You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

22nd Jan PL, The Swans better Duck, the Liver Birds are in town. Swansea v Liverpool

Guest Pistonbroke

It was not a new low, Packed defence on a difficult slow pitch was always going to prove a lot more difficult than people expected . We had the best chances and missed,

It’s all about context. The result wasn’t the low, the performance was. It’s hit us for six, come out of nowhere. Why go into Swansea with such low tempo and no urgency?

Rather than get angry with me how about you get angry at what you saw on the pitch? They were barely arsed. Barely conscious. Jordan Ayew looked more threatening than any of our players. And we just had 8 days rest.

I know it must be a fucking faff to be driven to Swansea on a Monday night in January to play football, but that was a new low.

I am pissed off at what I’ve just seen, not sure whether ‘angry’ is the right word, but I’m not gonna throw my toys out and say everyone is shit/not good enough, because they have all proven they are good players. We had a bad night. No kneejerk from me. But I am angry at elements of our fan base when it doesn’t go our way. It happens, it’s how these people handle it. Some of the shit posted is embarrassing. And most of it comes from you.

I don't think Coutinho's influence on our attack can be overstated. He was an incredible player for us, and often turned these type of games into draws or wins.

However, I know that you have it in for Firmino and have a massive hard-on for Sturridge, so I'm not here to sway your view.

That's just how I see things

I’m not sure how relevant the second paragraph is to my post. All three forwards were terrible tonight, I didn’t think Firmino was the worst of them, I thought Mane was.

Agreed on Coutinho. However it’s unfair to Lallana and Ox to expect them to carry the burden of replacing his role and influence in the team. Everyone has to step up. Tonight the forwards failed to. All three of them.

• Upvote 1

Having to rely on Lallana non scorer when he's been pretty much bang average since we signed him baring a short spell before his injury. Yeah we're fucked.

I like Adam Lallana but let's face it, he's not in the same class as Coutinho.  He's feeling his way back from a long lay-off and could also break down again at any moment.  Another reason why it was particularly stupid to sell Coutinho at this stage of the season.  

Made the trip over for the game last week. Nothing could describe the feeling of being on the Kop when that 4th goal went in.

Then a week later we go to Swansea and shit our pants, United flatmate chuckling away in the background, last week's result negated and now need to buy a new laptop after that miss at the end.

Spoke to about 5 people who all called it. Beat the leaders, lose meekly to the bottom team. What a perfectly predictable, shitty night.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Laptop abuse is a growing and disturbing social ill.

I've posted before that I found the suggestion of Mahrez as a replacement for Coutinho laughable when I first read it, but I would love to have him here now. Anyone with that bit of "x factor" and able to produce something unexpected would be warmly welcomed by me. If I could use one word to sum up our attacking play tonight it would be "unimaginative".

One surprising aspect about Mahrez is the number of headers he wins! Pretty sure that’s right.

As bad as our forwards were I think our defence was far too deep, and our midfielders just couldn’t grasp the concept of stopping Ayew. They kept on breaking at us.

I

He’s got a point though. It’s one thing being critical, but some of the tits, and it’s the usual suspects, FrenchEyeGlass, Funnneee amongst others, aren’t just critical of the performance, they go well OTT, everyone is shit, not good enough, Klopp etc etc. they seem to get off on it. We lost a game, we were shit, it’s the 1st game we’ve lost for ages, it’s like they’ve just been waiting so they can come out with all their negative shit. And yes, I would question their credentials of being a ‘fan’ too. Especially when one says he’s glad we lost!!!

Hahaha what a load of fucking bollocks.

And don’t group me in with Funneee, because anybody with any semblance of a brain would see we see things completely differently.

One surprising aspect about Mahrez is the number of headers he wins! Pretty sure that’s right.

As bad as our forwards were I think our defence was far too deep, and our midfielders just couldn’t grasp the concept of stopping Ayew. They kept on breaking at us.

Anyone who can shoot from range, beat a man and link up well with the front three would do.  Those are the boxes that need ticking. 

They don't have to be world class like Coutinho was, just someone with those qualities.  Otherwise the attacks will fizzle out too often and there is no threat from range, either at set-pieces or in open play.

I'm possibly overreacting here on the basis of one defeat, but I was concerned from the other three games I mentioned and tonight did little to defuse my worries.  

Anyone who can shoot from range, beat a man and link up well with the front three would do. Those are the boxes that need ticking.

They don't have to be world class like Coutinho was, just someone with those qualities. Otherwise the attacks will fizzle out too often and there is no threat from range, either at set-pieces or in open play.

I'm possibly overreacting here on the basis of one defeat, but I was concerned from the other three games I mentioned and tonight did little to diffuse my worries.

I’m genuinely not convinced Mahrez would have made a jot of difference tonight.

There was no space to exploit. We needed quality into the box and a striker with the movement to get between their back 3 and convert a cross.

We had neither the service nor the striker.

Extremely disappointing performance but lets not go overboard.

A couple of comments about us 'shitting the bed ' every time our rivals drop points , but that point of view is untrue this season as since the Spurs debacle we are +9 points on Spurs , +8 on Arsenal , +1 on Man Utd. & level with Chelsea.

On an annoying point it is amazing how many bog-standard clogger defenders score well taken goals against us and never score anything similar again. People are still apportioning blame for the Palace 3-3 game but if he played until he was 73 Damien Delaney would never score a 30 yard left foot howitzer like the one that turned the tide.

A few observations

- We have some wonderful attacking talent but still need a clinical striker who can put away the first chance in a tight game. Our front 3 generally need 2-3 chances to warm up. 

- Coutinho will be missed much more in these games than vs. top 6. You break these defences down with a defence splitting pass, quality shot from outside the box or mazing run from midfield. None of our remaning midfield are capable of this with any consistency (if at all). 

- Klopp's in-game management can be too flat footed at times. Why not shift Salah out wide instead of umpteen failed attempts to thread their central defensive needle? Lallana on too late when midfield creativity badly needed. Ings is not good enough but if you're going to play him, give him meaningful game time to contribute - the 15 minute cameos are pointless. 

- We don't appear to have a plan B when sides sit back, hoof out of defence and don't conform to Klopp's idea of playing football. Unfortunately, this applies to approx 14 teams in the league. 

• Upvote 1

I thought we looked rusty tonight. Maybe the 8 day lay off might help recharge the players and prove a good thing, but tonight it seemed like it took some wind out of our sails and lost us some momentum.

I thought Robo had his poorest game attack wise, constantly shunning fantastic crossing opportunities in favour of ball possession...even when we had 4 attackers across the box.

TAA is our best crosser and he should have played instead of the defensively more stout Gomez.

Shit happens from time to time. Let it go, saddle up and go again.

Few suggestions that might help against Bus parkers, Play Mane and Salah on their natural side á la Man City to stretch teams and pull defenders out of place, play Firmino off an out and out centre forward. No Doubting his quality, and Firmino against the better sides is instrumental and our most important player but we need someone in there who plays between the posts and will get first to crosses and is good in the air. Aubameyang would be absolutely perfect against the shit cunts but we'd never do something as ambitious. 

Few suggestions that might help against Bus parkers, Play Mane and Salah on their natural side á la Man City to stretch teams and pull defenders out of place, play Firmino off an out and out centre forward. No Doubting his quality, and Firmino against the better sides is instrumental and our most important player but we need someone in there who plays between the posts and will get first to crosses and is good in the air. Aubameyang would be absolutely perfect against the shit cunts but we'd never do something as ambitious.

Absolutely nothing wrong in mixing it up.

I can't wait for Jurgen to giggle and tell us how 'not cool' this result is.

And then proceed to tell us how he won't have any mention of Coutinho.

You're a complete wanker

You are the typical throw your toys out the pram cunt who could not wait for us to lose a game so you could slate Klopp.

It must have been a miserable 3 months for you

We were shit today, not as bad as some might think, we missed 3 or 4 really easy chances. They got a bit of luck and scored a scruffy goal. I know it's happened to us many times before but we haven't lost a game since October. Slating Klopp or the players today is just stupid. All unbeaten runs come to an end. Just ask Man city.

Gutted we threw away 3 points but this happens in football sometimes.