You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

I have no doubt that it works but it ruins the game imo. You cant even celebrate a goal properly.

What are the rules?

There’s absolutely no clarity, even watching on tv you’re left generally none the wiser until the decision is made.

It seems - at least in this game - that it’s making the ref err on the side of not giving decisions too, rather than making a decision and having it overturned or confirmed.

Plus at least two times - probably more, I’m only half watching since half time - players are giving the box shape sign to the ref. As if we need more for these cunts to have in their armoury in going at the ref with.

I think if the referee is going to consult VAR, they should go and view it on the pitchside screen as a matter of course, conferring with the VAR official while doing so. For one thing, it would halve the amount of time taken to reach a decision, and for another, pretty much everybody in the ground would know what's going on. It should be made clear that no players or coaching staff can be nearby. Players should not be allowed to ask for or signal for a referral.

It does not help it that footballers are such crying, cheating twats that they are in the refs face whilst he is trying to sort things and that they are shouting for its use when they fall over (as happened tonight)

I believe they are not supposed to do that.

It needs time but if it gets things right good.

There's something very illogical about complaining every game that refs are shite and costing your side points, but being against an objective solution to the situation.

But there’s something very logical about this being something for your enjoyment, that is supposed to be watched and enjoyed, feeling like this spoils that, whether it makes the decisions correct or not.

For all the VAR, I still thought the ref was shit, so it didn’t exactly change much.

And to be honest, if VAR did not exist, I don’t believe the commentary team would have said a pen should be given, and they’d say the offside was a marginal call.

Both decisions were made correctly because VAR was there, but it’s not like they were massively egregious errors.

Personally I don’t like it. My thought is that a game that doesn’t have natural stoppage so often as American Football, tennis and cricket where it works quite well doesn’t fit this well because in those games there’s enough time and natural stoppage for a player to make the decision to challenge a genuine error, at a cost. If the challenge fails they lose the right to try again, in American football they even lose a time out, too.

I also think it’s worth noting that in American football the review system isn’t used for contact fouls which are a judgement call, it’s only used for possession (was it a catch or not) and position (in or out of bounds, where on the field) type calls.

There’s absolutely no clarity, even watching on tv you’re left generally none the wiser until the decision is made.

It seems - at least in this game - that it’s making the ref err on the side of not giving decisions too, rather than making a decision and having it overturned or confirmed.

Plus at least two times - probably more, I’m only half watching since half time - players are giving the box shape sign to the ref. As if we need more for these cunts to have in their armoury in going at the ref with.

Simps. Just start yellow carding any twat that makes the box sign. Shitcoat probably has them practicing synchronized box signs.

• Upvote 1

Simps. Just start yellow carding any twat that makes the box sign. Shitcoat probably has them practicing synchronized box signs.

And should be an automatic yellow for any player who speaks to the ref after he signals that VAR is in play.

I'm in favour of it.  I think they will iron out the problems and people will get used to it.  "People" meaning officials, players and fans alike.

I agree with the shout to book any player making the square gesture.  

Ultimately I think it leads to more correct decisions which has to be seen as a good thing.  I didn't find the stoppages too distracting, personally.

The alternative is too many howlers by the officials and Chelsea fans threatening to kill them.

I have never believed in the ' It all evens out ' theory & have always maintained we get stiffed more often than not & so am quite happy this is being introduced & it has already reversed a non - penalty decision & goal against us in just one game.

As to the application of it , this obviously needs work. As have been picked up on here , they need to work on

- Letting the fans in on it

- Bringing the time involved down, although would note that this is the first time in six matches that a ref has wanted to check the Video Ref's interpretation & it would have been quicker if 6 WBA players had not been preventing him from doing his job , which brings me to

- Automatic yellow card for anybody making a box sign or anybody other than the skipper asking for an explanation once the VAR signal has been made.

I was against it coming in before last nights game and last night only cemented my opinion of it. Its going to take away the emotion of scoring a goal. West Broms third goal was a clear example of this. The ref went to VAR for no reason and it dampened their celebration.

At the moment we are in the novelty phase of it and its all a bit of joke. Wait until teams start using it as a timewasting tactic. The Salah penalty decision took forever. I cant wait for some dogshit team to be 1 - 0 up at Anfield and they are throwing themselves all over the pitch to break up the play and cause any momentum we build up to cause a two minute delay whilst some shithouse ref refers every decision to VAR.

I'd take the occasional bad decision rather than stops in play like this, terrible idea

its not just occcasional though the officials are boarding on incompetent and they need help to make the right call.

It needs to happen faster and players that follow the ref over to the screen Having a go at him should be booked especially if after he’s watched a few replays of the incident and makes a call.

its not just occcasional though the officials are boarding on incompetent and they need help to make the right call.

It needs to happen faster and players that follow the ref over to the screen Having a go at him should be booked especially if after he’s watched a few replays of the incident and makes a call.

Apparently, all the clubs were offered a seminar to showcase how VAR was to be used, and discuss any issues raised. Liverpool agreed to this seminar whereas West Brom decided not to bother. You saw the difference in the way both sets of players and coaches reacted last night. Our players understood what was going on whereas the West Brom lot were complaining, with a couple of them being booked for dissent.

So there's no point in VAR then eh as the video ref is equally capable of making mistakes?

I agree with goal line technology though.

The obvious point is that with video the ref gets a different angle, slow motion etc, which increases the number of correct decisions significantly.

The above is a fact. Whether or not you want that and are willing to pay the price of more stoppage of play is the question I guess.

I'm all for it.

It just needs a few things ironing out, for example the communication to the crowd and the threshold for the ref going to VAR (he used it last night when West Brom had 6 players offside, WTF?!!), and the players need to stop being dickheads.

Ideally it should be a challenge system, perhaps two per half.

Apparently, all the clubs were offered a seminar to showcase how VAR was to be used, and discuss any issues raised. Liverpool agreed to this seminar whereas West Brom decided not to bother. You saw the difference in the way both sets of players and coaches reacted last night. Our players understood what was going on whereas the West Brom lot were complaining, with a couple of them being booked for dissent.

interesting point, although it sort of falls down when three major decisions went against them. I’d have liked to have seen our players and coaches decision had we had two goals chalked off and a penalty given with it.

I was initially concerned that VAR would add lots of time to the game, I needn’t have worried because the ref just didn’t add it.

If you’re going to have VAR you need the 60 minute game, two 30 minute periods and when the ball is not in play the clock stops.

As someone sitting there at the ground wondering what the fuck was going on, it would be nice if information was displayed about what the fuck was happening. If only there was some kind of display hardware around the pitch, albeit currently only on three sides.