You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Non-League Football Thread

Bjornebye

Nope, not another Scottish Football thread before the comedians come out from behind their fellas. 

I grew up in Prescot so have always kept an eye out for Prescot Cables. Used to go a bit when I was a kid as they only play round the corner from my dads. They are doing well this season, 3rd in the Evo-Stick North Division 1 and being tipped for promotion. 

A fair few local teams doing ok right now. City of Liverpool 7th in their league. AFC Liverpool in the relegation zone unfortunately. 

Anyone else keep an eye out on non-league teams? 

I keep an eye out for Southport. I used to be on their books and been to see them the last couple of years when playing Tranmere. Also a mate of mine has just signed for them so always interested.

Also look out for Torquay Utd. My missus lived there a few years back and lived a stone throw away from Plainmoor. We went to go and see them when they were in the League 2 play off final at Old Trafford a few years back. Man U had just won their 19th title and they had Champ19ns emblazoned all over the stadium. Nauseating. We went into a pub just outside the group for a drink beforehand and when we walked in it was full of Utd fans, they were playing Barcelona in the CL final that day so had filled the place up. Had to get the good lady to go the bar for us because my dulcet Scouse tones would have earnt me a beating no doubt.

Anyway, Torquay lost. So did Utd.

• Upvote 1

I always keep an eye out for York city as I was born there.  They've fallen down to the Northern League in recent years and started off this season badly but have pulled out a few decent results the last few weeks. 

York City is my old man's team (as he was born there). He talks about beating United 3-0 about once a week. 23 years ago that was...fucking hell.

Just googled their current squad and noticed they've got big Jon Parkin upfront. They also must have the most glamorous squad in the sixth tier of football with players from Algeria, Cameroon, Portugal and St Kitts.

• Upvote 1

I keep an eye out for Southport. I used to be on their books and been to see them the last couple of years when playing Tranmere. Also a mate of mine has just signed for them so always interested.

Also look out for Torquay Utd. My missus lived there a few years back and lived a stone throw away from Plainmoor. We went to go and see them when they were in the League 2 play off final at Old Trafford a few years back. Man U had just won their 19th title and they had Champ19ns emblazoned all over the stadium. Nauseating. We went into a pub just outside the group for a drink beforehand and when we walked in it was full of Utd fans, they were playing Barcelona in the CL final that day so had filled the place up. Had to get the good lady to go the bar for us because my dulcet Scouse tones would have earnt me a beating no doubt.

Anyway, Torquay lost. So did Utd.

Haha saw this picture of torquay fans on twitter earlier

4a9b3618911e83c84dbbda93ee35547a.jpg

Cammell Lairds are always worth a watch. I feel like I should go more, but I've had a good time whenever I've taken a game in. There's a social club over the road that does San Miguel on tap and if you're going into the match, they can pour your bev into a plastic cup and you can take it outside with you and into the ground. About 10 mins walk away, there's a cracking gastropub on the Rock Ferry shore, where the food is top drawer and there's a great selection of ales.

They've had a bit of a torrid time recently though. Last time I went to see them was last season, when they played Maine Road; that Man City fans team. They ended up drawing 2-2 after they came flying out of the traps, going 2-0 up early doors, and were lucky to hang on for a point after blowing out of their arses from early in the second half. If I remember rightly, that was their first point of the season and that was in something like November.

Went a few times to Southport with one of my old bosses. He had a season ticket just to the side of the directors box & used to give the then-chairman, Charlie Clapham, abuse for 90 minutes if things weren't going well ( 'Get your hand in your pocket you mingebag' being a regular favourite of his ) He had the loudest voice of anybody I have ever worked with so it got quite embarrassing & I started to look for excuses to avoid the ticket in the end. 

Used to live by Marines ground and would go there a few times. However, the club was run like Royston Vasey and there was this weird attitude that they never wanted to progress up the leagues because of the 3 sided ground.

They were funny with my Dad when we went to watch a game because my dad scored 4 against them in an FA Cup qualifier about 15 years previously.

• Upvote 2

Used to go see Torquay a bit when back west as a mate is a big fan of theirs. My hometown Tiverton on occasion as well. Torquay doing so badly these days I wouldn't be surprised to see tivvy overtake them in a year or two.

Weird seeing a photo of torquay fans without Paul bastard (the superfan's superfan) though. An even bigger, pale arse but a legend.

Google Paul Bastard Torquay if you dare

Used to go see Torquay a bit when back west as a mate is a big fan of theirs. My hometown Tiverton on occasion as well. Torquay doing so badly these days I wouldn't be surprised to see tivvy overtake them in a year or two.

Weird seeing a photo of torquay fans without Paul bastard (the superfan's superfan) though. An even bigger, pale arse but a legend.

Google Paul Bastard Torquay if you dare

I have mentioned it on herd before but I will repeat.

My mate from school moved to Torquay and I used to go down there for a laugh and work in the summer.

The locals by and large don't seem to give that much of a shit about footy the ones that do generally supported us, United or Tottenham. To a man they couldn't have given a flying fuck about their hometown club so am not surprised they are in the position they currently are. I also wouldnt be surprised if they had back to back relagations but I hope they win today cause for some fucking stupid reason I have got them in an acca.

Yeah, pretty much.  The ground is in the middle of a increasingly middle class terraced housing full of elderly people who moved to the area to get near the sea and the council care much more about their council tax than the club.  I believe a lot of fans who would previously drive there (like my mate) now can't due to parking restrictions and at that level the club can't cope with the attrition in gate income.  They've had some real chancers (and their fair share of good intentioned, but lacking resources, locals) in charge as well.

Been over a decade since I went and this was the case back then, only heard bits of how things have gotten worse.

Yeah, pretty much. The ground is in the middle of a increasingly middle class terraced housing full of elderly people who moved to the area to get near the sea and the council care much more about their council tax than the club. I believe a lot of fans who would previously drive there (like my mate) now can't due to parking restrictions and at that level the club can't cope with the attrition in gate income. They've had some real chancers (and their fair share of good intentioned, but lacking resources, locals) in charge as well.

Been over a decade since I went and this was the case back then, only heard bits of how things have gotten worse.

Thing is though if probably cost peanuts to go and watch them play and even though they wouldn't have played fantastic football it would have still been a good day out with your mates on a Saturday afternoon. That is what I mean by not being a football town. Most fans from elsewhere in the country would have included a Saturday afternoon watching your local club in the afternoon drinking session. I was last in Torquay in 1999 and they were a safe club in their division they even got promotion at least once but the locals just couldn't give a fuck.

I knew of 2 people in the time I was down there who showed any type of interest in the club. One was a lad my age who went to school with my mate down there he was born in Torquay but was a Liverpool supporter but he would read about Torquay in the local paper nothing more. Another was a head chef in a hotel who supported spurs and he was a big more of a fan as I think he have actually gone the game on occasion.

When I was down there Jason Roberts was down there I remember walking past him you could tell the Torquay footballers when they walked past you as they had the same trackies on. Never thought nothing more of if till he rolled up in the prem.

It costs about twenty quid to watch Exeter City in League 2, or did a couple of years ago anyway.

Similar price to see Sevilla, and more than it is to watch Betis.

Twenty fucking quid to watch fourth tier football.

Yeah, the prices are ridiculous. I'd rather watch League 2 than La Liga, though. Can't be arsed with modern-day top flight footy.

Yeah, the prices are ridiculous. I'd rather watch League 2 than La Liga, though. Can't be arsed with modern-day top flight footy.

I can't really be arsed with watching Sevilla, but watching Betis doesn't feel like modern day top flight footy (and it's about 15 euros).

But neither Sevilla club has a problem filling their grounds, but a lot of these 10k capacity League 2 stadiums are, at best, half full for most games. They should be doing far more to attract people into the ground.

To be fair, I refuse to pay 40/50 quid to watch top flight football as well.

• Upvote 1