You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

On 12/04/2019 at 18:10, TheHowieLama said:

It is not just how good the officials are - they have to keep up with the game which is faster than ever from end to end to have a chance.

Every major sport has added additional referees on the field of play in the last couple decades. And all of them but hockey already had more than one.

I think the game's governing bodies need to simplify the offside and handball rules as both are too complicated and applied inconsistently. The game is so quick these days that the officials are having to factor in too many things in a short space of time, and having to make judgment calls. Get rid of the judgement call aspects completely. Doing so will make VAR look more effective too.

For offsides, I'd get rid of the first phase-second phase crap, and also get rid of the if-the-defender-deliberately-played-the-ball rule.

For handball, I think it's best to penalise every incident where the ball makes contact with an outfield player's hand, whether deliberate or not. It might sound harsh as sometimes it's impossible to get your arm out of the way in time, and it will probably lead to a lot more penalty incidents initally, but again it takes the judgement call aspect out of the equation.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I think the game's governing bodies need to simplify the offside and handball rules as both are too complicated and applied inconsistently. The game is so quick these days that the officials are having to factor in too many things in a short space of time, and having to make judgment calls. Get rid of the judgement call aspects completely. Doing so will make VAR look more effective too.

For offsides, I'd get rid of the first phase-second phase crap, and also get rid of the if-the-defender-deliberately-played-the-ball rule.

For handball, I think it's best to penalise every incident where the ball makes contact with an outfield player's hand, whether deliberate or not. It might sound harsh as sometimes it's impossible to get your arm out of the way in time, and it will probably lead to a lot more penalty incidents initally, but again it takes the judgement call aspect out of the equation.

Agree with the general idea that it is the rules rather than VAR which are the main issue and your view on offsides , but not a fan of the handball idea - think there has to be an element of deliberateness involved to get a penalty or every time a winger is taking the ball towards a defender he could just belt the ball towards him at waist height & get a penalty in about 25% of cases.

10 minutes ago, Trumo said:

This is the simple way to implement VAR with minimal chance of error. I would also add penalising players for grabbing an opposition player too.

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah don't agree with the handball bit. Should just be if the hand is in a unnatural position or stops a shot on goal Deliberate or not

Trouble is, no-one has been able to define what an unnatural position is, so it stands to reason that a referee making a judgement call in a split-second is going to be very inconsistent in that judgement. Somehow that judgement aspect has to be taken away. I'm not in any way saying my suggestion is the way forward but it is certainly simplifying the process. Goodness knows the process needs simplifying.

Saying train refs better just won't work. We've had 150 years of refs getting too much stuff wrong, so it's lazy and easy for a partisan fan to just call them rubbish. Professionalism was supposed to make them better, but did it? 

Now for VAR, I am very pro VAR as its equivalents have improved every other sport it's been implemented in. It's just that it has been implemented very poorly in football. We've had over 40 fucking years of instant replays to know if the ref got it wrong within 10 seconds. There is absolutely no need for it to take longer than 30 seconds. 30 seconds should be enough for a video ref to see 3+ different angles of any incident and overrule any clearly bad decisions while play still goes on. 

• Upvote 2

Part of the problem may be the refs over-analyzing the incident because they no longer have an excuse for getting it wrong. Maybe they should just show the incident three times ar normal speed from different angles and not use slo-mo.  

As Remmie says , if the decision is not clearly an error after 30 seconds and 3 or 4 angles it doesn't fit the VAR remit and we should move on. Also get rid of the tv for the ref by the dugout , can't trust them to not be covering their arse so VAR ref makes the decisions.

What I don't like is when they refer to VAR and the ref consults with the VAR officials via his earpiece, talks for a long time and then goes over to check for himself on the screen. I feel the protocol should be for the ref to come over and check regardless while also conferring with the VAR officials. It would speed up the process considerably. The time currently being taken over decisions is just one of the reasons a lot of people don't like VAR.

VAR is still wank. But at least on this occasion it was also funny.

i watched our game but kept an eye on the other match on my phone on bbc text updates, but when ours finished I started playing the 5-live coverage through the site and the celebrations were just about to be cut short with a “hold on, it looks like they’re reviewing it...”

And when it was disallowed I chuckled heartily. Having seen the highlights now on by sapper YouTube channel, I damn near pissed myself...

but...

but...

no players complained, and it was so tight that until VAR was introduced it almost certainly wouldn’t have been an issue for discussion. It would’ve gone unnoticed. It wasn’t egregious.

VAR is still shit.

53 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

VAR is still wank. But at least on this occasion it was also funny.

i watched our game but kept an eye on the other match on my phone on bbc text updates, but when ours finished I started playing the 5-live coverage through the site and the celebrations were just about to be cut short with a “hold on, it looks like they’re reviewing it...”

And when it was disallowed I chuckled heartily. Having seen the highlights now on by sapper YouTube channel, I damn near pissed myself...

but...

but...

no players complained, and it was so tight that until VAR was introduced it almost certainly wouldn’t have been an issue for discussion. It would’ve gone unnoticed. It wasn’t egregious.

VAR is still shit.

It was offside, simple as that. Everything else is just noise.

• Upvote 2