You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I had a thought about the crappy offside lines. You know how they can show replays with those 360 degree cameras now? They can pause the replay and then you see the camera switch around to the other side of the pitch and zoom in or whatever. Couldn’t that be used to check a marginal offside? If you’re looking at a replay right in line with the players there’s no need to be drawing wonky lines whatsoever. The ‘line’ need only be 1cm thick, looking across the pitch as if the camera is the linesman. 

Maybe the tech is not quite there yet. 

giphy (3).gif

Ronaldo had a 95th minute winner disallowed for Juventus today.

Got Roma v Fiorentina on. Abraham though with the keeper to beat but going miles away from goal and takes a touch like a baby elephant & the keeper wipes him out…definite foul but never a red card. Can’t believe VAR didn’t refer it to be re-looked at. 

Mkhairyman had a goal disallowed for offside. VAR spent an age looking at it and then gave it. Right decision. 

• 4 weeks later...

So now we've had a few weeks of the season, with var more in the background and offside changed, it's certainly less intrusive than it was. But it's still fucking shit isn't it? Some bad pen decisions at the weekend, none more so than that city one. It was probably a harsh red card, but how is that not a pen and how do they perceive it's a clear and obvious mistake? It's shit like this that really does make you think it's rigged. I'll be interested to see how that cunt Dermot Gallagher tried to justify it on sky. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So now we've had a few weeks of the season, with var more in the background and offside changed, it's certainly less intrusive than it was. But it's still fucking shit isn't it? Some bad pen decisions at the weekend, none more so than that city one. It was probably a harsh red card, but how is that not a pen and how do they perceive it's a clear and obvious mistake? It's shit like this that really does make you think it's rigged. I'll be interested to see how that cunt Dermot Gallagher tried to justify it on sky. 

It's like having a two headed relative in the background of a family picture. 

Having it in the background is not good enough, it needs fucked off out of the picture altogether.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I thought the City pen was arguable either way. I'd even lean towards it not being a penalty. As for reversing the decision, it all depends on what Jon Moss thinks he's seen in real time. If the replay is at odds to that, then changing the decision is fine.

I like that it's now the referee making the call, and viewing the replays. You won't get rid of the human error aspect, or subjective nature of the calls, but this is infinitely better than the shitshow we were served up previously.

23 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Honestly, I thought the City pen was arguable either way. I'd even lean towards it not being a penalty. As for reversing the decision, it all depends on what Jon Moss thinks he's seen in real time. If the replay is at odds to that, then changing the decision is fine.

I like that it's now the referee making the call, and viewing the replays. You won't get rid of the human error aspect, or subjective nature of the calls, but this is infinitely better than the shitshow we were served up previously.

I can't see how the walker one is anything but a pen. But even if you somehow decide it's not, how is it clear and obvious? The PGMOL are claiming moss gave a pen because walker pushed him in the back. So he was giving things that didn't happen. Or he just wanted to dig himself out of giving the own and it wasn't clear and obvious he got it wrong 

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't see how the walker one is anything but a pen. But even if you somehow decide it's not, how is it clear and obvious? The PGMOL are claiming moss gave a pen because walker pushed him in the back. So he was giving things that didn't happen. Or he just wanted to dig himself out of giving the own and it wasn't clear and obvious he got it wrong 

Moss was pressurised to reverse his call , no doubt in my mind. No way on earth his initial pen call was wrong although the red card was 

10 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Moss was pressurised to reverse his call , no doubt in my mind. No way on earth his initial pen call was wrong although the red card was 

Yeah the red card was nonsense - well unless he thought the challenge was dangerous, but then that contradicts the narrative he gave the pen for a push in the back.  But you don't need VAR to not give the red card, you just need to know the laws of the game. 

The Ronaldo decisions where worse than Walkers. They seem to have come to the conclusion that the attackers were "looking for it", thats kind of the point of the sport, take advantage of opponents errors. Going over someone's outstretched leg is and always was a penalty.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah the red card was nonsense - well unless he thought the challenge was dangerous, but then that contradicts the narrative he gave the pen for a push in the back.  But you don't need VAR to not give the red card, you just need to know the laws of the game. 

The red card would have been for denying a goal scoring opportunity without attempting to play the ball. A push fits that narrative. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

but he was attempting to get the ball, he wrapped his leg around him trying to get to it. 

That's what happened but if in Moss's fat head he was blowing for a push then red was the only option. If he had of kept up he would have blown for the pen and booked Walker, the review would have been over in 10 seconds, the fact he fucked up the colour of the card gave him no option but to look into it a lot closer.

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

That's what happened but if in Moss's fat head he was blowing for a push then red was the only option. If he had of kept up he would have blown for the pen and booked Walker, the review would have been over in 10 seconds, the fact he fucked up the colour of the card gave him no option but to look into it a lot closer.

It's still stretching it though isn't it? I agree moss is fucking useless anyway and isn't anywhere near fit enough to ref at this level, but that pen is a fucking pen no matter how many times you look at it. And if you've given something that literally hasn't happened, so you can't possibly have seen it, well he should be sacked. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's still stretching it though isn't it? I agree moss is fucking useless anyway and isn't anywhere near fit enough to ref at this level, but that pen is a fucking pen no matter how many times you look at it. And if you've given something that literally hasn't happened, so you can't possibly have seen it, well he should be sacked. 

His fitness is the key, he should be 10 yards closer. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think there's a danger we misread ineptness as conspiratorial chicanery.

Moss thought he saw something (I hadn't heard about the push, but that'd fit), he communicates that to the VAR, who says there's no sign of it. At that point Moss has to view the replay himself, and under the new "let the game flow" leeway that challenges are being given, he decides it's not a pen.

The clear and obvious aspect was always about VARs overruling refs. 

I’ve not seen the city one other thank a still image, so don’t know, but just going on our matches it’s been positive so far compared to last year. Is it only two interventions so far? Disallowing Mo’s goal against someone (Burnley?) and giving the pen against Chelsea?

I think it speaks volumes that I didn’t pause for a beat when each of 3 goals were scored this week. My first game in person in a year and a half, and I’ve spent much of the last 2 years not properly allowing myself to celebrate, and this time, each time, I just cheered and jumped about without pause, and without even letting doubt enter my head.

VAR is still rubbish from the sound of it, but I’m taking the positives that, for now at least, it’s not ruining the game.

Right before Fabinho's goal against Leeds, Liverpool could have had a penalty when Mané was tackled in the act of shooting. I think last season it would have been a penalty as if they looked at it 20+ times in slo-mo with the intention of finding something they would have found something. Instead, they looked at it once, there was nothing obvious, move on. And even at the time I thought - fair enough. The idea that we were all looking for perfection that was peddled by Dermot Gallagher was always bollocks, and it just took a year of them making themselves look completely foolish for them to accept that. Hopefully it persists.

• Upvote 2