You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Manchester City 3 (Jan 14 2018)

tlw content

mancityreport2.jpg

I’d had this fixture circled in the calendar for months. Ever since that farcical game at the Etihad when Jon Moss ruined what was shaping up to be an absolute classic, I couldn’t wait for another crack at toppling City. Along with drawing Barcelona in the Champions League, it’s the thing I've wanted more than anything else this season. 

I was convinced we’d have won that game at the Etihad had Mané not been sent off and for months I've been convinced we’d win this one too. That said, I’d be lying if I said the late withdrawal of Van Dijk didn’t shake my confidence a little, but I still felt we’d win the game. Not because I think we’re better than City, but because our style is best suited to beating them and because Anfield has been a miserable venue for them. 

When City conceded a stoppage time penalty at Selhurst Park recently, I was desperately hoping Palace would choke and I was made up they did. I wanted it to be us who inflicted their first defeat. I daresay Guardiola and his players would prefer it this way too, as surely it’s more preferable to lose their unbeaten streak to a team who are worthy adversaries than to a dodgy penalty against a side coached by Roy Hodgson. 

This was a pulsating game between the two best teams in the league. Whether we actually finish second or not doesn’t change that for me. The only team right now who are better than us are City, and as long as we steer clear of injuries I expect the league table will reflect that in May. 

We fully deserved the win and it’s a little annoying that the scoreline ended up as close as it did considering we were 4-1 up for a brief, glorious, spell. That said, City didn’t deserve to be hammered either so a one goal margin of victory is probably right all things considered. It’s just disheartening to concede three again, especially considering how well we defended as a team right up until the last five minutes when it started to unravel. 

Why did that happen? Tired legs and nerves I’d say. I mean, how could players not be tired after the phenomenal amount of work they put into this? I’d be interested to see the distance covered stats for the team as a whole, and also for the midfield three in particular. Wijnaldum seemed to get though an unbelievable amount of work and still looked fresh even at the end. Amazing stamina and desire from him. 

It’s not just about running though, there’s an intricacy about our pressing game that is way beyond my limited comprehension. It looks easy to the untrained eye. Basically it looks like everyone just charging around closing down the man with the ball, but it’s so much more than that. It’s all about closing off angles and pressing at the right moments. 

We got an insight into it last week when Ox spoke about how it took him a while to get it all figured out, and how if one man doesn’t do it properly then he’s hanging everyone else out to dry. What we saw in this game was probably the best example of Klopp’s press since he’s been here. From what I recall he said the game in Maribor was the best ‘counter pressing’ performance, but there’s a big difference between doing it against Maribor than being able to sustain it against Guardiola’s previously invincible juggernaut. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

• Upvote 5

I agree tiredness played a massive part in those last 2 goals for city, I also thought Klopp was wrong to sling an attacking midfielder on in Lallana at 4-2 rather than maybe bring Klavan or TAA on instead. See Milner gets a bit of stick elsewhere for that last minute foul but have not people been saying we should be a wee bit cynical more often.

Fab Usher. Prompt too. And no "jabroni"s as well. Looking good.

Tell me though, Firmino's caution...

X

Actually, being serious, a simply stupendous performance that will live long in my memory. Your report does it the justice it deserves. Klopp and the boys have done us proud.

• Upvote 1

The timing for this win is perfect. Hopefully the likes of Lemar, Mahrez, Goretzka  and other potential targets saw this match on the telly.

Seeing how we play, how players improve under Klopp, i.e. Oxlade Chamberlain, how we still are a good team after selling out most prominent player. Surely there must be some temptation towards  joining us.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

The timing for this win is perfect. Hopefully the likes of Lemar, Mahrez, Goretzka  and other potential targets saw this match on the telly.

Seeing how we play, how players improve under Klopp, i.e. Oxlade Chamberlain, how we still are a good team after selling out most prominent player. Surely there must be some temptation towards  joining us.

That's a great point mate. 

Great report but how you can count Mignolet as “To me he’s a good keeper and there aren’t too many better in the Premier League” I’ll never know.

Keepers better than Mig:

Ederson

De Gea

Courtois

Lloris

Cech

Heaton

Pope

Schmeichel

Pickford

Gomes

Adrian

Begovic

Butland

Foster

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Excellent report that,after we went 2-1up and they kicked off again the noise was unbelievable, the fans demanded we get straight back at them and that’s exactly what they did,city’s defence couldn’t handle the atmosphere or the press,I think the fans deserve an assist for that third goal,exhilarating stuff