslim superstars the better the commercial opportunity. We should buy Fekir and Mahrez and keep Can, along with Salah, Keita and Mane we'd have the best collection of Muslim footballers in the world. The Middle Eastern, African and Asian markets could be very lucrative if we had people competent enough to exploit the opportunities. They're top players too.

I've said this before but I don't think he is for us. He's a pure #10 and Lyon revolve around him. I'm not sure where he would play for us. He's not a centre mid and he's not a winger, not even a false one like Coutinho was. Maybe he could play in front of Keita and Henderson in a 4-2-3-1 or in the Firmino position but it's not obvious.

As a player, though, there are no qualms about him. He's great.

Agree with this.

Love him as a player, but he requires the sort of devotion to a position and ideology that only a few teams operate with.

Bit like Pastore at PSG, he's in the #10 wilderness, unable to play in any other position in that team now they have decided to play differently. But he's world class in that sort of Pastore, Eriksen, Mata, Hamsik, Mkhitaryan, Gotze. The sort of players that haven't quite got the pace and directness to be able to do a role out wide, and haven't got the workrate and stamina to play deeper and become a midfielder.

It could be that Fekir could develop into a deeper player, but I doubt it, I think his injury record shows what would happen if you made him run around a bit more.

I've said this before but I don't think he is for us. He's a pure #10 and Lyon revolve around him. I'm not sure where he would play for us. He's not a centre mid and he's not a winger, not even a false one like Coutinho was. Maybe he could play in front of Keita and Henderson in a 4-2-3-1 or in the Firmino position but it's not obvious.

As a player, though, there are no qualms about him. He's great.

Agree with this.

Love him as a player, but he requires the sort of devotion to a position and ideology that only a few teams operate with.

Bit like Pastore at PSG, he's in the #10 wilderness, unable to play in any other position in that team now they have decided to play differently. But he's world class in that sort of Pastore, Eriksen, Mata, Hamsik, Mkhitaryan, Gotze. The sort of players that haven't quite got the pace and directness to be able to do a role out wide, and haven't got the workrate and stamina to play deeper and become a midfielder.

It could be that Fekir could develop into a deeper player, but I doubt it, I think his injury record shows what would happen if you made him run around a bit more.

• Nabil Fékir was given the man of the match award in Lyon’s 2-1 victory over Paris Saint-Germain after scoring a fine free-kick and being the creative fulcrum for the hosts. What made his performance even more impressive was that he did not play in his normal No10 role but as a central midfielder. Fékir has improved his work ethic this season but was now being asked to take on a bigger load – and against the league leaders to boot. Lyon were the better for his performance, though, with Tanguy N’Dombélé now freed to influence the attack. This tactic will not always be ideal against more defensively minded opposition as it leaves Fékir too far from goal but, against PSG, it was a stroke of genius from the oft-embattled Bruno Génésio.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/22/jeremy-toulalan-bordeaux-gourvennec-malcom-gus-poyet

• Nabil Fékir was given the man of the match award in Lyon’s 2-1 victory over Paris Saint-Germain after scoring a fine free-kick and being the creative fulcrum for the hosts. What made his performance even more impressive was that he did not play in his normal No10 role but as a central midfielder. Fékir has improved his work ethic this season but was now being asked to take on a bigger load – and against the league leaders to boot. Lyon were the better for his performance, though, with Tanguy N’Dombélé now freed to influence the attack. This tactic will not always be ideal against more defensively minded opposition as it leaves Fékir too far from goal but, against PSG, it was a stroke of genius from the oft-embattled Bruno Génésio.https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/22/jeremy-toulalan-bordeaux-gourvennec-malcom-gus-poyet

Could we sign him instead?

• 3 months later...