You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

37 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Sky said it was looked at but VAR decided it wasnt a pen.

Bringing somebody down in the box & getting nowhere near the ball isn’t a pen?

I know it was an accident but tough shit, he took out Mane on the way down, costing us a goal scoring opportunity.

After nearly every game (win, lose or draw) at the moment, I think to myself that I might not bother watching the next game. I don't really look forward to the games, I don't look forward to our goals because I know they'll likely be analysed to death before a decision is made. I haven't celebrated a goal properly for over a year. The last game I went to was Spring 2019 & I have no intention of ever going back as long as VAR is around, I don't really understand why would anyone would pay to watch this bollocks.

Is this how I should be feeling when we have the best manager in the World & one of the best teams going? 

Get it to fuck.

Scrap-VAR.png

• Upvote 3

I said to my lad that as soon as they looked at Son's goal that it would be given. 99 times out of a hundred it wouldnt but knew it would against us. It's an absolute farce the way its being used in the PL and is purely for the tv viewer and is further evidence of the Americanisation of British sport. Its garbage and so are the morons who use it.

• Upvote 1

I think people giving the match officials too much credit presuming there's some sort of corruption or agenda against us amongst the refs. They just don't like Liverpool or Liverpool fans that much, like most of the rest of the country, and of course they're fucking shit. I don't think they have the mental capacity to have an agenda against one team.

I genuinely reckon Taylor has looked back on that performance last night (where he was getting basic decisions like corners, goal kicks, and handballs wrong for both sides) and thought, I've done well there, that was a tough match to ref. And he can fall back on 100% backing for all his shit decisions last night from Mike Riley and PGMOL, who have the same mentality as the police when it comes to sticking up for one of their own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On Son’s goal last night, if the rule was applied like that all the time (ie super close calls go to the benefit of the attacker) then I have absolutely no problem with and that and that’s the way it should be applied IMO.

But when you see the way Hendo’s goal at Everton and Salah at Brighton we’re forensically analysed to the nth degree, does question why the goal last night wasn’t subjected to the same ridiculous analysis.

Same with Chelsea’s goal on Tuesday. Werner looked more offside than Son last night and it wasn’t even checked.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Lario said:

When you see the pains they went to to have Henderson's goal against Everton disallowed, and compare it to the job they did last night, you can understand why people are questioning things.

Also, am I missing something when a player can see the incoming ball all the way onto his arm (that he's attempting to wrap around his opponent btw), yet nothing at all is made of it? 

1 hour ago, Lario said:

When you see the pains they went to to have Henderson's goal against Everton disallowed, and compare it to the job they did last night, you can understand why people are questioning things.

I’ve referenced this above.

It’s people not being good at their jobs, not some conspiracy. 

38 minutes ago, A_S said:

Also, am I missing something when a player can see the incoming ball all the way onto his arm (that he's attempting to wrap around his opponent btw), yet nothing at all is made of it? 

Clattenburg explained this during the game. It’s not an un-natural position, Salah jumps which forces his arm up.

I’d be disappointed if that was given against us. 

I’m not even sure it hit him below the t-shirt line. 

1 hour ago, A_S said:

That wasn't a penalty in a million years. We would flip if it was given against us. 

The ref was a prick last night but VAR was good, in and out decision made in a few seconds. The way it should be. Our winning goal could have been ruled out if they wanted to be pricks, every corner has some fouling going on, if corruption was at play they would have taken the minute required to find the foul and rule out the goal.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

On Son’s goal last night, if the rule was applied like that all the time (ie super close calls go to the benefit of the attacker) then I have absolutely no problem with and that and that’s the way it should be applied IMO.

But when you see the way Hendo’s goal at Everton and Salah at Brighton we’re forensically analysed to the nth degree, does question why the goal last night wasn’t subjected to the same ridiculous analysis.

Same with Chelsea’s goal on Tuesday. Werner looked more offside than Son last night and it wasn’t even checked.

They didn't make it super close so awarded it to the forward. They said that the toes were the furthest forward of both players, so the cross hairs weren't required, just the initial lines on the pitch. Personally I thought Son's arm was furthest forward (but I would need to see that again, but it was my reaction at the time).  

1 hour ago, No2 said:

That wasn't a penalty in a million years. We would flip if it was given against us. 

The ref was a prick last night but VAR was good, in and out decision made in a few seconds. The way it should be. Our winning goal could have been ruled out if they wanted to be pricks, every corner has some fouling going on, if corruption was at play they would have taken the minute required to find the foul and rule out the goal.

Did you not think the way they've been giving handball that it was? I would agree it isn't any handball I've known before this season, but the way they've applied the rules this season I thought it seemed a pretty straight forward choice.  

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Having seen what's been given against us and other teams, it clearly was a pen last night. Before they fucked about with the handball rule I would not be shouting for a pen but am now.

Hand to ball should always be the criteria but they made any contact  from shoulder to finger tip handball. How can they argue a ball brushing a striker's hand unintentionally is hand ball so the goal doesnt stand yet a ball striking a defenders arm in the box isnt? Add in this shit about keepers a centimeter off their line and a pen has to be retaken if he saves it and the game's now riddled with inconsistency.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Was there any explanation as to why a really tight offside call only took them a twentieth of a nanosecond to conclude while it usually takes most of an afternoon?

The part of their bodies nearest the goal were their feet, so they didn't have to fanny about with the crosshairs thingy. Makes it much easier.

2 hours ago, Jennings said:

I am OK with the decisions made last night, as long as they are made that way consistently...

...which they won't be.

Agreed. I think there's been a shift to only using VAR for what it was intended for - clear and obvious errors. Most decisions in the past week have just accepted that the referee's call is a subjective one, and moved on. It feels like a balance is slowly being reached.

I still don't like the gut feeling I get with VAR when a goal is scored though. It's less one of elation, and more one of dread, as the wait begins for them to find some reason to rule it out.

37 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I still don't like the gut feeling I get with VAR when a goal is scored though. It's less one of elation, and more one of dread, as the wait begins for them to find some reason to rule it out.

Completely agree. As a live spectacle footy is a busted flush.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Someone convince me it isn't corrupt. 

It's not corrupt, mate. 

Remember...long ago...long, long ago...

...the chimps responsible for applying the footy rules, seemed to be getting it wrong and were considered to be a bit shit.

So, the chimps tried to introduce a 'Respect' campaign to force people to accept their incorrect decisions.

It failed. Of course.

Something had to be done. I mean...obviously not training them to be better....something else.

So, the footy authorities decided to introduce VAR. A new technology that would show whether an infringement of the laws had taken place.

However control of VAR was given to the chimps.

The chimps decided not to use it to see if an infringement had taken place...but ...instead...to prove if the on-field chimp had made a 'clear and obvious' mistake. This is completely different to checking whether an infringement to the laws had occurred.

It had become about self protection.

A 'clear and obvious error' is two things. It is clear. It is obvious. 

However the chimps needed 24 replays to determine if it was clear an obvious.  Not because they couldn't prove that the laws had been broken...but because it needed this effort to prove that the on-field chimp 'could' somehow be 'considered', to be correct. 

So...basically....VAR is largely used by off field chimps, to prove the on-field chimp is in fact not-a-chimp. 

It has failed.

Corruption would require them to know what the correct decision is. They really don't. They are completely inept.

God bless 'em....and replace 'em.