You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

36 minutes ago, Code said:

How? Its further away from our goal than two Leicester players.  

You haven’t quoted me properly but assume you’re talking about Bobby’s foot?

Ignore the actual lines, but if you drew your own line in the correct angle then Bobby’s foot is closer to our goal than their players.

14 minutes ago, Brownie said:

You haven’t quoted me properly but assume you’re talking about Bobby’s foot?

Ignore the actual lines, but if you drew your own line in the correct angle then Bobby’s foot is closer to our goal than their players.

Something happened, not sure what.

Cant see there being anything wrong with the lines, they seem to be at the right place. 

48 minutes ago, Code said:

Not even looked at, first a stamp, then a hook. 

E3E0EC41-8E46-4003-9609-B8A845B48284.jpeg

0E14C43C-46FD-4522-8E5C-33A7E549550D.jpeg

I'm not too sure I'd say that was a stamp. However at the time I felt that contact was not dissimilar to the pen given against us earlier in the season on the line of the box by fabinho, I can't remember the game now, but it was in the 1st week or two after vvd got injured. For me they've made it clear stepping on someone foot in the box is a pen..that's what happened today for me 100% a pen with the rules we're supposed to be applying and I feel it's this type of thing we should be calling out the refs on. 

The other thing I'm finding tough is I can understand a ref not calling that in real time. And it seems when it's us going forward it's just not "clear and obvious" when it's the other way, they run it 300 times till they can give a pen. 

That picture without the lines is clearer it looks like he has played him on after all. My issue with it though is the blurriness of his foot and no picture of the ball being struck so my issue is with the micromanaging of offside with VAR itself but using it it does look onside. 

Bastard that's made my kneejerk seem really churlish.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

That picture without the lines is clearer it looks like he has played him on after all. My issue with it though is the blurriness of his foot and no picture of the ball being struck so my issue is with the micromanaging of offside with VAR itself but using it it does look onside. 

Bastard that's made my kneejerk seem really churlish.

That picture isnt square on and the lino gave it off.

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The lino probably gave it off due to the arm. I've no idea what the arm rule is now.

Unfortunately what the lino thinks only counts now if its no goal. If it's a goal, etcha-sketch takes over. It does my head in. But I can accept a world where that today is onside. If the lino has flagged though, I want to go with their decision. If we're not going with their decision, why don't we get rid of them?

• Upvote 1

The line drawing is a load of bollocks we all know that. We can all accept that it’s very close and could go either way.

When things are going against you, it goes the wrong way.

Poor decisin by the ref followed by a marginal offside call. Just how our luck is going.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Unfortunately what the lino thinks only counts now if its no goal. If it's a goal, etcha-sketch takes over. It does my head in. But I can accept a world where that today is onside. If the lino has flagged though, I want to go with their decision. If we're not going with their decision, why don't we get rid of them?

I posted this a while back. Honestly don't see the point of them now. In any close call where a goal is scored, they go to VAR. If the defending team get the ball back then the linesman either flags or he doesn't, but who cares, the defence. Got the ball back anyway. Its literally just corners, throw ins and flagging for free kicks when the ref has already blew his whistle. 

Surely it can't be long before clubs/shareholders (no idea if any clubs are still listed) start to take action on this, particularly if there has been some sort of financial loss (missing out of CL, Relegation, etc). 

You can't have a multi billion pound industry influenced to such a degree by incompetents who continually make inconsistent decisions with no consequence. Or maybe you can. 

14 hours ago, Code said:

Not even looked at, first a stamp, then a hook. 

E3E0EC41-8E46-4003-9609-B8A845B48284.jpeg

0E14C43C-46FD-4522-8E5C-33A7E549550D.jpeg

This. Absolutely fucking this. You can guarantee had it been the other way with Vardy and Trent it would have been a penalty.

Had it been a United/City game, instant penalty.

That was more of a penalty than the fucking joke one against Brighton away.

12 hours ago, Brownie said:

The line drawing is a load of bollocks we all know that. We can all accept that it’s very close and could go either way.

Poor decision by the ref followed by a marginal offside call. Just how our luck is going.

When it's very close the VAR can decide which way he wants it to go. 

That's what I don't like about this, it might not necessarily be blatant bias against us, but if the ref thinks it's more entertaining for there to be an equaliser then they have the power to draw some dodgy lines to give/not give goals and pens. 

Sprinkle a few of these decisions throughout the season and they can create an open title race, instead of one team running away with it. 

12 hours ago, Brownie said:

Poor decisin by the ref followed by a marginal offside call. Just how our luck is going.

The ref gave a pen, so not everything is going against us. 

Time to replace the cunt refs with cunt robots.

Just need to make sure they aren't programmed by Mike Riley, Howard Webb and the gang. We have the worst of all worlds at the moment incompetent and biased refs trying to defend their colleagues and putting the blame on technology.

If robot dentists can replace teeth and robot cars take you for a spin. I'm sure we could use AI and multi angle cameras to be programmed with the right decision making without human biases and fallability. I also like the idea of fans arguing about cunt robots and managers looking to square up to a robot on the touchlines.

92CK5Cb.gif

image.png

• Upvote 1

It's absolute shite and everyone who always moaned about refs can take a share of the blame for it existing. There's moaning at the ref at the game and then there's those who constantly blame referees for everything on the internet, on radio, on TV, in newspapers, emboldening the decision to add VAR, backed by TV companies who want more talking points and a better TV show.

Offside and VAR, if it has to exist, should work like this - Linesman makes the call on the pitch, VAR has 10 seconds to do a naked eye check, if it's too close to call on the naked eye check then stay with the original decision. End.

This obsession with having to get every single thing right has meant they overthink decisions, they get too deep in the weeds on decisions and now we're bogged down in such minutiae that it's like playing a game and having to stop to check the rules every few minutes. That's not fun, nobody but the most pedantic of pedants would want that.

Also, how can you apply video replay tech in a game where it's an open secret that nearly every player is out to cheat to gain an advantage? This is a game where we have to spray foam on the grass to stop cheating for fuck's sake. Unless you start admitting that dives are just that, that you'll punish them retroactively, then you'll have bullshit penalties and stupid free kicks. Except no one wants to admit that they all cheat so we have euphemisms like "excuse to go down" and the like. Clusterfuck.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

It's absolute shite and everyone who always moaned about refs can take a share of the blame for it existing. There's moaning at the ref at the game and then there's those who constantly blame referees for everything on the internet, on radio, on TV, in newspapers, emboldening the decision to add VAR, backed by TV companies who want more talking points and a better TV show.

Offside and VAR, if it has to exist, should work like this - Linesman makes the call on the pitch, VAR has 10 seconds to do a naked eye check, if it's too close to call on the naked eye check then stay with the original decision. End.

This obsession with having to get every single thing right has meant they overthink decisions, they get too deep in the weeds on decisions and now we're bogged down in such minutiae that it's like playing a game and having to stop to check the rules every few minutes. That's not fun, nobody but the most pedantic of pedants would want that.

Also, how can you apply video replay tech in a game where it's an open secret that nearly every player is out to cheat to gain an advantage? This is a game where we have to spray foam on the grass to stop cheating for fuck's sake. Unless you start admitting that dives are just that, that you'll punish them retroactively, then you'll have bullshit penalties and stupid free kicks. Except no one wants to admit that they all cheat so we have euphemisms like "excuse to go down" and the like. Clusterfuck.

I never wanted VAR, however I don't think even it's biggest advocates would have expected it to be the micromanaging bag of shite it is. I think the expectation of all rational human beings was var would be used to ensure refs no longer get big calls wrong. Nobody in their right mind would think there'd be minutes and minutes of playing video back and forth and some bloke with an etcha-sketch giving offside. I don't think anyone who wanted more correct decisions can be blamed for the shit show we see now. 

• Upvote 2