You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

On 02/06/2021 at 12:11, No2 said:

Mike Riley has spoken before about the double celebration and pointed to Spurs against City in the CL. The Chilwell goal in the FA Cup was a dagger for any hope of change.

Yeah I've read that too. His performance as head of PGMOL matches that of his normal display at old Trafford when he was a ref. 

Mike Riley has spoken before about the double celebration and pointed to Spurs against City in the CL. The Chilwell goal in the FA Cup was a dagger for any hope of change.

Sorry, what’s this?

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah I've read that too. His performance as head of PGMOL matches that of his normal display at old Trafford when he was a ref. 

Juventus were relegated for less. Sir Alex will be in his phone under frequently dialled.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott_M said:

He was quite clearly offside to be fair. 

That's not point though, he was using it to point to 2 moments of celebration. He failed to mention that the league he has control over can't have such moments. You can't go from winning to losing in one moment like you can in the CL.

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Juventus were relegated for less. Sir Alex will be in his phone under frequently dialled.

Years ago when Graham poll used to get a bit of air time, he was dead honest about that era. Keep Ferguson happy and you could have a decent career. Piss him off and you were fucked. It doesn't surprise me the mainstream media who benefit from the PL experience prefer the voice of Peter Walton or Dermot Gallagher than the ex-ref who wants to call the system out for what it is. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Years ago when Graham poll used to get a bit of air time, he was dead honest about that era. Keep Ferguson happy and you could have a decent career. Piss him off and you were fucked. It doesn't surprise me the mainstream media who benefit from the PL experience prefer the voice of Peter Walton or Dermot Gallagher than the ex-ref who wants to call the system out for what it is. 

My understanding of Juventus's relegation was they were handpicked referees for each game. Ferguson went above that, sure he had Reilly when he needed a result but it didn't matter, he had everyone of them onside.

21 minutes ago, No2 said:

My understanding of Juventus's relegation was they were handpicked referees for each game. Ferguson went above that, sure he had Reilly when he needed a result but it didn't matter, he had everyone of them onside.

Poll said that effectively. How he described it was refs at that level (in which he included himself), were career people. At that level you're not there for the love of the game. You're there because you want to go to a euros or a world cup and if you're really good get a final or a CL final etc. He said if you gave anything but the most obvious decision against man united, you knew Ferguson would call you out and if it happened more than a couple of times, you'd get taken off their games. If you didn't ref their games (at the time of course), you weren't reffing the biggest domestic matches, so were unlikely to get the biggest uefa/FIFA games because someone else from England would be in front of you. If you wanted to ref the biggest finals, you absolutely had to ref man united. If you didn't ref man united as Ferguson wanted, you'd be bombed. It's a failing of the system rather than Ferguson though imo. 

• Upvote 1

I know riley is a cunt but, the finer points of offside decisions upheld or rejected by VAR is now under the control of FIFA and Collina in particular.

I noticed in the cavani 'offside' in the Europa League Final, during the game UEFA's VAR did not show close scrutiny of the decision or lines across the pitch. All the viewers got via BT's feed was 2 or 3 replays. While they were making the decision viewers were treated to pictures of the players stood around waiting for the decision. As far I know, any big screens in the stadium showed the same feed as tv \ internet viewers got.

One could argue not having lines drawn and seeing how close to onside \ offside the decision was, was better or not.

If there are any changes to marginal offsides next season, it will be FIFA's directive that holds sway not riley's. Time will tell!

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I know riley is a cunt but, the finer points of offside decisions upheld or rejected by VAR is now under the control of FIFA and Collina in particular.

I noticed in the cavani 'offside' in the Europa League Final, during the game UEFA's VAR did not show close scrutiny of the decision or lines across the pitch. All the viewers got via BT's feed was 2 or 3 replays. While they were making the decision viewers were treated to pictures of the players stood around waiting for the decision. As far I know, any big screens in the stadium showed the same feed as tv \ internet viewers got.

One could argue not having lines drawn and seeing how close to onside \ offside the decision was, was better or not.

If there are any changes to marginal offsides next season, it will be FIFA's directive that holds sway not riley's. Time will tell!

Actually the Dutch have implemented their own version of the lines for offside that allows for a margin of error. So Riley and the PL could make changes if they chose to do so, they'd just sooner pass the buck to IFAB. 

The most simple and effective change to the whole system would be if the player in the build up to a goal is now visibly off by the naked eye then the goal should stand. They’ve backed themselves into the corner with this bollix that offside is a “matter of fact.” The technology i.e. the frame rate and triggering when the ball has been played is simply not good enough.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LFC 6 Times said:

The most simple and effective change to the whole system would be if the player in the build up to a goal is now visibly off by the naked eye then the goal should stand. They’ve backed themselves into the corner with this bollix that offside is a “matter of fact.” The technology i.e. the frame rate and triggering when the ball has been played is simply not good enough.

I dont even care about 'frame rate' I just want a situation judged by the officials on the pitch and not some shed near London.

12 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Offsides are only scrutinised when there is a goal. This is just plain wrong.

Absolutely. If the ball goes out for a corner immediately after, thereby giving an advantage to the attacking team, the original offside should be given. Wouldn't result in a break in play either, as the ball is already dead.

13 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Agreed, but I reckon we're stuck with it. So they can at least use it for more than just finding a reason to chalk off our goals.

I'm still hopeful the whole drawing lines thing will get binned. I think we're stuck with VAR, but a little like the whole handball thing, there seems to be plenty of people complaining loud enough that we might get a less intrusive version of it. 

• Upvote 1

The only reason were stuck with it is because the clubs, manager, players haven't gotten together and said fuck it off. None of them want it, they've all spoken out against it, but they haven't done anything about it.

If they stuck together and said get rid or we won't play, it would be gone in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

I see Howard Webb is chief referee in the US (now doubt with some daft title like Officiating Commissioner or something) and I'm sure I read they are doing the offside decisions for VAR without the lines, so if it's not offside to the naked eye, it's onside. 

I sort of like this idea but you'll still have some gobshite decisions being made.

I'm no fan of Webb at all, but he's more balls to try something different than that little virgin Mike Riley. 

I genuinely just think basing it on feet only & making the defenders lines wider would clear up c.75% of the VAR issues we have and it's incredibly simple to implement.