You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fucking hell. So the VAR review of the penalty on Saturday was not to review the pen, but to decide on if it should be a red card! 

Everyone hates us with every fibre of their being. I never used to believe it until we won las year and it all came pouring out.

My boss is a Newcastle fan and he absolutely despises us. I asked him why and he said he just does, can't stand us. Fucking Newcastle!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Everyone hates us with every fibre of their being. I never used to believe it until we won las year and it all came pouring out.

My boss is a Newcastle fan and he absolutely despises us. I asked him why and he said he just does, can't stand us. Fucking Newcastle!

I think this is the main reason we get shafted by referees and commentators rather than any organIsed conspiracy.

VAR thoughts?

I know booing is something the KOP usually doesn't approve much of. But next season, or whenever Anfield is yet again packed, I'd like to see a huge BOOOOOO every time VAR interupts tha match, regardless of how and why. If VAR decision is to our advantage? I'd still want to hear a load Boooo. VAR ! = Boooooo!

3 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Inept.

The thing is they allowed Brighton to score a similar goal against Liverpool last season when Adrian was still setting up the wall. But in this past week, Southampton had a freekick goal disallowed in similar circumstances to the one today.

These officials just truly make it up as they go along. Completely inept. No wonder there were no English refs in the previous world cup and very likely, there won't be any of them in the next world cup either. 

32 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

The thing is they allowed Brighton to score a similar goal against Liverpool last season when Adrian was still setting up the wall. But in this past week, Southampton had a freekick goal disallowed in similar circumstances to the one today.

These officials just truly make it up as they go along. Completely inept. No wonder there were no English refs in the previous world cup and very likely, there won't be any of them in the next world cup either. 

They won't say they make it up. There will have been a meeting to discuss it at some pint, which nobody was aware of, and they will have decided to change approach. 

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Inept.

Honestly though, why is Lee mason blowing his whistle for the 2nd time? It's kind of got him off the hook because there is VAR. Firstly he absolutely should never allow a free kick to be taken while the keeper is setting up his wall like that - that's not a quick free kick, it's just the ref giving a helping hand. Secondly, once he has allowed it to go and he's blown his whistle, what's his reasoning to blow it again? Honestly, I don't know how people keep their jobs with this level of incompetence. 

This is one actually it looks like VAR have got right and makes a change in the doubling down on on-field incompetence. 

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Inept.

If the 2nd whistle is blown before it goes in, that’s nothing to do with VAR and is 100% Mason. 

I’d love to see some etcha-sketching on that to see if the ball had gone in before the whistle though. 

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If the 2nd whistle is blown before it goes in, that’s nothing to do with VAR and is 100% Mason. 

I’d love to see some etcha-sketching on that to see if the ball had gone in before the whistle though. 

It's VAR that's saying he blew the 2nd time before the ball crossed the line, no one else so it clearly is something to do with VAR.

But that's not the pertinent question: That is why did Mason blow a 2nd time? The suggestion is because the oppo keeper wasnt ready. If that's that case, what happened to the attacking team being able to take a quick free kick and, the defending keeper taking too long to get set?

Trent got booked quicker than that for taking a throw in at city by that fat cunt Moss and it's funny, VAR or not, Hazard's free kick against Mignolet was taken and the goal allowed when he was still setting up his wall.

22 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's VAR that's saying he blew the 2nd time before the ball crossed the line, no one else so it clearly is something to do with VAR.

But that's not the pertinent question: That is why did Mason blow a 2nd time? The suggestion is because the oppo keeper wasnt ready. If that's that case, what happened to the attacking team being able to take a quick free kick and, the defending keeper taking too long to get set?

Trent got booked quicker than that for taking a throw in at city by that fat cunt Moss and it's funny, VAR or not, Hazard's free kick against Mignolet was taken and the goal allowed when he was still setting up his wall.

If Moss blew the whistle before it went it, sorry, but it's got to be disallowed. 

If it had gone in before the 2nd blow, then thats a different matter - and there absolutely needs to be some line drawing to determine that. I cannot say from the naked eye either way. I'm leaning towards it was over the line but yet to hit the back of the net, buts thats only my instinct but that would still make it a goal.

I did say "if it hadn't crossed the line" in my last post.

So, yeah, sorry, VAR still has a question to answer, if it had crossed the line.

If it hadn't crossed the line, it's 100% on Mason. If he'd surveyed the situation properly the first time, there is no need for the 2nd blow.

Also, it was Luiz who scored the quick free kick for Chelsea. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If Moss blew the whistle before it went it, sorry, but it's got to be disallowed. 

If it had gone in before the 2nd blow, then thats a different matter - and there absolutely needs to be some line drawing to determine that. I cannot say from the naked eye either way. I'm leaning towards it was over the line but yet to hit the back of the net, buts thats only my instinct but that would still make it a goal.

I did say "if it hadn't crossed the line" in my last post.

So, yeah, sorry, VAR still has a question to answer, if it had crossed the line.

If it hadn't crossed the line, it's 100% on Mason. If he'd surveyed the situation properly the first time, there is no need for the 2nd blow.

Also, it was Luiz who scored the quick free kick for Chelsea. 

No one's disagreeing with you about Mason, not Moss, blowing a 2nd time before the ball crossed. People are asking why he blew a 2nd time. The suggestion seems to be the keeper wasnt set although he'd appeared to have got his wall set up. We dont know unless PGMOL \ FA \ PL have clarified it.

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

No one's disagreeing with you about Mason, not Moss, blowing a 2nd time before the ball crossed. People are asking why he blew a 2nd time. The suggestion seems to be the keeper wasnt set although he'd appeared to have got his wall set up. We dont know unless PGMOL \ FA \ PL have clarified it.

Sorry, my bad, yes Mason. Moss is another incompetent old, fat, bald cunt, hence the confusion!

I’d suggest Mason blew without checking everybody was set, saw it was going on and tried to stop the goal by blowing again. 

I doubt the FA or whoever will give any insight, the only person who knows is Mason as he’ll never admit to the fuck up, or be allowed to admit to it. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Sorry, my bad, yes Mason. Moss is another incompetent old, fat, bald cunt, hence the confusion!

I’d suggest Mason blew without checking everybody was set, saw it was going on and tried to stop the goal by blowing again. 

I doubt the FA or whoever will give any insight, the only person who knows is Mason as he’ll never admit to the fuck up, or be allowed to admit to it. 

They'll do what they've done countless times this season, watch the video a million times and concoct a story to fit the outcome. There's been loads of occasions where they've changed their story more than once on why things were awarded. I have only seen a clip someone sent me on this, but I believe the outcome was another Brighton free kick? It's difficult to think of a reason how that is the outcome when the reason for a 2nd blow is "I fucked up". 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

They'll do what they've done countless times this season, what the video a million times and concoct a story to fit the outcome. There's been loads of occasions where they've changed their story more than once on why things were awarded. I have only seen a clip someone sent me on this, but I believe the outcome was another Brighton free kick? It's difficult to think of a reason how that is the outcome when the reason for a 2nd blow is "I fucked up". 

I agree. If the ball has crossed the line before he blew the whistle, I bet VAR then says there was an offside player in the keepers line of sight (despite that being clearly bollocks). 

I said in the “Other Football” thread that I think it’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen and I genuinely mean that.

The only explanation is he fucked up, there is absolutely no other option. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I agree. If the ball has crossed the line before he blew the whistle, I bet VAR then says there was an offside player in the keepers line of sight (despite that being clearly bollocks). 

I said in the “Other Football” thread that I think it’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen and I genuinely mean that.

The only explanation is he fucked up, there is absolutely no other option. 

Funnily enough, the original clip I was sent (which unfortunately has been taken down now) was claiming an offside. But of course that can't be correct or it wouldn't be another Brighton free kick.