You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

• 2 weeks later...

After the first weekend of games I’ve been surprised how we’ll the changes have worked.

Much less interference with VAR - seem to be giving the benefit of doubt to the attacker.

and my personal favourite not blowing for free kicks as quickly and letting the games flow more. 

20 minutes ago, Mark M said:

After the first weekend of games I’ve been surprised how we’ll the changes have worked.

Much less interference with VAR - seem to be giving the benefit of doubt to the attacker.

and my personal favourite not blowing for free kicks as quickly and letting the games flow more. 

And the first fucking beneficiaries was the mancs and fernandes' 3rd goal yesterday which would have been offside last season with the same size lines. Who'd have thought it?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

And the first fucking beneficiaries was the mancs and fernandes' 3rd goal yesterday which would have been offside last season with the same size lines. Who'd have thought it?

Didn’t really affect the game - Leeds where fucking shite and wide open. 

It was the correct decision as well, so pointless calling it out.

As long as that sets the standard now for the new interpretation it is all good and will see the end of goals being chalked off with wobbly lines to fucking armpits etc to find the most ridiculously marginal 'offsides'

• Upvote 2

Certainly a positive that there wasn’t as much fucking about after goals and trying to find reasons to rule them out or to find penalties that nobody appealed for, but still not flawless on the first weekend of the season... that penalty decision for West Ham yesterday at 2-2 was absolutely shocking and clearly wrong when viewed on replay. Overturn it. It’s your job. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Certainly a positive that there wasn’t as much fucking about after goals and trying to find reasons to rule them out or to find penalties that nobody appealed for, but still not flawless on the first weekend of the season... that penalty decision for West Ham yesterday at 2-2 was absolutely shocking and clearly wrong when viewed on replay. Overturn it. It’s your job. 

Yeah it was ridiculous. You just know the silly cunts will go too far the other way and won't correct wrong decisions now. 

If they are allowing a bit more physical contact then in theory that should help make our pressing more effective and allow us to nick more possession in promising positions. But something  tells me it won't work out that way. Did someone on here say the foul count at Norwich was 14-4 against us? 

1 minute ago, aws said:

If they are allowing a bit more physical contact then in theory that should help make our pressing more effective and allow us to nick more possession in promising positions. But something  tells me it won't work out that way. Did someone on here say the foul count at Norwich was 14-4 against us? 

Without seeing stats, it was infuriating. Tsimikas got wiped out and Marriner waved it away. Couple of minutes later, someone breathed on Cantwell and he got a free kick.

12 minutes ago, aws said:

yes fouls were 4-14, tackles were 19-17. So it would seem pretty much if we tackle, we foul. 

11 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

I’ve been a fan of our high line generally speaking, but this change is the biggest reason to rethink it. 

i am not too stressed about this. they claimed the rule change would have impacted about 20 goals last season. well about 5 of them were in the plus column for us. i think it will do us more good than harm. 

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Here we go again! Phoney lines and a dodgy toenail mean its offside again. Why are we even having officials on the pitch as they dont make the final decisions?

Looked offside on freeze frame before the line came up to me. Close but off.

35 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Looked offside on freeze frame before the line came up to me. Close but off.

Yeah,I can accept that if it was made on the pitch instantly and not in a shed 200 miles away. Same for the Burnley one cleared off the line by TAA,the whole move was offside and should have been flagged 10 seconds before too. Please fuck it off.

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,I can accept that if it was made on the pitch instantly and not in a shed 200 miles away. Same for the Burnley one cleared off the line by TAA,the whole move was offside and should have been flagged 10 seconds before too. Please fuck it off.

Don’t disagree. In fact, I’ll join your cause. Fuck it off.

(was still right this time!)

Mo looked offside to me so I have no problem with it. If it looks offside to the naked eye and it’s given then that’s fine. What you don’t want is when it looks onside to the naked eye but then the lines make it offside; that’s just no good for anyone.

• Upvote 1

The Newcastle player who was Schumacher'd by the Villa keeper wasn't awarded a penalty because he was judged to be offside after a VAR check. I know they've said they've changed their approach this season so that the linesmen can raise their flag if there is a goalscoring opportunity for a player with is clearly offside, but had that not been a potential goalscoring opportunity and he'd been offside, played the ball in and it was cleared/blocked behind by a defender, a corner would have been given, because the officials are supposed to let play go on and then do the VAR check following a break in play.