You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

I've just watched the highlights of the Copa Libertadores semi-final between Palmeiras and River Plate. River Plate won 2-0 but lost on aggregate. They had 2 penalties ruled out for a dive and a non-foul respectively, and another goal ruled out for offside by VAR. Shock horror, the decisions were absolutely spot-on after the referee checked the VAR screen. If those incidents had happened in the PL, the offside goal would have been ruled out but at least one of the penalties would have been given (not to us of course).

59 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

That Oliver has come out now and admitted his shortcomings in not sending Pickford off is, I feel, somewhat suspicious.

Normally these things are kept muted.

He wouldn’t have said this without the PGMOL knowing or perhaps even condoning it surely?
I can’t help feeling the timing, with us playing United next, is too convenient.

Perhaps I’m looking too much into it, but it’ll be interesting to see how the decisions go on Sunday, I won’t be holding my breath about who gets any contentious decisions though.

That it's taken the prick this long to come out and say it stinks. Had he watched it after the game he could have reported it and retrospective action might have been taken. Leaving it so long he's allowed it to be ignored. 

I wouldn't mind but I am pretty sure he did watch it straight after as it was all over the media. It stinks. 

On 13/01/2021 at 15:50, VladimirIlyich said:

Just seen this article from Keith Hackett from a couple of months ago and he speaks total sense in it. Even the old referees were far better than anything since

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/11/keith-hackett-referees-have-lost-the-plot-on-handball-premier-league-var

Used to love 'You are the ref' in Shoot with Hackett.

Of course now the answer would always be penalty to Man Utd.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

Used to love 'You are the ref' in Shoot

I remember when "You are the Ref" was an esteemed little mind-bending illustrative pursuit in Shoot!  A bit like the childhood equivalent of sitting in a quaint pub doing the cryptic crossword over a pint.

Now, trying to decipher reffing is like playing a game of Space Invaders in a shady amusement parlour.  Or being taught Technical Drawing by a shit year 8 teacher.

18 minutes ago, skaro said:

I remember when "You are the Ref" was an esteemed little mind-bending illustrative pursuit in Shoot!  A bit like the childhood equivalent of sitting in a quaint pub doing the cryptic crossword over a pint.

Now, trying to decipher reffing is like playing a game of Space Invaders in a shady amusement parlour.  Or being taught Technical Drawing by a shit year 8 teacher.

Whilst being taught how to play speed chess blindfold!

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Why? That was a pen tonight. He threw himself in. Didn't get to the ball. Let Barnes go over him.  The only issue for me tonight is fabinho getting booked and Barnes not. 

If that was a penalty, then Mane's should have been as well. The circumstances were identical. I don't think either should have been given.

36 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Why? That was a pen tonight. He threw himself in. Didn't get to the ball. Let Barnes go over him.  The only issue for me tonight is fabinho getting booked and Barnes not. 

Handball.

Barnes issue.

That's just tonight. 

Relentless over the season. Corrupt.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

If that was a penalty, then Mane's should have been as well. The circumstances were identical. I don't think either should have been given.

Maybe it was the beers, but I can't think of the mane one. 

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Handball.

Barnes issue.

That's just tonight. 

Relentless over the season. Corrupt.

Handball wasn't thought was it? They were given earlier in the season and they stopped giving them 

Barnes, VAR can't get involved unless it's a straight red. So blame Dean, but it's nothing to do with VAR. 

And so whatever has happened the rest of the season, VAR didn't impact us at all tonight. 

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

The Mane one wasn't identical but it was similar enough to warrant another look and an explanation.  

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe it was the beers, but I can't think of the mane one. 

Possibly because it was completely overlooked, in fact Carragher said it was a good challenge.

About half way through the second half, the ball went across from the right with Mane running onto it from the edge of the box.  The Burnley player slid across from the left and got nowhere near the ball and took Mane out.  Mane got a shot off (skied it) but potentially impeded by the incoming challenge which was coming a mile off.

Barnes, who had been booked, gets I volved with Fab on HT. Obviously only Fab booked.

Barnes deliberate handball to stop our attack.

Matip deliberate handball to stop their attack. Only one booked and it wasn't Barnes.

Mane gets a shot off, then taken out.

Barnes gets a shot off, then instigates contact. Only one given as a penalty 

It has gotten to the point were when we are only slightly fucked over we think the ref had a decent game. 

We just accept that any team at Anfield will be able to time waste without consequences, but we delay a goalkick for 10 seconds and get a booking. 

Pope finally got warned after 70 mins, then his next three kicks took at least 45 seconds, given up counting after that. No punishment, not even a token 93rd minute booking.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Code said:

I thought VAR would overturn the penalty. 

I hoped they would but never expected it. There was no contact until the striker dropped his foot onto Alison's prone body. The VAR ref obviously decided he didn't need to look at it closely. 

17 minutes ago, aws said:

I hoped they would but never expected it. There was no contact until the striker dropped his foot onto Alison's prone body. The VAR ref obviously decided he didn't need to look at it closely. 

Yes I agree. 

How it gets used is bizarre. Similar cases one reviewed to death another just brushed aside. The league standings seem to be based on how fucked over you are as much as how you've performed.

One team handball and its not given not reviewed pundits say silhoute its harsh if it was given then the exact same incident given by VAR and its well those are the rules technically. VAR has made the games far worse its impact has been as negative as covid in terms of enjoyment, even basics like offside has been totally fucked.