You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

The danger with using ex players is the bias. Could you imagine an ex manc player being on VAR for one of our games? Easy solution, dont have ex mancs doing our games and vice versa but what about Alan Smith or any other ex pro, can you be sure they wont screw us over every bit as much as some refs?

The real issue is refs and the PGMOL are fucking shite. Everything Mike Riley touches turns to shit.

Some very basic stuff would improve the use of VAR, such as:

VAR flags 'potential' issues the ref has missed.

VAR does NOT tell the ref they think he's missed an offside, handball, red card incident, penalty etc. They just say stop the game, have a look at the monitor.

No drawing lines on the screen for offside.

Ref has 30 seconds to look at the monitor and make a decision.

Clear offsides lino sticks their fucking flag up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Hated their equaliser at the time

because I didn’t notice Bobby’s foot. Having watched it back it just looks onside to me, unfortunately.

The type of shit that happens when things are going against you.

Bobby's foot isn't touching the line that's been drawn though

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Hated their equaliser at the time because I didn’t notice Bobby’s foot. Having watched it back it just looks onside to me, unfortunately.

The type of shit that happens when things are going against you.

If the roles were reversed, do you think we would have got the decision?

• Upvote 1

On 09/02/2021 at 21:40, dockers_strike said:

The danger with using ex players is the bias. Could you imagine an ex manc player being on VAR for one of our games? Easy solution, dont have ex mancs doing our games and vice versa but what about Alan Smith or any other ex pro, can you be sure they wont screw us over every bit as much as some refs?

The real issue is refs and the PGMOL are fucking shite. Everything Mike Riley touches turns to shit.

Some very basic stuff would improve the use of VAR, such as:

VAR flags 'potential' issues the ref has missed.

VAR does NOT tell the ref they think he's missed an offside, handball, red card incident, penalty etc. They just say stop the game, have a look at the monitor.

No drawing lines on the screen for offside.

Ref has 30 seconds to look at the monitor and make a decision.

Clear offsides lino sticks their fucking flag up.

Have a VAR panel of three, all in separate locations and 30-60 seconds to check the footage. They vote in favour of sticking with or overruling the referee and the decision is final.

8 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

If the roles were reversed, do you think we would have got the decision?

Yes. I’m not completely closed off to the idea that refs are subconsciously open to giving us little but I think it’s just more likely that they are incompetent and inconsistent.

9 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Yes. I’m not completely closed off to the idea that refs are subconsciously open to giving us little but I think it’s just more likely that they are incompetent and inconsistent.

Given what we've seen so far this season, I think that's unrealistic.

The problem I have with that offside today is dead easy. We can see for loads of reasons why where the line was drawn (subjective) is not correct (you can't see bobby's toe). However, if for a minute we forgot the last 2 seasons, I think we'd all agree that should be onside. And our experience of the last 2 years is if that's us scoring, it is offside. And despite being told offside is black and white, we know it's subjective based on where the var puts his marks.  It's impossible to believe it's not rigged when you've had our decisions sinnce var started. 

But let's be honest, what we all really want is a world where there's no VAR and that's as onside as the lino said it was. That should be onside. 

I'm.a massive advocate of sticking VAR into a rocket and blasting it into the heart of the sun. But I would like to think after I've done that, that 1st goal today would be onside. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t like to make excuses. We’ve been shit regardless.

Rather focus on things we can influence.

Id never say we've been shit. I agree we've been poor especially during the Christmas \ New Year run of games. At the same time, Ive never known a season where we've been on the end of so many diabolical officiating decisions.

VAR aside today, once again a ref is brandishing cards at our players while allowing the oppos to go through our players. Nearly every game we pick up more cards than the oppos.

Either we're a lot more snidey on the pitch than we think or something strange is going on. We're normally one of the clubs at or near the top of the fair play league so I dont understand how we get more cards than the oppos.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aws said:

Why are we talking about Bobby's foot? He's facing upfield so unless his feet are on backwards it's only his heel which can be relevant and that is short of both lines. 

It’s an irrelevance anyway.  The Leicester players knee is ahead of the VAR line.

• Like 1