You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cyrille Regis

Stickman

Football grounds in the late 70's and 80's resounded to "Nice one Cyrille, nice one son, Nice one Cyrille, let's have another one" more than a few times.

I remember seeing him at Anfield for the first time when I was a nipper playing for the Albion. I think it was 79/80 season when Atkinson had them challenging and West Brom and Forest were our title rivals.

They came to Anfield, in with a shout of the league and we beat them 2-1, it was a hard fought game and our lads knew they'd had a battle that day.

He was built like a boxer, strong, powerful, not that tall, but a handful for any defender of any era.

Albion had a very good side then, not only Cyrille and Laurie Cunningham, who was like quicksilver, but Bomber Brown, Ally Roberston, Bryan Robson, they could play and mix it. We went on to win the league and I think Albion finished 3rd.

He was a respected opponent for anyone who ever faced him. Sadly he played in much less enlightened times and was subject to all sorts of shit. Some of it wasn't meant as overt racism, it was a product of the times, people didn't see black players much then and Britain wasn't as multi-cultural as it is now, but Cyrille Regis was respected as a player by all clubs and fans that he came up against.

The fact that I and so many of you are sad to hear of his passing shows that respect, he had no link to our club in his playing days, but he is known and remembered as proper professional and a proper player and as a man who opened the door to acceptance of black players as a force to be reckoned with.

Regis, Batson and Laurie were still seen as something of a novelty back then, I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying that's how it was. But anyone who played against him and saw him play will remember him.

A man and a player of a 'diiferent' cultural landscape who was accepted and respected by all. A proper footballing legend of my lifetime.

great post.

Just been talking to my old man, who met Cyrille a few times.

My Cousin Russ was a good Golfer back in the day and was good friends with Terry and Kenny Hibbitt, both decent footballers in the midlands area.

Russ was a British Gas employee by trade, but got to know Kenny especially through Golf, you know these 'invitation' days where Clubs, both football and golf mix and Russ used to get tickets for Liverpool away games at whichever clubs Terry and Kenny were playing for in the 70's and 80's and do some hobnobbing in the players lounge after.

Kenny played for Wolves and Coventry in his pomp, so Russ used to invite my Dad, who was also a decent golfer, albeit a Handicapper on these jaunts and to the matches. Russ used to come down and do all Kenny's household stuff whenever he moved house.

Dad met Cyrille a few times and played Golf with him and said he was a true gent, a really nice man. No stardom shit about him.

The old man used to bring me programmes back from the matches when I was a kid with autopgraphs from Kenny and a few others on them.

Can't post the link but that West Brom side was fantastic to watch especially when they spanked Utd 5-3 at Old Trafford, the fifth goal scored by Regis was absolutely brilliant.

Gerald Sinstadt screeching "OHHH...WHAT A GOALLL" Never forgotten seeing that goal (78/79?) jumping up and celebrating it like a Liverpool goal, the quality of the strike and that the Mancs had five stuffed past them.

Just been talking to my old man, who met Cyrille a few times.

My Cousin Russ was a good Golfer back in the day and was good friends with Terry and Kenny Hibbitt, both decent footballers in the midlands area.

Russ was a British Gas employee by trade, but got to know Kenny especially through Golf, you know these 'invitation' days where Clubs, both football and golf mix and Russ used to get tickets for Liverpool away games at whichever clubs Terry and Kenny were playing for in the 70's and 80's and do some hobnobbing in the players lounge after.

Kenny played for Wolves and Coventry in his pomp, so Russ used to invite my Dad, who was also a decent golfer, albeit a Handicapper on these jaunts and to the matches. Russ used to come down and do all Kenny's household stuff whenever he moved house.

Dad met Cyrille a few times and played Golf with him and said he was a true gent, a really nice man. No stardom shit about him.

The old man used to bring me programmes back from the matches when I was a kid with autopgraphs from Kenny and a few others on them.

Ah Kenny Hibbitt that is a name from the past. Same as Derek Duggan. I remember Wolves spanking Arsenal 5-0 with Bob Wilson in goal.

Football grounds in the late 70's and 80's resounded to "Nice one Cyrille, nice one son, Nice one Cyrille, let's have another one" more than a few times.

I remember seeing him at Anfield for the first time when I was a nipper playing for the Albion. I think it was 79/80 season when Atkinson had them challenging and West Brom and Forest were our title rivals.

They came to Anfield, in with a shout of the league and we beat them 2-1, it was a hard fought game and our lads knew they'd had a battle that day.

He was built like a boxer, strong, powerful, not that tall, but a handful for any defender of any era.

Albion had a very good side then, not only Cyrille and Laurie Cunningham, who was like quicksilver, but Bomber Brown, Ally Roberston, Bryan Robson, they could play and mix it. We went on to win the league and I think Albion finished 3rd.

He was a respected opponent for anyone who ever faced him. Sadly he played in much less enlightened times and was subject to all sorts of shit. Some of it wasn't meant as overt racism, it was a product of the times, people didn't see black players much then and Britain wasn't as multi-cultural as it is now, but Cyrille Regis was respected as a player by all clubs and fans that he came up against.

The fact that I and so many of you are sad to hear of his passing shows that respect, he had no link to our club in his playing days, but he is known and remembered as proper professional and a proper player and as a man who opened the door to acceptance of black players as a force to be reckoned with.

Regis, Batson and Laurie were still seen as something of a novelty back then, I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying that's how it was. But anyone who played against him and saw him play will remember him.

A man and a player of a 'diiferent' cultural landscape who was accepted and respected by all. A proper footballing legend of my lifetime.

Great stuff, Winston.

RIP, Cyrille.

Just seen Brian Deane do a piece on Big Cyrille on the news as he was obviously distressed at his passing, he said what Cyrille carried was the weight of all black players on his shoulders and the racism he faced was mountainous compared to today's lot, always admired Regis for his power and aggression. Nice one Cyrille.