Quantcast
VAR Thoughts? - Page 62 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Lee909

VAR Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I disagree.  VAR can remain and only be used in the very rare circumstances it's useful.   Goal-line technology doesn't get in the way of goal celebrations and there's no inherent reason why VAR should (provided it's not operated by twats).


Sure I read something last week that they are looking for offsides to be automated & instantaneous decisions within a couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The WBA goal does have a slight whiff or mistaking the players. Obviously with them both being black, they will be keen to clear this up as soon as possible with some other explanation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John102 said:

The WBA goal does have a slight whiff or mistaking the players. Obviously with them both being black, they will be keen to clear this up as soon as possible with some other explanation. 


They’ve ridiculously said they couldn’t find an definitive angle so went with the on field decision. 
 

Funny they don’t choose to do that in other situations. 
 

Carragher & Neville should get Mike Riley on MNF and slaughter him. 
 

Either by just berating him or slitting his throat, I’m not precious either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I disagree.  VAR can remain and only be used in the very rare circumstances it's useful.   Goal-line technology doesn't get in the way of goal celebrations and there's no inherent reason why VAR should (provided it's not operated by twats).

How do you decide if it is one of these 'very rare circumstances' without stopping the game & having one or a number of people deciding on it?

 

What's the point in having it at all if we only use it once in a blue moon?

 

We could just revert to the way it was handled three years ago, you got the odd bad decision & supporters could celebrate their team scoring a goal properly. The simple, exciting & sometimes beautiful sport I fell in love with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So VAR couldn't overrule an offside decision that was clear and obviously wrong. Remind me, what was it introduced for ? 

 

I was in favour of VAR, but its interpretation is absolutely pathetic. They are hiding behind, the rules make us do this, when it is their incompetence that makes them do this. Obviously they couldn't use that as a reason, so just hide behind rules that they are in charge of making and interpreting. 

 

 

EDIT: Couldn't they just ask the assistant ref why and who he flagged for ? If he flagged for the scorer disallow and if not then allow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooohhh we can’t change the offside law during the season.

 

But we can change handball and players coming back from offside positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its mildly infuriating reading so many suggest amending how VAR is used. This is a football site and the game is being destroyed by it, its the equivalent of saying we won't pay £77 for a ticket but shaking on £75. Its poxy, everything about is shit, getting rid and bury Mike Riley under all the abandoned screens.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Stop using VAR for offsides. It isn't fit for purpose.

 

 

 

If the ref and lino get an obvious one wrong (like Sterling at the Etihad in December 2013) someone in Stockley Park can give the ref a shout "You want to have another look at that?" (and then we win the league!)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to like the bad decisions, they seemed more random.  Getting away with one added to the game.

 

Think sky/bt will push to have something done about var when all the stadiums are full of people relentlessly singing Fuck VAR next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they couldn't find an angle tonight but were happy to use one for us against Villa where it didn't appear to could see the ball. All good and nothing to see here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott_M said:


Sure I read something last week that they are looking for offsides to be automated & instantaneous decisions within a couple of years.

Bloody hell, it's bad enough waiting for a couple of minutes.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If the ref and lino get an obvious one wrong (like Sterling at the Etihad in December 2013) someone in Stockley Park can give the ref a shout "You want to have another look at that?" (and then we win the league!)

Great call. Let me have a think about this...

Let me mull it over and reply tomorrow, but I think I am saying...I would rather that be the case - and the joy of celebrating goals be returned - than what we have now.

 

May god have mercy on my footballing soul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about to appease those that must have a perfect game you allow each team 1 appeal?

 

Then when a great injustice is delivered you appeal it. The catch is its just 1 per season unless you're correct.

 

By my reckoning we have only been done out of 2 really bad decisions this season, Christensen not being sent off at Chelsea and Coady diving at Anfield. VAR has corrected just 2 really bad ones all season and in exchange we have the joy sucked out and 50 marginal ones go against us.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, No2 said:

How about to appease those that must have a perfect game you allow each team 1 appeal?

 

Then when a great injustice is delivered you appeal it. The catch is its just 1 per season unless you're correct.

 

By my reckoning we have only been done out of 2 really bad decisions this season, Christensen not being sent off at Chelsea and Coady diving at Anfield. VAR has corrected just 2 really bad ones all season and in exchange we have the joy sucked out and 50 marginal ones go against us.

I think that's a good shout although I'd go to one per game, if you win it you can get another which means 2 max per game.

Personally though I'm in the camp that thinks VAR isn't so much the problem as the implementation of it in the Premier League is. It's supposed to be clear and obvious and yet they've gone to being especially pedantic about it when they want to whilst not giving a fuck when they don't want to. That's been the main issue our own supporters and other supporters have. I also think it's absolutely ridiculous flagging offside for hands and elbows when you can't score with your hands or your elbows. If someone's head or even shoulder (Can you legally score with a shoulder? I know you can chest flick it with the inside portion) I suppose is offside that's fair enough, especially if it's clear but half an arm because that's the way a player runs is just silly.

Personally I think the refs hate it as much as is anyone that's why they're doing it this why, in the hopes that there's enough outrage that it gets binned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, No2 said:

How about to appease those that must have a perfect game you allow each team 1 appeal?

 

Then when a great injustice is delivered you appeal it. The catch is its just 1 per season unless you're correct.

 

If that ever came into being, they'd just make sure our one appeal fails, leaving us with no more appeals and them with carte blanche to do whatever the fuck they want to us. Much like what we are seeing at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Barnesey said:

I'm 100% behind this as long as Linos start making decisions again rather than keeping the flag down and waiting to be baled out by VAR.

Yeh but we end up with lots of wrong calls, cries of bias and back at square one. Fuck off all this line drawing and unless it’s a clear error that can be seen with the naked  eye let the on field call stand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, No2 said:

How about to appease those that must have a perfect game you allow each team 1 appeal?

The 4th officials haven't quite worked out the substitute number boards yet , so this may be fraught with danger.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I think that's a good shout although I'd go to one per game, if you win it you can get another which means 2 max per game.

Personally though I'm in the camp that thinks VAR isn't so much the problem as the implementation of it in the Premier League is. It's supposed to be clear and obvious and yet they've gone to being especially pedantic about it when they want to whilst not giving a fuck when they don't want to. That's been the main issue our own supporters and other supporters have. I also think it's absolutely ridiculous flagging offside for hands and elbows when you can't score with your hands or your elbows. If someone's head or even shoulder (Can you legally score with a shoulder? I know you can chest flick it with the inside portion) I suppose is offside that's fair enough, especially if it's clear but half an arm because that's the way a player runs is just silly.

Personally I think the refs hate it as much as is anyone that's why they're doing it this why, in the hopes that there's enough outrage that it gets binned.

The problem with the 1 call per game is it doesn't change anything. Most teams will use the moment they concede their first goal in Gheorghe hope a snot was offside. Villa would have used it on Saturday, Spurs would have used theirs on Sunday, literally no change to current shit show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, No2 said:

The problem with the 1 call per game is it doesn't change anything. Most teams will use the moment they concede their first goal in Gheorghe hope a snot was offside. Villa would have used it on Saturday, Spurs would have used theirs on Sunday, literally no change to current shit show.

It would reduce the involvement of VAR though. Like you, I'd like it to be properly fucked off. But with just 1 per game, they can't take every goal off the fans then. Just one per game. I'd happily be in favour of a smaller number too - half a dozen a season, no more than one per game h in fact in that scenario, I would say you only get to use this option once per game even if you're right - but if you are right you get to keep the appeal in you season allocation. If we're supposed to eradicating just the big poor decisions, this should be enough. 

 

And any frivolous appeal, you lose another of your allocation from the season. Also, I would force them in any appeal to state the exact moment they were appealing. So not this thing like the refs where they just look at everything until they find some excuse to chalk something off, they have to specify the moment of the build up. I'd make it a big thing as part of the game - almost like a fucking game show, with a big button, light and stop clock - then from when the clock is stopped, they have got one moment in the previous 30 seconds to appeal against. 

 

We have to get the immediate reaction back to goals. It's sucked the life out of football, to the point I am currently getting about the same satisfaction from seeing a goal as you do from a goal update in a game you're not interested in. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the appeals is it would still fuck up. Everyone seems to think Jota was on side on Saturday, yet they gave off. 

We appeal and lose it, which is wrong.

Villa appeal and goal disallowed, which is wrong.

 

The Brighton penalty, the Fulham non penalty and our numerous off sides all have one thing on common. They took fucking ages to reach a decision, zooming in and super slow motion. 

30 second time limit, no zooming and no lines.

 

Our draw one line from the defender then make the decision based on that one line. If you have to guess, then they are on side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

The problem with the appeals is it would still fuck up. Everyone seems to think Jota was on side on Saturday, yet they gave off. 

We appeal and lose it, which is wrong.

Villa appeal and goal disallowed, which is wrong.

 

The Brighton penalty, the Fulham non penalty and our numerous off sides all have one thing on common. They took fucking ages to reach a decision, zooming in and super slow motion. 

30 second time limit, no zooming and no lines.

 

Our draw one line from the defender then make the decision based on that one line. If you have to guess, then they are on side.

That's because VAR was allowed to involve itself, Scooby.

 

If we are going to be stuck with it, then I think it best to limit its involvement as much as possible.

 

VAR is proactive at the moment, sticking its nose in automatically where it's not wanted. Making VAR passive would leave the goal solely to the ref to decide whether it stands, in the first instance; and then the team conceding the goal to appeal if they disagree with that decision. Only in the event of an appeal would VAR be invited to get involved. 

 

This doesn't stop the dodgy officals being biased at the VAR desk, but it massively reduces their opportunities to interfere.

 

As Baz and others said, measure offsides from foot placement, and nothing else, if the contentious aspect of a goal is just a suspected offside. Again, the team conceding gets to make an appeal, and keep the appeal if successful, or lose it if they are wrong. Vice versa, when offside is flagged but the attacking team think it was onside.

 

This review system worked well in stopping player tennis tantrums, and was successfully adopted by cricket (thus preventing any future Shakoor Rana umpiring dodginess).

 

Or, again, scrap VAR entirely. Though that leaves us solely to the tender mercies of referees like Atkinson, Friend, Marriner, Coote et al.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×