You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

Just now, Bob Spunkmouse said:

The R in VAR stands for referee. The refs are wank, indeed, but VAR is one of them.

Haha, well, sort of yeah. The guy behind the screen is a prick. This is the big flaw behind VAR, the shit refs are shit. They’re not even implementing it as it’s intended. Guesstimate lines? Fuck off. Every single thing scrutinised rather than big errors. Fuck off. 

Yea, clear and obvious doesn't really tie in with the "examining everything down to the millimetre/microsecond" but they kind of have to stick to some sort of accurate measures if they want to be consistent. If they had 3 refs just eyeball it and vote then it would be faster, mostly fair but there would likely be some room for error still.

As it is, it's a shitshow and clearly far far worse than just having some decisions go against you naturally, IMO

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Yea, clear and obvious doesn't really tie in with the "examining everything down to the millimetre/microsecond" but they kind of have to stick to some sort of accurate measures if they want to be consistent. If they had 3 refs just eyeball it and vote then it would be faster, mostly fair but there would likely be some room for error still.

As it is, it's a shitshow and clearly far far worse than just having some decisions go against you naturally, IMO

Totally agree with the principle. And no reason it couldn’t happen with games being played one at a time at this period to trial it, but once we’re back to multiple matches happening at 3pm, there simply isn’t enough refs to go around to make something like that work.

It shouldn’t be impossible to have the same overall impact with just one VAR official though. Just ask that official to rewatch the even once or twice and form a judgement. They are supposed to be good enough to do the job on the field, so why not ask them to do the job from the TV as a second pair of eyes.

doesn’t need the nonsense. Forget super slow mo, forget pixel width lines. 2 or 3 replays from different angles, if the decision looks wrong overturn it. If it doesn’t, leave it where it is.

That by definition brings “clear and obvious” into it, as if you’re only seeing it a couple of times and being asked to make a judgement within a 60 second time limit (for example) you’re only gonna stick your neck out if it’s obviously a wrong decision.

lots of soft pens given will stay given, lots of “coulda been” pens and I’ll stay not given.

lots of tight offsides will stay on or off as called.

blatant dives will be overturned, missed nasty challenges will be seen, clearly wrong offsides will be overturned. The clear and obvious error will be removed from the game.

it’s too simple to happen, but it shouldn’t be hard.

oh, and mic up the twats so we hear the decision making. After all, it should be nothing more than “looks like there might’ve been contact but can’t say for sure, so stay with your decision” or “it’s not clear which players arm it hit, stay with your decision” or “he’s clearly offside when the ball is played, disallow the goal”.

shouldn’t be in any way controversial if you take out the controversial way they are calling decisions.

4 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

...within a 60 second time limit (for example) you’re only gonna stick your neck out if it’s obviously a wrong decision.

I see a problem cap'n. As it is, there seems to be no shame in awarding the mancs pelanties by the barrowload, paying no heed to the rights and wrongs. All you'll be getting is the same pennos awarded in a marginally shorter time. These people have no issue with sticking their necks out. That gonky-eyed cunt was brazen in the decisions he made in the derby. Like he gives a fuck about getting it wrong. None of them does. 

No solution, with or without VAR will stop United getting penalties. That cannot be fixed, there is no answer to that.

As for the other example of the derby... go ahead, brazenly fail to apply the laws properly. Be my guest. But let the world hear your incompetence and be judged by it.

Everything he’s said is right, but there’s no going back to accepting wrong decisions unfortunately. 

so the best we can hope for is to make more of the decisions more quickly by accepting more often the decision on the field if it’s close enough.

7 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Everything he’s said is right, but there’s no going back to accepting wrong decisions unfortunately. 

so the best we can hope for is to make more of the decisions more quickly by accepting more often the decision on the field if it’s close enough.

I don't disagree but its not like wrong decisions have went away. And when identical incidents have different outcomes, how was one not wrong?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

I don't disagree but its not like wrong decisions have went away. And when identical incidents have different outcomes, how was one not wrong?

They haven’t, but some have (as shit as it is, they have got some things right, like the penalty vs wolves being overturned) so that will be the argument

2 hours ago, Jennings said:

Tip for the video assistant referee: If you need to scrutinise it 17 times before calling the referee over to check it himself, then it's not 'clear and obvious'. 

Indeed. So what was really going on at Fulham was the video assistant referee saying "Help. I'm trying desperately to award a penno and can't quite justify doing so. Can you see a way?" 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

And then you had Souness and Evra trying their hardest to convince themselves it was a pen on Sky, followed by the twitter outrage that the handball for ours wasn't a handball. 

I tend to imagine us as the US Election and other teams fans as Trump supporters and it makes a lot more sense that way.

• Upvote 1

I had a bit of a rant in the MF match thread yesterday. We just have to fuck this shit off now. 

Finally, fucking VAR. It took them 3 minutes to do what? Everyone watching and everyone in the stadium knew what happened. And whoever was operating just couldn't wait to give a pen. Is that not "forensic analysis" that we get told VAR won't do? Yet when they scored, they didn't even look at the push on Salah which was clearly more a foul than that tackle made by fabinho - was that not worth 3 minutes of analysis of the fabinho one was? When you see stuff like that, it makes you think it's fucking corrupt. Up to now, I have mostly stuck with the idea it's like having a 3 year old at the wheel of an F1 car to go the shops. They're just incompetent and incapable of getting it right and the F1 car is the wrong tool anyway. But that today was a fucking disgrace. We got the right decision in the end for the pen, but not thanks to the VAR who was absolutely desperate to find something there. LFC should be putting in a complaint to the premier league about that VARs behaviour and question the methodology that is being applied by VAR in our games. PGMOL needs to be fucked off along with VAR.

• Upvote 1

An incident which went yesterday which I don't think I've seen anybody mention (I've not read the match thread and it wasn't in the report).

Just before half time, we had a free kick. Robbo put a really good delivery into the box, Mane is going to get there first and likely, at least, work the keeper. His marker slipped, catching Mane & send Mane tumbling to the turf.

While I'm not saying the defender did it on purpose and it was completely an accident, he's stopped Mane getting his dead on that and, in all probability, equalising.

Why was this not looked at?

3 minutes looking at that Fabinho challenge, slowing it down to multiple angles is not "clear and obvious". But a 2 handed nudge in Salah's back isn't mentioned.

24 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

An incident which went yesterday which I don't think I've seen anybody mention (I've not read the match thread and it wasn't in the report).

Just before half time, we had a free kick. Robbo put a really good delivery into the box, Mane is going to get there first and likely, at least, work the keeper. His marker slipped, catching Mane & send Mane tumbling to the turf.

While I'm not saying the defender did it on purpose and it was completely an accident, he's stopped Mane getting his dead on that and, in all probability, equalising.

Why was this not looked at?

3 minutes looking at that Fabinho challenge, slowing it down to multiple angles is not "clear and obvious". But a 2 handed nudge in Salah's back isn't mentioned.

Sky said it was looked at but VAR decided it wasnt a pen.