You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You gonna add to the discussion @No2, or are you gonna keep following me around like a puppy dog?

A neg is part of the conversation, its a simple way of showing I vehemently disagree with the shite you have been posting.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

They can not even get the name right, it is not  assisting any one,  it is a dictatorship. All the goff of when the ball actually leaves a players boot is never exact and that is where it all hinges from the tape count on frame freeze. And hey no two video counters are the same on freeze frame. So all the accuracy the bang on about is not what they claim. 

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

A neg is part of the conversation, its a simple way of showing I vehemently disagree with the shite you have been posting.

Only on here can I be patronized and look like the villain. I'm like the martyr of this forum. Just disagree with me and you think you're right. It's pretty funny. 

All I've said in this thread today before I was told I don't get what football is about, is I don't think the decisions yesterday were crazy and I celebrated Salah's no-goal. Go figure. I really make you losers mad, don't I? Incredible.

• Downvote 2

The Dutch method is infinitely more sensible than the Premier League's farcical system. As others have said, if they need the stupid lines, give the benefit of the doubt. But if they insist on it, at least allow for a margin of error that clearly exists. 

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I celebrated the Salah goal in real time, yesterday. I then saw the replay and knew it would get chalked off, but I still celebrated it when it happened. I think that's a natural reaction.

I didn’t. Not like I used to. I clapped, one single clap.

It wasn’t a choice I made, it wasn’t me thinking “this is tight I’d better not let myself be too invested in it” it is just what has happened to me over the course of the last two years plus.

im not actually bothered the goal was chalked off. It was tight enough that it meets my personal definition of level and pre-var would’ve been 90% likely to be allowed, but possibly flagged off.

but all I can say is that I didn’t celebrate what would’ve been a huge goal the way the first half had been going.

I actually celebrated the mane goal properly, and he was comfortably offside and I’d guess would’ve been called off 90% of the time pre VAR, and it should’ve have stood, but time celebrating that one simply proves my lack of celebration of Mo’s isn’t conscious choice.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, A_S said:

The Dutch method is infinitely more sensible than the Premier League's farcical system. As others have said, if they need the stupid lines, give the benefit of the doubt. But if they insist on it, at least allow for a margin of error that clearly exists. 

I agree a “benefit of the doubt” needs to be reintroduced but I’d say an even simpler way is to always have a line. Just one line. Make it about half the thickness of the painted lines and put it across to denote the last man. 

if you can’t tell from looking at an image of the play which has the aid of a guideline running across it then it’s onside. I’d even settle for it being “linos call” if he:she flagged and it’s too tight to say it’s not.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

So did I. From the naked eye, I don’t think you can tell that’s offside. 

C24DF8FC-8DD4-460F-B178-87667839E971.jpeg

or this...

A303E564-A183-4BF2-A2F8-172C50ADB5A0.jpeg

and this is just the worst decision of all...

B84D3171-0EEE-48C6-BDC0-B6A2E5756D05.jpeg

Level.

level.

clearly onside.

my definitions and the definitions we’ve been happy to live with for decades.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The debate in how it should be used is completely legitimate. People threatening they'll stop watching football after every call they don't agree with and the likes of you that pretend that people can't celebrate anymore and that say that people who aren't straight up disturbed by this supposed loss of emotion don't get football, should probably relax. Sorry.

It’s because of people like you that it’s here at all, frankly.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Only on here can I be patronized and look like the villain. I'm like the martyr of this forum. Just disagree with me and you think you're right. It's pretty funny. 

All I've said in this thread today before I was told I don't get what football is about, is I don't think the decisions yesterday were crazy and I celebrated Salah's no-goal. Go figure. I really make you losers mad, don't I? Incredible.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

10 hours ago, an tha said:

The Mane one is digusting and it still narks me greatly today.

The Dutch League have a brilliant method of dealing with these ridiculously tight margins....it of course is far too sensible for the 'greatest league in the world' to adopt.

how-dutch-eredivisie-handles-var-offside

Such a simple solution, really would solve all the offside bullshit. 

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

...the likes of you that pretend that people can't celebrate

It's not a pretence, fella.

I was on a zoom call in a game where a legit goal was scored. at least 3 people out of six interrupted the others cheering to say "Hold on...let's wait for VAR first."

12 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

Fucking hell. Wolves should have had a pen there as Troare had his foot stood on. Ref didn't give it and Var looked at it and deemed it wasn't clear and obvious so didn't over rule. No different to our one yesterday. 

The fuckers aren't even consistent. Its an utter farce. 

I’d tried to banish all memory of the game, but a I saw a tweet yesterday on the foul on Salah at Villa Park again yesterday. 

The guy clearly got Salah first and then the ball, but that’s not “clear and obvious”. It’s miles more of a penalty than the one we conceded on Saturday.

Fucking hell. Wolves should have had a pen there as Troare had his foot stood on. Ref didn't give it and Var looked at it and deemed it wasn't clear and obvious so didn't over rule. No different to our one yesterday. 

I’d tried to banish all memory of the game, but a I saw a tweet yesterday on the foul on Salah at Villa Park again yesterday. 

The guy clearly got Salah first and then the ball, but that’s not “clear and obvious”. It’s miles more of a penalty than the one we conceded on Saturday.

If we’d had scored that, it would have made it 1-1.

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The debate in how it should be used is completely legitimate. People threatening they'll stop watching football after every call they don't agree with and the likes of you that pretend that people can't celebrate anymore and that say that people who aren't straight up disturbed by this supposed loss of emotion don't get football, should probably relax. Sorry.

I've been saying since we played wba in an fa cup game at anfield when it was being trialled that I didn't like it. Those supporters had an awful season that year and winning away at anfield should have been a joy, but VAR ruined it. It's not this week's result, go through this thread and I've been saying it's destroying the game since the outset. And I will stop watching football. In fact I already have. I watched our game alone this weekend and I could be barely arsed with that. In the past even if I didn't get time to sit down and watch a game properly, I would have the football in the background all weekend. Now I just can't be arsed to turn it on, as I've stopped caring because the game just isn't the same. The fact it doesn't impact your enjoyment, as I said earlier, I feel sorry for you, because you can't have been enjoying the game like I know it can be enjoyed. It sounds to me you enjoy football like I see lots of Americans in bars when I'm there with their sports or how I am with cricket. I love cricket as a sport, but ultimately it doesn't come within a million miles of the emotion football brings out in me. 

8 hours ago, niallers said:

Has there ever been a scenario when the lines for offside have overlapped? The 3 outcomes are on, level (which is on) and off. I don't think I've seen a level decision yet. Seems highly fucking unlikely the corrupt cunts

Because we're now at a point where millimetre is offside, they've effectively taken level out of the game. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, an tha said:

The Mane one is digusting and it still narks me greatly today.

The Dutch League have a brilliant method of dealing with these ridiculously tight margins....it of course is far too sensible for the 'greatest league in the world' to adopt.

how-dutch-eredivisie-handles-var-offside

When we having snivelling dweebs like Mike Riley in charge, we’ll never do something as radical as using common sense and give supporters, you know, what they all pay to see.

More leagues should adopt that rule. The more that adopt it shows the IFAB guidance is wrong and forces a rethink.

Just to be clear, I’m not against VAR. In fact, I’m very supportive of it.

But it should only be used for clearly wrong decisions. Mane on Saturday was a clear example of it correctly disallowing a goal. I have zero issue with that.

Its these bull shit offsides to the millimetre when the technology isn’t 100% accurate & “clear and obvious” which are still subjective dependant on the referees, which I hate. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Only when it’s slowed down and looked at multiple angles does that look like a penalty. 

Which is the point - is it clear and obvious?

Which is the point I made earlier. If they stopped them slowing it down it would achieve 3 things imo.

Firstly it genuinely creates a clear and obvious bar. I would allow them to use multiple angles, that seems reasonable to me, as by using video we're just accepting the ref may not have the best view. 

Secondly, it will also cut down the amount of time it takes them make a decision as they wouldn't be slowing it down over and over again. They just get to see a 3 or 4 angles and then get to see one of them again if required. Then it's done. 

Finally I think we now get situations where the ref or the linesman make no decision because they are aware the VAR is rereferreing the game. I think without this microscopic strutiny from VAR, it forces the onfield officials to start making calls like they used to. So would the lino really have kept his flag down for mane at the weekend? 

That's all before we get into the offisde etcha-sketch fucking nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

The whole point of VAR seems to have been lost recently. If they’re going to use it for 50/50 calls then it needs binning off. It should only be used to fix howlers, which is the definition of a clear and obvious error.

Loads of other sports use the same kind of system but in a much less intrusive way.

I actually think the Robbo incident was a foul so if the ref had given it I’d have no problem but it was a debatable one so I don’t want them interfering with it.

As for the lines in the offside calls; absolute load of shite that. There needs to be a margin of error like in the cricket (Umpires Call etc).

In summary it could be useful but right now it’s fucking shit.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I agree a “benefit of the doubt” needs to be reintroduced but I’d say an even simpler way is to always have a line. Just one line. Make it about half the thickness of the painted lines and put it across to denote the last man. 

if you can’t tell from looking at an image of the play which has the aid of a guideline running across it then it’s onside. I’d even settle for it being “linos call” if he:she flagged and it’s too tight to say it’s not.

Have a line exactly the same width as the lines on the pitch and just like them,touching the line is legitimate under the laws of the game but going over it isnt. And what happened to 'only a body part which can legally score a goal can be deemed offside?' That seemed sensible but didnt last long.