You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Saint & Greavsie

Lee909

I don’t think that was apparent at the time. It was only a few months after we’d won the league with one of our greatest ever sides (87/88). The consensus was that we weren’t as free flowing as the previous season but were coming on strong and would win the title.

We were 4th, 8 points behind Arsenal but with 2 games in hand yet we were 7/4 favourites!

True. Our barnstorming finish post-Hillsborough was vintage Liverpool.

The dip after that breathtaking 87/88 season was quite sharp though, in retrospect.

(Even then, the first 10 or so games of 1990/91, we looked invincible.)

Was hard to see the Saharan drought coming, to be honest. 

I didn't need this thread!

• Upvote 2

Sad that both of them have bad health problems these days.

Greavsie did a really good episode when he went back to Milan and met some of his old team mates and why he couldnt settle there. He was still good mates with Gianni Rivera who was Milan's star striker at the time.

Gianni Rivera and Sandro Mazzola.

Cross-town rivals from my first football annual in 1973.

I used to love Saint and Greavsie. Bit of banter, bit of footy, what’s not to like?

OK, listening to Saint call Houllier the Frenchman grated a bit, bit I put that down to his generation and the fact that he sided with Roy Evans and perhaps was privy to a bit more behind the scenes.

Anyhow, Liverpool legend.

Also because Noel Cantwell asked him to be his assistant at Coventry and when he was sacked the chairman asked him to take over, Saint fucked them off

I think he was big on loyalty and felt Houllier was out for himself.

In fairness I don't think he was entirely wrong either.

Also because Noel Cantwell asked him to be his assistant at Coventry and when he was sacked the chairman asked him to take over, Saint fucked them off

I think he was big on loyalty and felt Houllier was out for himself.

In fairness I don't think he was entirely wrong either.

Our trophy haul under Houllier suggested his narcissism was pretty good for all concerned. How I'd love those trophies again.

Our trophy haul under Houllier suggested his narcissism was pretty good for all concerned. How I'd love those trophies again.

I agree, I'm making no judgments.

It is interesting to note however that when we stopped being successful he had literally nothing to fall back on. When he was sacked no one was surprised and no one mourned his leaving.

As opposed to Rafa, Kenny & Rodgers (somewhat.)

Personally I hated the football under Houllier. The Chelsea 1-0 when Smicer scored in the last minute was Pulisesque.

I agree, I'm making no judgments.

It is interesting to note however that when we stopped being successful he had literally nothing to fall back on. When he was sacked no one was surprised and no one mourned his leaving.

As opposed to Rafa, Kenny & Rodgers (somewhat.)

Personally I hated the football under Houllier. The Chelsea 1-0 when Smicer scored in the last minute was Pulisesque.

A lot of it was dire yet we ended up being involved in some great matches under him.