You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

2 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

I’d give them 10 seconds to prove it wrong & then it goes with on field decision. If you can’t figure it out then it’s not clear & obvious, is it. 

That is absolutely fine as long as Officials start making decisions again. At the moment, they avoid anything contentious in the belief VAR will correct any mistake afterwards.

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I haven't seen this incident. Was it a corner?

No.  Keeper wellied  it upfield from about five yards from touchline, it seemed to swerve out then back infield landing a couple of yards from the line. The lino was running forward and didn't have a good view over his shoulder, it flew right over where Moyes was standing and he was going ape-shit. Would have been hilarious if another side had benefited. 

1 minute ago, aws said:

No.  Keeper welled it upfield from about five yards from touchline, it seemed to swerve out then back infield landing a couple of yards from the line. The lino was running forward and didn't have a good view over his shoulder, it flew right over where Moyes as standing and he was going ape-shit. 

Is var allowed to intervene? 

What the fuck is going on with this bullshit that camera angles are suddenly not available to VAR? Gallagher has just said that VAR didn't have the camera angle to show the ball went out of play for the Man Utd goal but "subsequently we've seen it is out".  And then for the Chilwell non-penalty against Leeds he says that the difference between that incident and Robertson/Wellbeck was that on Chilwell, the VAR only had the same angle as the ref and didn't have the angle from behind the goal, having just repeated the incident with a camera angle behind the goal!  Are they now claiming where the VAR is making mistakes and being inconsistent that VAR didn't have all the available camera angles at the time?  Not sure if it's the official line or just Gallagher talking shit.

edit:  if they are now claiming that VAR doesn't get all the available camera angles then it's not fit for purpose - they are digging a bigger hole with every passing week

The United goal is more on the linesman than VAR for me. Surely in that situation the linesman has to think it will be close and decide to look at the flight of the ball, even if it means he can’t keep completely up with play as a result.

at the end of the day VAR is able to help him if he misses an offside because he’s not up with play, but videos have never been used to monitor the side line.

I hate VAR, everyone knows that, but on this occasion the official needs to do his job.

As for the pen yesterday. Looked a pen to me in full speed so good job by VAR seeing it wasn’t. If it only ever sorted out these kinds of wrong decisions nobody would think it was a bad thing, but this is such a rare occasion that it did well without any fuck ups.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Brighton suffering from bullshit pen syndrome this week. Pouring over a foul to see if it happened in the area, not clear and obvious at all. Should go with the ref but they upgraded it.

They were shocking. Gutted we dropped points against these.

BT had a program on last night following UEFA refs. The bit I seen was around the CL QF in 2019. Listening to them work I could nearly get on board with VAR. There was a French lad talking about all eyes on him during a VAR wait and he had to show stature and confidence while he waited, essentially saying give me the decision quick or fuck off. The Dutch lad was similar,  he had to be strong and assured and have the trust of the players, delays from VAR were incompatible with his refereeing. 

It was the complete opposite of the PL, these guys wouldn't allow someone else re-referee the game. Even last nights Utd game, the penalty wasn't a penalty but they weren't prepared to spend 5 minutes arguing the toss when it wasn't a shocker. Similar with the 2nd goal, it looked like it hit his arm on one angle but head on another, again they didn't  hang around, if there wasn't quick and conclusive proof of an error they moved on. Exactly as it should be.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

BT had a program on last night following UEFA refs. The bit I seen was around the CL QF in 2019. Listening to them work I could nearly get on board with VAR. There was a French lad talking about all eyes on him during a VAR wait and he had to show stature and confidence while he waited, essentially saying give me the decision quick or fuck off. The Dutch lad was similar,  he had to be strong and assured and have the trust of the players, delays from VAR were incompatible with his refereeing. 

It was the complete opposite of the PL, these guys wouldn't allow someone else re-referee the game. Even last nights Utd game, the penalty wasn't a penalty but they weren't prepared to spend 5 minutes arguing the toss when it wasn't a shocker. Similar with the 2nd goal, it looked like it hit his arm on one angle but head on another, again they didn't  hang around, if there wasn't quick and conclusive proof of an error they moved on. Exactly as it should be.

The complete opposite tonight then in the same competition...

Just get rid of it, I'm sick of it now. 

• Upvote 2

The part in finding impossible to comprehend is how in our winning run to the champions league final and subsequent win in 2019, not once can I remember having to wait for a goal to be given or ruled out because of var, and it was in place from the second round on wasn't it. 

What we have now is not what we where sold. It's a completely different product. 

That ref looked about 25 tonight. Completely out of his depth and mishandled some frankly diabolical 'challenges' by the danes. The time taken by VAR was a joke. 8 minutes added time? Yeah, there were a few subs.

Missed the penalty incident so cannot say if he was offside or not. Their '2nd' a player in the build up from the ball nodded across our box clearly was offside who then stepped off the pitch then came back on behind our keeper and last defender to play the ball again so he's offside.

Taki's goal, VAR just looked for an excuse to disallow that. Someone said it clearly came off Sadio's hand? Well yeah, they just needed to take the best part of 2 minutes to decide it 'clearly' came off his hand.

Yet another shitfest by VAR.

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That ref looked about 25 tonight. Completely out of his depth and mishandled some frankly diabolical 'challenges' by the danes. The time taken by VAR was a joke. 8 minutes added time? Yeah, there were a few subs.

Missed the penalty incident so cannot say if he was offside or not. Their '2nd' a player in the build up from the ball nodded across our box clearly was offside who then stepped off the pitch then came back on behind our keeper and last defender to play the ball again so he's offside.

Taki's goal, VAR just looked for an excuse to disallow that. Someone said it clearly came off Sadio's hand? Well yeah, they just needed to take the best part of 2 minutes to decide it 'clearly' came off his hand.

Yet another shitfest by VAR.

He had lovely hair and eyebrows though. 

• Upvote 1