You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

On 04/12/2020 at 13:54, Vincent Vega said:

I’d 100% chuck it in the bin, but if they’re going to persist with it, then I’d change the rules.

• Offside - no drawing of lines, if you can tell it’s offside immediately then chalk the goal off, if it’s unclear benefit of the doubt goes to the attacking team.
  • No slow motion replays to be used except for red cards.
  • They have 60 seconds to make a decision.
  • The VAR officials should not be part of the current referees contingent. Allow retired refs or even better retired refs from top European leagues to be the VAR officials, and make them two separate entities answerable to two separate bosses. That avoids the concept of backing up your mate.

I posted this over a year ago and all my points still stand.

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

That block is only a foul if cavani is attempting to go directly to the ball, he was never getting to the ball. If he's just trying to get back into a better defensive position, then that's not a foul. This came after VAR looking at an offside that wasn't because the ball wasn't touched and a handball that wasn't because it hit his thigh. They reran the tapes so much, they just wanted to find a reason to have stopped the game. 

All of that may be true and I'm not getting into an argument about VAR. I have wanted it gone before it arrived. My point was a simple one, a lad deliberately standing in an offside position to block a defender or keeper deserves to be punished if he interferes with a defender or keeper. It's literally what he's there for. Don't do it and you won't have to cry about it after.

31 minutes ago, No2 said:

All of that may be true and I'm not getting into an argument about VAR. I have wanted it gone before it arrived. My point was a simple one, a lad deliberately standing in an offside position to block a defender or keeper deserves to be punished if he interferes with a defender or keeper. It's literally what he's there for. Don't do it and you won't have to cry about it after.

It's not against the laws of the game though. It's only a foul to block if you are stopping someone reach the ball. If they can't reach the ball, you are allowed to stand your ground. 

On 04/12/2020 at 13:54, Vincent Vega said:

I’d 100% chuck it in the bin, but if they’re going to persist with it, then I’d change the rules.

• Offside - no drawing of lines, if you can tell it’s offside immediately then chalk the goal off, if it’s unclear benefit of the doubt goes to the attacking team.
  • No slow motion replays to be used except for red cards.
  • They have 60 seconds to make a decision.
  • The VAR officials should not be part of the current referees contingent. Allow retired refs or even better retired refs from top European leagues to be the VAR officials, and make them two separate entities answerable to two separate bosses. That avoids the concept of backing up your mate.

1) I don’t think offside can be done without doing some sort of line drawing as where the camera angles are in the stands can make it deceptive. I do think the tolerance should be increased more. However, whatever happens, there will always be super tight ones and offside (or the line has to be drawn…) somewhere. 

2) I don’t think they should use slow motion at all. 

3) I agree on a time limit, although I’d start at 60 secs and look to reduce it further.

4) Something needs to be done about the bumbling idiots in charge full stop. They got a few decisions right early in the season, Riley was all over SSN sucking his own pecker, standards reverted back to normal and the little drip is nowhere to be seen. 

Whilst the technology in some aspects is not quite up to the job, the bigger problem remains the users and those who set the protocols. Take West Ham’s goal on Sunday. The tech shows Bowen to be clearly offside and, in any sane world, involved in the action. Yet the officials gave the goal. And as yet have not offered any explanation as to why it was legit despite the fact that there’s total consensus that it was offside. Ineptitude compounded by lack of accountability.

Compare the penalty given fir a challenge on Anthony Gordon(vs Brighton?) with the not dissimilar challenge on Jota at Spurs. Gordon penalty given after Var review.  Yet the Jota one, ten times more clear cut, wasn’t given. The tech provided all the info needed yet different conclusions were reached despite one situation being far more clear cut. It’s almost inevitable that you start to look at the personalities involved and start to draw your own conclusions as to their integrity. 

3 hours ago, DaveT said:

Whilst the technology in some aspects is not quite up to the job, the bigger problem remains the users and those who set the protocols. Take West Ham’s goal on Sunday. The tech shows Bowen to be clearly offside and, in any sane world, involved in the action. Yet the officials gave the goal. And as yet have not offered any explanation as to why it was legit despite the fact that there’s total consensus that it was offside. Ineptitude compounded by lack of accountability.

Compare the penalty given fir a challenge on Anthony Gordon(vs Brighton?) with the not dissimilar challenge on Jota at Spurs. Gordon penalty given after Var review.  Yet the Jota one, ten times more clear cut, wasn’t given. The tech provided all the info needed yet different conclusions were reached despite one situation being far more clear cut. It’s almost inevitable that you start to look at the personalities involved and start to draw your own conclusions as to their integrity. 

I don't understand how anyone in the penalty are isn't interfering. 

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I thought our goal tonight was a good illustration of the nonsense of those hairline offsides. The point where ITV froze the action, Jota looked offside; VAR stopped the action probably less than a tenth of a second earlier, so he was onside.

I don’t think that was the case was it? Wasn’t it just from a different angle it?

On 17/03/2022 at 22:01, Barrington Womble said:

So that red card tonight was Atwell on VAR. The very same referee who thought that head high challenge from the Brighton keeper didn't need the ref to see it again on the screen. What a fucking joke this whole set up is. 

On 17/03/2022 at 22:01, Barrington Womble said:

So that red card tonight was Atwell on VAR. The very same referee who thought that head high challenge from the Brighton keeper didn't need the ref to see it again on the screen. What a fucking joke this whole set up is. 

Atwell was ref at Palace today. Gomes kicked Gallagher in the head, his foot fully five feet high. Foul, no booking. Unbelievable. But that’s Atwell. Proper clown.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I don’t think that was the case was it? Wasn’t it just from a different angle it?

Yes. The ITV angle was slightly downwind of the Forest goal and from slightly behind the playrrs, but the VAR camera angle was from slightly ahead of the play so that they could draw the lines across the pitch.

28 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

I think it should be ex pros up there who understand the game. And I don't mean players like souness or co but players who have only just retired- keep them in the game. 

Absolutely no chance of any bias then.

• Upvote 1

When are we gonna accept VAR adds nothing to the game? I hate the fact we can put the ball into the net and have to wait a minute or so before we can celebrate. Everyone hates the delay in flagging for offside but Linos know they will be crucified for an incorrect flag so why chance it?

What is the benefit? The odd marginal decision put right when at least as many should be corrected but aren't.

Officials make mistakes. So do players, managers et al; get over it, move on. Let's go back to 3 on field officials and me celebrating when Jota puts the ball into the net.

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

When are we gonna accept VAR adds nothing to the game? I hate the fact we can put the ball into the net and have to wait a minute or so before we can celebrate. Everyone hates the delay in flagging for offside but Linos know they will be crucified for an incorrect flag so why chance it?

What is the benefit? The odd marginal decision put right when at least as many should be corrected but aren't.

Officials make mistakes. So do players, managers et al; get over it, move on. Let's go back to 3 on field officials and me celebrating when Jota puts the ball into the net.

Amen.

44 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Some posts are so right they deserve all the rep.

I’m off trawling for old posts of yours to rep to give this post the kudos it deserves.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barnesey said:

This makes perfect sense to the fans. Not so much to the tv executives trying to glamourise hundreds of dead rubber football matches after paying well over the odds to screen them.

Jota running through on goal the other day, defender kicks Jota's foot into the ball, Jota falls over.

In realtime it looks like a decent challenge.

From the VAR point of view, it's a blatant pelanty.

But no call.

Then their lad runs through and dives by instigating contact with Alisson. Countless replays before finally deciding no penalty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4452736/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club-in-2021-22%3fplatform=amp

We have 8 decisions made by VAR this season, none of them are what I'd describe as massive injustices had they not being changed. Pogba is the stand out one but the score made that insignificant.  As Barnsie said is it really worth it? The biggest errors aren't even on this (the 2 at Spurs) so we still have the shite just with none of the good stuff.

• Upvote 2

On 21/03/2022 at 10:24, Barnesey said:

Some short memories around here. Before VAR, completely obvious errors were a regular feature of the game. 

Don't throw the baby out with the bath-water.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Some short memories around here. Before VAR, completely obvious errors were a regular feature of the game. 

Don't throw the baby out with the bath-water.

Completely obvious errors are still very much part of the game only now, we can't enjoy goals properly.

VAR didn't belong in Football three years ago, it doesn't belong now & it won't belong any time in the future either. It is an interloper from other sports which people don't care as much about.

Drown the baby & fuck the bathwater off into the sun.

• Upvote 3