You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

I'm in favour of an appeals system. It seemed one of the obvious solutions to me fairly early on when the VAR shambles started unfolding. Let VAR just be in the background without actively interfering constantly. 

As pointed out by a couple of people here, such a "one appeal" system would greatly limit the number of times VAR intervenes in the game. It would limit the number of stoppages and let the game flow a bit better. And having only one appeal per game would make teams well aware that they just cant waste their appeal, unless they are absolutely sure an injustice has been done.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a fan of the appeal thing for a number of reasons.

One of the main ones being that I dont want to shift the focus on to team's and their management to referee games.

This season has shown that referees are absolutely shite and just back each other in most situations. It would need to be the most blatent and obvious error for any appeal to be successful. As such, you will get situations where referees make blunders but managers are reluctant to use the appeal as they know it won't meet this high bar. Then, after the match, when all these shit decisions have been made by the referees but their were no appeals, instead of analysing the poor standard of referees, it will be disregarded with people saying that if teams were so unhappy they should have appealed. They will say how difficult the refs job is, evidenced by the fact that teams and managers clearly aren't appealing as they haven't seen the errors and it will, for me, just lead to a worsening of the standards of referees. 

• Upvote 1

An appeals system?

This is Football, not girls under 12s fucking hockey.

Football was great the way it was, bin all these stupid ideas & let's get back to the simple game we all used to love. Yes, there was the odd bad decision but you had a moan about over a pint & got on with it without a fucking circus.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2021 at 18:10, Mook said:

An appeals system?

This is Football, not girls under 12s fucking hockey.

Football was great the way it was, bin all these stupid ideas & let's get back to the simple game we all used to love. Yes, there was the odd bad decision but you had a moan about over a pint & got on with it without a fucking circus.

This

Goal Line technology has been pretty much flawless and I think a worthwhile addition. VAR should be binned off entirely, just woeful. 

• Upvote 2

On 15/04/2021 at 04:07, Jennings said:

Nah - the appeals thing is not for me. Turning VAR evidence into something to be used tactically is asking for trouble.

You potentially could do it, with managers getting something like 5 incorrect challenges per season, of which they can use a maximum of one per game.  That would solve most of the issues of managers using them to just try and overturn legit goals.

However you still have the absolute problem of who is then ruling on the challenge.  As we've seen this season, the  refs care far more about having their decisions questioned than they care about making the right decision, so they'll more than likely just back whatever the original decision they made was when challenged on it, until people stop challenging.

And VAR refs have been more than happy to cheat to create decisions they want, there's nothing to stop them continuing to do that.

The only real solution is to sack almost all the current referees and sack off VAR.

7 hours ago, scottthecanuck said:

This

Goal Line technology has been pretty much flawless and I think a worthwhile addition. VAR should be binned off entirely, just woeful. 

Bournemouth went down because of goal line tech. 

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

You potentially could do it, with managers getting something like 5 incorrect challenges per season, of which they can use a maximum of one per game.  That would solve most of the issues of managers using them to just try and overturn legit goals.

However you still have the absolute problem of who is then ruling on the challenge.  As we've seen this season, the  refs care far more about having their decisions questioned than they care about making the right decision, so they'll more than likely just back whatever the original decision they made was when challenged on it, until people stop challenging.

And VAR refs have been more than happy to cheat to create decisions they want, there's nothing to stop them continuing to do that.

The only real solution is to sack almost all the current referees and sack off VAR.

I always understood the objective of VAR was to try and eliminate the big howlers from referees. If the VAR needs to do things like slow motion replays and stuff like that, it's clearly not a howler. I'd be looking for VAR to overturn the decisions that aren't really up for debate, including offside. Otherwise we just go with the original decision. I think a combination of raising that bar and an appeals system would certainly reduce the VAR involvement to an absolute minimum and stop this idea of an appeal randomly searching for some minor infringement. Of course it would be easier to fuck it all off, but we know they won't do that. 

Another thing that is starting to piss me off is the only bit of credit VAR gets is goal line technology, except that's fuck all to do with the video assistant! That is a situation where we've been able to implement technology for the betterment of the game and eliminate the referee and we should learn a lesson for it. For offside where we've implemented technology and the technology is incapable of coming to a conclusion so we've had to couple it with idiots in stockley park, we've created one of the absolutely worst parts of the whole scheme. If technology can do it, great. If it can't, let's not pretend it can and just fail in an entirely different way than without video 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Preston Red said:

Along with binning VAR off, there needs to be a big reduction in referees from Manchester and surrounding areas.

It's like the OCG planting bent coppers in the system at an early age. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Really?

I don't remember this. What happened?

Sheffield United scored a goal at Villa but the GLT didn't register it (it was well over the line) because some numpty forgot to switch it on! Villa hung on for a point and eventually stayed up by just a point. They'd have gone down on goal difference instead of Bournemouth. Of course the assumption is that every result afterwards would have stayed the same.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I always understood the objective of VAR was to try and eliminate the big howlers from referees. If the VAR needs to do things like slow motion replays and stuff like that, it's clearly not a howler. I'd be looking for VAR to overturn the decisions that aren't really up for debate, including offside. Otherwise we just go with the original decision. I think a combination of raising that bar and an appeals system would certainly reduce the VAR involvement to an absolute minimum and stop this idea of an appeal randomly searching for some minor infringement. Of course it would be easier to fuck it all off, but we know they won't do that. 

Another thing that is starting to piss me off is the only bit of credit VAR gets is goal line technology, except that's fuck all to do with the video assistant! That is a situation where we've been able to implement technology for the betterment of the game and eliminate the referee and we should learn a lesson for it. For offside where we've implemented technology and the technology is incapable of coming to a conclusion so we've had to couple it with idiots in stockley park, we've created one of the absolutely worst parts of the whole scheme. If technology can do it, great. If it can't, let's not pretend it can and just fail in an entirely different way than without video 

I agree with all that.

You would still get an issue with what is seen as a “big howler” in one instance, not being seen as that in another. But it would get rid of all those ridiculous offsides and handball decisions we get at the moment.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Really?

I don't remember this. What happened?

Sorry it was Sheffield utd. 

The villa keeper caught the ball which was about a foot over the line and Oliver kept pointing to his wrist piece saying that the ball never crossed the line. 

6 hours ago, No2 said:

I compare every tackle to the one on Danny Welbeck. Man City are owed 4 penalties for Kouma's challenge in Sterling. 

Was it on here that I read that Danny Wellbeck's dad was in army bomb disposal?  First name was Stan I believe.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...