You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go Sober for Mind

Fowlers God

I’ve also been to the pub today for a couple of hours without having a beer. Can you all give me some money too please?

I think we know what you will spend the money on. Although that may be considered a good cause to some, it isn't necessarily for charidee.

Drunk people aren’t though when you are sober.

The two lads that I was with were very tipsy by the time we left and I was still having a laugh with them. Maybe cause it’s all still a bit novel it’s ok atm ?

Already over the £700 mark 2 months in tonight and with the people I know who are donating Monthly/6 monthly etc I will fucking smash this target, so thanks to you all!!

• Upvote 1

I have loads of admiration and respect for what FG and Anny are doing and have accomplished already.

I was drinking heavily for a month leading upto my birthday in the middle of last month, I decided that once that was over I'd cut right back, for no other reason than to clean myself out for a while. So, while not quitting altogether, I have cut right back, a 6 hour bender after work the other Friday and I only had 3 pints, buying lime and soda mostly inbetween.

Truthfully it hasn't been so bad, the hardest part has been fielding the constant barage of questions and quizical looks from mates; I've never had so many people offer to buy me a pint, and my wallet has certainly benifited.

I'll defo drop in a donation to your pot FG, when I get round to it mate. Keep it up!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small Bump for those that have promised donations, they’re welcome at anytime.

A small update for those who have already sponsored me, I went to the game Saturday and it was the first game that I’d been to that I hadn’t woken up early with the promise of a pint to myself and a couple of cans on the train on the way down. It felt almost weird holding my tea cup on the train wondering what we had in store. A quick few non alcoholic drinks in the pub with Matty (or Joseph as my brother kept calling him for the brightly coloured, stripes that he was sporting. Forget Cargogate this was something for the eyes to behold)

Anyway it was a great day out Sober Non the less and then travelled home on traumatic train journeys that by the time I arrived the lads were already arriving with their crates and sat in my front room waiting for me to accompany them for the boxing. Again sat there sober while all around were getting plastered.

Then roll on last night. I’ve never been so high before I’m all my life. Well I have, off marijuana but this was something else. From the moment I got home to the moment I got to sleep circa 0100 I was fucking buzzing my tits off on adrenaline from the game.

I’m still fucking gagging for that G&T and but surprisingly (well for me anyway) I’m actually enjoying myself not drinking.

Would be nice to keep those donations coming rolling in too-

Thanks

• Upvote 2

Just a small Bump for those that have promised donations, they’re welcome at anytime.

A small update for those who have already sponsored me, I went to the game Saturday and it was the first game that I’d been to that I hadn’t woken up early with the promise of a pint to myself and a couple of cans on the train on the way down. It felt almost weird holding my tea cup on the train wondering what we had in store. A quick few non alcoholic drinks in the pub with Matty (or Joseph as my brother kept calling him for the brightly coloured, stripes that he was sporting. Forget Cargogate this was something for the eyes to behold)

Anyway it was a great day out Sober Non the less and then travelled home on traumatic train journeys that by the time I arrived the lads were already arriving with their crates and sat in my front room waiting for me to accompany them for the boxing. Again sat there sober while all around were getting plastered.

Then roll on last night. I’ve never been so high before I’m all my life. Well I have, off marijuana but this was something else. From the moment I got home to the moment I got to sleep circa 0100 I was fucking buzzing my tits off on adrenaline from the game.

I’m still fucking gagging for that G&T and but surprisingly (well for me anyway) I’m actually enjoying myself not drinking.

Would be nice to keep those donations coming rolling in too-

Thanks

Nice update. This is going to cost me a few quid but it's for a very good cause and long may it continue. There are no better highs than the natural ones as they rarely come with any side effects other than the natural drop down but you can treasure the whole experience rather than bits and pieces. 

Keep up the grand work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update really on where I’m at,

Becoming a lifestyle now instead of a choice. Had a kids football tournament today and the year 2’s I teach are dog shite, yet today we won our first EVER game. Normally I’d be celebrating with copious amounts of Gin but tonight I’ve had several cups of tea.

Nearly at the 4 month stage and it would be great if I could get some more donations. I’ve already beaten my initial target and now I’m ready for another £500 to challenge people!

Thanks and minke is below again just in case anyone has missed it.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dan-jones40

• Upvote 1

I think you know how hard this will be for me. But it had to be hard, if it was easy what would the point of doing it?

And not only do I raise money, hopefully I lose weight and feel better for it in the long run.

I'm up to date with this. I have donated £4 for the first four months so that's the little payments complete. They will be going up now so keep up the good work and there will be another £44 to come by the end of the year.

Good work!

Just an update really on where I’m at,

Becoming a lifestyle now instead of a choice. Had a kids football tournament today and the year 2’s I teach are dog shite, yet today we won our first EVER game. Normally I’d be celebrating with copious amounts of Gin but tonight I’ve had several cups of tea.

Nearly at the 4 month stage and it would be great if I could get some more donations. I’ve already beaten my initial target and now I’m ready for another £500 to challenge people!

Thanks and minke is below again just in case anyone has missed it.

Interesting point -- Do you think you will start drinking again after the year is up?

4 months Sober Today. Thanks for all your donations so far. You’re all keeping me going. I’ve already smashed my initial target and now looking to get to £1500. Help a brother out and get me there! Thanks again

Fair play mate, I pledge to make a donation when I get paid next Friday. I've been trying to do something similar, not to raise money or for any good cause but just for my own health and sanity. Never seem to make it past 2 or 3 weeks though. Of course, I'll be getting twatted next Saturday and all being well, for the majority of the week after. Anyway, great job, keep it going

• 1 month later...

As many of you are aware, I have had to deal with a lot of shit lately. This year has been less than fun. It’s been an emotional ride and I’m finally coming out the other side.

But today marks 5 months Sober. Through all the heat, World Cup, Nights out, marriage failure etc I am still Sober. So please if you have pledged to donate please do, if you’ve yet to donate to this wonderful cause please do, and if you haven’t made your mind up because you thought I would fail, please do.

I wouldn’t have been able to do this without you!

Thanks

• Upvote 1