You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

28 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

So, some decisions that were earlier ruled marginally offside will now be onside and onside decisions be made

when a player in fact is marginally off. Eureka!

What about letting the lino makle the decision and intervene only if it's so wrong everybody can see it withe the naked eye?

Sorry, but that post makes no sense.

So, we’re happy allowing onside goals being given as onside.

We’re unhappy some marginal offside goals might be be given - which is the complete opposite of the position we’re in at the moment and everybody complains about.

But we should allow stuff unless the naked eye says otherwise, which is closer to what VAR is moving to?

With the naked eye calls, you’ll still get some gobshite wrong decisions. I think the thicker lines is the best scenario. 

32 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Sorry, but that post makes no sense.

So, we’re happy allowing onside goals being given as onside.

We’re unhappy some marginal offside goals might be be given - which is the complete opposite of the position we’re in at the moment and everybody complains about.

But we should allow stuff unless the naked eye says otherwise, which is closer to what VAR is moving to?

With the naked eye calls, you’ll still get some gobshite wrong decisions. I think the thicker lines is the best scenario. 

I'm just saying: Let the lino do his job and strick with his decision.

Unfortunately, via VAR, FIFA and the IFAB have introduced the notion of offside by measurement, backed up by the lines rather than by sight. Doesnt matter what they do now with thicker lines etc, a player still risks being deemed offside by millimeters.

Offside will still be like those photo finishes used in the Olympics 100m. That part of your body \ torso \ foot that is a millimeter the wrong side of the thicker line and you're still off.

They're just tinkering around the edges. They need to re define what offside is under VAR, is it the whole body, the upper body, feet, what? Players arent statues, they move in different directions, are different shapes and are 3d objects. Trying to determine offside via 2d cameras causes it's own problems.

Until they address these issues and no doubt others I cant think off, we'll just have fudges and as many shite offside decisions as before, in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Unfortunately, via VAR, FIFA and the IFAB have introduced the notion of offside by measurement, backed up by the lines rather than by sight. Doesnt matter what they do now with thicker lines etc, a player still risks being deemed offside by millimeters.

Offside will still be like those photo finishes used in the Olympics 100m. That part of your body \ torso \ foot that is a millimeter the wrong side of the thicker line and you're still off.

They're just tinkering around the edges. They need to re define what offside is under VAR, is it the whole body, the upper body, feet, what? Players arent statues, they move in different directions, are different shapes and are 3d objects. Trying to determine offside via 2d cameras causes it's own problems.

Until they address these issues and no doubt others I cant think off, we'll just have fudges and as many shite offside decisions as before, in my opinion.

Totally agree with that.

If VAR could be used as an aid to the lino, i.e. he's off pace and 10 yards from where he should be to judge an offside or not, he could ask VAR to help him.

If a lino decides it's offside but he i.e misses a player who makes the attacker 5 yards onside or some other blatant error, VAR can intervene.

In other situations with the lino having a good virew just stick with his decision.

To me this is the only way VAR could improve the game.

25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The point is, if the lines are thicker and there is more margin of error / benefit to the attacker, then there should be less of these calls and less debate around them. 

I don’t know how it looks in practise, I know the CL & EL use this method, anything that goes down to the mm likely should have been flagged anyway.

It’s also a quicker process in the CL & EL.

I be agree with feet, head, nipple etc. 

The theory behind this change is sound enough. I would like to see how it would have impacted some historical calls though.

If solves Mane at Woodison or Salah at Brighton, or at least makes it more definitive, then no problems. Otherwise it solves nothing. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

AD99DA29-614F-4FB7-8B0F-87CAC96E3515.jpeg

I can live with this as long as the Lino's making the decision. If he's marginally wrong his decision still stands.

If, however, VAR intereupts when it's called offside and VAR proves the lines are touching, we're pretty much at the same spot we are now.

11 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

.If, however, VAR intereupts when it's called offside and VAR proves the lines are touching, we're pretty much at the same spot we are now.

So the linesman flags for offside, VAR says the lines are touching (so onside) then a goal is given. 

Given nobody thinks the technology is 100% accurate, isn’t that what people want?

Or, are you proposing if it’s flagged offside, the lines are touching but the attackers line is ahead of the defenders line, then the goal should still be disallowed?

You should only ever be offside by your feet anything else is pure dickheadness and I'm literally fuming now just thinking about it. Who are the bellends sat around the tables sending emails coming up with this shit! every fan should know their faces. You make decisions with leeway you can shape games, VAR should rule out inconsistency instead its made more of them and they are even more unpalatable. I detest it.

• Upvote 1

On 11/06/2021 at 11:32, Bobby Hundreds said:

You should only ever be offside by your feet anything else is pure dickheadness and I'm literally fuming now just thinking about it. Who are the bellends sat around the tables sending emails coming up with this shit! every fan should know their faces. You make decisions with leeway you can shape games, VAR should rule out inconsistency instead its made more of them and they are even more unpalatable. I detest it.

This is the solution, right here.

Make it so nothing above the knee is offside. Solves all these ridiculous armpit offsides, just compare the attacker's feet/knees to the defender's feet/knees. You can use a precise line - what makes people angry is the crazy lines drawn up to someone's backside against someone else's armpit who's leaning a bit.

14 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Var in the Euro's seems so much better than the Premier League version.

I've thought for a long time that the biggest problem with it is the way it's being used in England, this seems to confirm it?

tenor (14) (18).gif

25 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I've thought for a long time that the biggest problem with it is the way it's being used in England, this seems to confirm it?

Been making the same point in the Euro’s thread. Hugely better.

There's also A LOT more money involved in the Premier league. A decision that takes 5 mins to get right is far more valuable to the bottom clubs whose stay in the division could be dependant on it. Look at villa 2 seasons back when the ball crossed the line and a goal wasn't given. I know it was goal line tech at fault that day, but had var decided to look at it, that extra 2mins would've relegated villa and saved Bournemouth. Look at them now! The club chairmen don't give a fuck if we can't celebrate if it keeps the money rolling in

16 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think it's just being used a bit less. It still completely ruins the enjoyment of a goal when they go away & check it.

The less it is used, the better it is for the game so it should simply be scrapped & consigned to the dustbin of history.