Quantcast
VAR Thoughts? - Page 17 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lee909

VAR Thoughts?

I'm happy with VAR for offside as the decision ought to be clear-cut and VAR mistakes should be rare so on balance we'll see far less game changing errors by the officials.  

Other decisions are judgement calls and VAR mistakes will be commonplace and just lead to more controversy particularly when tackles, handballs etc are viewed in slow-motion and the actions of the defender look far more premeditated than when viewed at normal speed.  

I don’t see how it’s shit if it helps us arrive at the correct outcome in the vast majority of cases. One of the arguments I’ve repeatedly seen that carries the most weight is that it’ll take the drama out of football. Well, last night handily debunks that theory.

It’s not only good, but necessary 

• Upvote 1

The simple fact of the matter is that with VAR, we would be 1 point away from engraving our name on the Premier League trophy.

VAR awards Mane's goal that was incorrectly ruled out for offside at Arsenal. +2 points

VAR sends Kompany off at the Etihad with the scores at 0-0. We get a draw. +1 point for us, -2 for City

VAR gives us a penalty when Keita is scythed down against Leicester at Anfield. +2 points

VAR takes away a goal at West Ham when Milner was offside. We lose instead of drawing. -1 point

All of the above would put us on 95 points and City on 89.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

The simple fact of the matter is that with VAR, we would be 1 point away from engraving our name on the Premier League trophy.

VAR awards Mane's goal that was incorrectly ruled out for offside at Arsenal. +2 points

VAR sends Kompany off at the Etihad with the scores at 0-0. We get a draw. +1 point for us, -2 for City

VAR gives us a penalty when Keita is scythed down against Leicester at Anfield. +2 points

VAR takes away a goal at West Ham when Milner was offside. We lose instead of drawing. -1 point

All very good. But how about the times when we’ve had the benefit of bad calls?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Fuck using VAR for those games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

I included the single occasion when a bad call benefited us.

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

I included the single occasion when a bad call benefited us.

Boly for Wolves handball goal in a draw v City earlier in season? Son should have had a pen in the dying seconds v us when it was 2-1 and we’d bossed the game? City should have had another pen v us when Lovren brought Aguero down in the 1st few minutes at Anfield?  That’s just off the top of my head, no doubt there’s more. 

Its not good to magnify decisions when the Title is so tight, but if you’re gonna magnify decisions, it works both ways. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Boly for Wolves handball goal in a draw v City earlier in season? Son should have had a pen in the dying seconds v us when it was 2-1 and we’d bossed the game? City should have had another pen v us when Lovren brought Aguero down in the 1st few minutes at Anfield?  That’s just off the top of my head, no doubt there’s more. 

Its not good to magnify decisions when the Title is so tight, but if you’re gonna magnify decisions, it works both ways. 

I forgot the Son one. I didn't include marginal decisions. VAR only overturns decisions when it's a clear and obvious error. For instance, I didn't include City's handball against Spurs the other week either.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

From that list above Keita is getting a late penalty, 2 extra points. Son is also getting one at Wembley, as the saying goes they even themselves out.

The rest are subjective either in outcome or overall result, I don't think Anthony Taylor's mate in the VAR room is going against him on the Kompany one even though he should, Maguire at Anfield probably doesn't change either. Mane's at Arsenal made it 1 nil, we went 1 nil up anyway and didn't win so we can't automatically claim 3 points. Same at West Ham, we may well have scored at a different point in the game had we needed to.

So over 36 games it's changed nothing and stopped play 100 times.  For every Man City Spurs finish we will have 5000 irrelevant offside checks when we're 3 up at home to Huddersfield. 

Giving keepers a hurry up when taking goal/free kicks would instantly save enough time for 2-3 VAR checks without breaking sweat.

Why refs only wait until 80+ minutes to start giving warnings, when it's obviously been happening since the 1st minute, I'll never know. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, A_S said:

Giving keepers a hurry up when taking goal/free kicks would instantly save enough time for 2-3 VAR checks without breaking sweat.

Why refs only wait until 80+ minutes to start giving warnings, when it's obviously been happening since the 1st minute, I'll never know. 

Accoring to the rules if a keeper holds on to the ball for more than 6 seconds before releasing it, the other team gets an indirect free kick. It never happens though!

It surprises me the crowd never seem to help the ref with the seconds count shouting "one - two - three" etc When the count goes up to eight we'd either get a free kick or the keeper would at least be stressed.

15 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Accoring to the rules if a keeper holds on to the ball for more than 6 seconds before releasing it, the other team gets an indirect free kick. It never happens though!

It surprises me the crowd never seem to help the ref with the seconds count shouting "one - two - three" etc When the count goes up to eight we'd either get a free kick or the keeper would at least be stressed.

It was another of FIFA's pre season projects that die out very quickly. Remember the 'grappling in the penalty area' directive? That was another that bit the dust after a referee correctly gave two or three penalties in an early season game.

I have one question, why for goal line technology do we actually only get a mocked up image and not the real picture?

I say this as I'm aware some Liverpool fans that thought the Liverpool City goal at Eithad should have stood, but also the goal at weekend for City, some actual non Liverpool mates mentioned that what they weren't convinced Burnley scored! All a bit weird, beep in pocket, image pops up and all moves on!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It was another of FIFA's pre season projects that die out very quickly. Remember the 'grappling in the penalty area' directive? That was another that bit the dust after a referee correctly gave two or three penalties in an early season game.

Yes, remember that. Still the 6 sec rule applies. No reason not to help the ref with the seconds count is it? When the crowd goes "seven!" ref does nothing ... crowd goes "eight!" ref does nothing? Both ref and the keeper must feel the pressure. Would he have balls enough to hear "nine!" and still do nothing? I feel pretty sure it would help, either we get the free kick we're supposed to have or the keeper releases the ball before he wants to.

10 hours ago, A_S said:

The reason they let it go is refs are happy to have a breather or allow the game cool down. Inside their muttering take your time son.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

I have one question, why for goal line technology do we actually only get a mocked up image and not the real picture?

I say this as I'm aware some Liverpool fans that thought the Liverpool City goal at Eithad should have stood, but also the goal at weekend for City, some actual non Liverpool mates mentioned that what they weren't convinced Burnley scored! All a bit weird, beep in pocket, image pops up and all moves on!

Let it go mate, one was a goal, one wasn't. There's nothing weird about it. It's the way it is. 

3 hours ago, JustTosh said:

I remember Suarez used to count to the ref when the keeper was holding the ball.

Never got a free kick mind