You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go Sober for Mind

Fowlers God

FG will be so offended by that he’ll need a drink to take the edge off.

It’s very strange and I don’t want to take anything away from Anny or anyone else battling addiction but I’m in almost a recovery position myself.

Take this evening for example I can’t remember the last time I hadn’t watched us play without having a drink. It’s about changing my behaviours while still being surrounded by people drinking.

I have a meeting about kids football on Thursday and it’s being held in a pub.

Even though I’m only on day 2 I’m very much looking forward to this

• Upvote 1

It’s very strange and I don’t want to take anything away from Anny or anyone else battling addiction but I’m in almost a recovery position myself.

Keep up the good work - fella.

I think you will find many, if not most addicts have been in almost recovery positions dozens of times though so dont sell the effort short. Its a marathon not a sprint.

ff0cf3f6162619200e260c2a9368645e.jpg

And there she is. I’m still going to add to my collection over the year too.

I actually have one of those globes (not quite as fancy as that and sadly empty) Was going to put it on eBay but I’d be happy to sell it on here if anyone’s interested and will donate half to FG’s cause. I’ve not had it long but we’ve moved and there isn’t really anywhere for it.

That’s fucking awesome and that kind of donations will really help being motivated. But I won’t cave in.

I will plan on making each payment on 28th of each month starting 28th January. I assume I can donate on the website you have posted?

I will plan on making each payment on 28th of each month starting 28th January. I assume I can donate on the website you have posted?

I missed this, but yes you can and donation received- Thanks

Today marks 1 whole week sober. A whole fucking week- now that might not be much to some but it is for me. I promise I won’t badger you all with this weekly but if you had missed the link it’s below

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dan-jones40

I’ll update you all in a month or so! Thanks kids and thanks for those that have donated!

• Upvote 1

First Anny and now FG, poor Lurtzy's gonna be sleeping in a cardboard box at this rate.

I actually still went to the club after the unmentionable this morning and still had engaged in actives and banter.

Today has actually been the hardest day, Sunday drinking is my favourite day with the sport and Roast/ Family gatherings etc. But I’ve made it and feel good about it-

• 3 weeks later...

One whole month today without a drink and my target of £1,000 is already at Half Way.

Thank you all who have donated so far and if you haven’t so far and want to know what and why I’m doing this please read my story below.

For those that know me, know that I am partial to the odd drink every now and again. I lost a dear friend 9 years ago and unfortunately wasn’t able to do more for him. I’ve decided that I’d like to try and do more for others in his name.

I am aiming at raising £1,000 in the Name of my good friend Jamie Folwell for the Charity Mind which I know is a charity that was very close to his heart.

Now I can’t run, so a marathon was out of the question and I am certainly not jumping out of no plane so I have decided to go Sober for a year. Yes that is no alcohol for 1 whole year until our annual drinks next year in Jamie’s memory.

I hope you understand how hard this will be for me and I hope that you will dig deep in keeping me motivated throughout the year.

Thanks for all of your donations in advance.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dan-jones40

• 3 weeks later...

How are you getting on with this? I am due to make another payment on March 28th for the next two months. Have you kept it going?

100% buddy. I dreamt last night that I’d had a glass of Red and woke up feeling very guilty.

It’s very hard at the minute with that Shitfest at 1230 looming over me not to get completely shit faced but I’m feeling very good actually.

Got a few social events coming up soon though that will be tough but trust me I won’t crumble

I am going to donate £48. This is going to be donated thus:

£1 per month for the first 4 months. £4

£2 month 5. £6

£3 month 6. £9

£4 month 7. £13

£5 month 8. £18

£6 month 9. £24

£7 month 10. £31

£8 month 11. £39

£9 month 12. £48

Hopefully my maths is correct and I can donate to the cause month by month or the deals off. You drink, the deals off. You will keep all the donations made until the deal ends, up until the end of month 12.

Deal?

I'll match Shooters excellent deal.

As an extra incentive, if you make the 12 months, I'll add £1 for each month to take it up to £60

But I'm both lazy and forgetful, so I will pay the appropriate amount when its all done and dusted depending on how far you get. Just remind me if I forget...

• Upvote 2

I'll match Shooters excellent deal.

As an extra incentive, if you make the 12 months, I'll add £1 for each month to take it up to £60

But I'm both lazy and forgetful, so I will pay the appropriate amount when its all done and dusted depending on how far you get. Just remind me if I forget...

Thanks Ben!

• Upvote 2

How’s your weight and fitness going mate? Great work by the way. Weight is falling off me and I’m fitter and fitter.

It’s amazing how may people who think of themselves as normal drinkers actually have a major problem ( not meaning you). Most of the lads I know think I am going OTT with my plan but that’s because they drink more than me. I’ve actually had a few messages from mates wives asking me to have a word with their bloke wishing they could do the same.

Once I’m done I’ll chuck in a few quid.

Good on you. My motivation is not to be dead or divorced yours is a bit more altruistic.

• Upvote 1

Having an absolute mad one tonight. I’ve talked myself into staying up and not going to bed, drinking a Chai Tea Latte and having a small chocolate bar.

Please can you give me something tonight to cheer about? If you’re off out for a pint why don’t you buy me one in the form of a donation? Thanks for everything you’ve contributed so far.

How’s your weight and fitness going mate? Great work by the way. Weight is falling off me and I’m fitter and fitter.

It’s amazing how may people who think of themselves as normal drinkers actually have a major problem ( not meaning you). Most of the lads I know think I am going OTT with my plan but that’s because they drink more than me. I’ve actually had a few messages from mates wives asking me to have a word with their bloke wishing they could do the same.

Once I’m done I’ll chuck in a few quid.

Good on you. My motivation is not to be dead or divorced yours is a bit more altruistic.

It’s pretty shit so far in forms of weight loss and fitness. I think I’ve lost a bit but not a lot as I’m definitely eatya lot more to compensate not drinking. Although I gave myself two months or so to enjoy myself before I start a fitness kick.

It’s 2 months on Sunday coming so I’m thinking about doing Couch to 5K if my knee can hold up- that will be 2 months of focus hopefully.

How are you holding up? Tomorrow is gonna be horrible with them Rat bastards at lunch time as if normally be fucking wankered all day playing them. It’s gonna be torture without alcohol but I’ll get through it I’m sure.

I'm good mate. Thanks. Not missing the shit but id be lying if I said I'm not occasionally missing a skinfull.

1st of these games sober I can ever remember. Maybe good luck we shall see.

This in a nutshell. I’m actually not missing the everyday, chill out drinking but I fucking love getting hammered and I’m missing that the most.

100% buddy. I dreamt last night that I’d had a glass of Red and woke up feeling very guilty.

It’s very hard at the minute with that Shitfest at 1230 looming over me not to get completely shit faced but I’m feeling very good actually.

Got a few social events coming up soon though that will be tough but trust me I won’t crumble

Although your determination is costing me money, I'm very pleased to read this report so keep costing me money and I'll keep sending it over.

Keep up the good work. I used to drink loads when younger but had to stop for health reasons. Same as smoking cigarettes. Two of the best decisions I ever made and I have saved fortunes on these vices over the years.

It gets easier as time passes and as you replace one habit with another. Now I'm a workaholic!

Good Morning all.

On Sunday it will have been two months. I’m actually quite shocked myself.... but I’m here and still going. I think that I’ve done the hard part but actually stopping was most probably going to be the easiest part. Maintaining my soberiety is where it becomes really hard.

I’ve spent the odd hour in the pub after footy Sunday afternoons and had the odd meal out but right now I’m getting ready to go out for my mates birthday into town for Gold Cup day. An afternoon of Lads, Beer and gambling- well for me I will be on tea or soft drinks.

So today is going to be a massive challenge and one that I’m sort of looking forward too however this one is one of many large social gatherings that I will have to deal with Sober for the coming year.

The hardest part for me in this today is that the life and soul of every party. I’m the really loud dick that makes everyone laugh by telling jokes or really funny story’s and I’m concerned that I may just not be that funny guy without alcohol. I mean I know I am and sorry for rambling, I’m just trying to make this slightly more personal so you guys donate some money!!

Have a great day