You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

42 minutes ago, dave u said:

The only reason were stuck with it is because the clubs, manager, players haven't gotten together and said fuck it off. None of them want it, they've all spoken out against it, but they haven't done anything about it.

If they stuck together and said get rid or we won't play, it would be gone in a heartbeat.

It will be gone as soon as Sky see a reduction in subscribers and not before. 

1 hour ago, aws said:

We should put forward a formal proposal to the other Prem clubs that it should definitely be kept just as it is. Nothing would be more effective in uniting them to ditch it. 

tumblr_o5fvfh3kQu1vos1ddo1_400.gif.c865690f1e35aeee4396bc6e012fafe2.gif

On 04/06/2021 at 09:48, LFC 6 Times said:

The most simple and effective change to the whole system would be if the player in the build up to a goal is now visibly off by the naked eye then the goal should stand. They’ve backed themselves into the corner with this bollix that offside is a “matter of fact.” The technology i.e. the frame rate and triggering when the ball has been played is simply not good enough.

I know what you mean but kind of negates the use of VAR  doesnt it? There's very few times a player who is visibly flagged for offside when they are onside, Id say.

I was in the camp of wanting 'marginal' offsides in games looked at. Im the first to admit I didnt see the can of worms that would open by the definition of 'marginal' although to be fair neither did the IFAB or FIFA.

On 04/06/2021 at 09:50, VladimirIlyich said:

I dont even care about 'frame rate' I just want a situation judged by the officials on the pitch and not some shed near London.

This. I was under the impression VAR was to let the ref see any contentious offsides on the pitch side monitor and he make the decision.

The VAR officials as I understood things was just to point out to the ref the lino or he might want to look at the decision again and not them deciding it. We seem miles away from the interpretation of what VAR should be doing ie suggesting the match officials look again rather than VAR doing the deciding.

2 hours ago, dave u said:

The only reason were stuck with it is because the clubs, manager, players haven't gotten together and said fuck it off. None of them want it, they've all spoken out against it, but they haven't done anything about it.

If they stuck together and said get rid or we won't play, it would be gone in a heartbeat.

I hate to use the expression but the 'big 6' will get fuck all out of the other PL clubs for the next 4 or 5 years, I reckon what with them preening themselves over the collapse of the Euro League.

Until the other 14 clubs get seriously and regularly fucked over by VAR, they will be happy to see the 6 clubs shafted so long as they're shafted more than their own club.

• Upvote 1

Deffo - I am amazed the PL isn't doing something. The Refs Assoc. is fucking ruining their product.

Supporters can get rid of it by cancelling subscriptions & boycotting games.

The problem is, too many people either aren't militant enough or are happy to go with the flow, regardless of how shite it is.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

I don't think it's quite that easy. It would need all the major leagues in Europe to come together and stand against it. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Supporters can get rid of it by cancelling subscriptions & boycotting games.

The problem is, too many people either aren't militant enough or are happy to go with the flow, regardless of how shite it is.

The thing is it's a numbers game.  I don't think the casual viewer is that arsed and there are millions of sky subscribers who aren't passionate enough about it. Football/F1/cricket/rugby whatever is just something they put on the background and have no more than a passing interest. Obviously if all passionate football fans stopped it would make a difference, but you're never going to get it all. 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

No, I'm not having that. We need less var, not more of the shit. 

That's my point. If you can't use it for each decision then you have to admit the tech isn't right for that purpose.

The chimps spend too long forensically trying to find ways to rule goals out.

The tech. could be used for the ref to decide when he wants to double check one of his decsisions - pop over to the pitch side cam and see if it was what he thought it was.

Stop using it for offsides.

I'm fuming about how it has spoilt live football.  

• Upvote 3

On 05/06/2021 at 14:32, Jennings said:

That's my point. If you can't use it for each decision then you have to admit the tech isn't right for that purpose.

The chimps spend too long forensically trying to find ways to rule goals out.

The tech. could be used for the ref to decide when he wants to double check one of his decsisions - pop over to the pitch side cam and see if it was what he thought it was.

Stop using it for offsides.

I'm fuming about how it has spoilt live football.  

Nah, I dont think VAR has to be a case of all or nothing. VAR should rightly be confined to dubious offsides, penalty decisions for or against and potential red cards.

This nonesense that every goal in the PL has to be reviewed by VAR is utter shite and needs doing away with. It's nonesense like this and VAR seemingly being the final arbiter that riley introduced that needs to be done away with.

I dont think most fans have a problem with VAR looking at contenious penalty decisions. They do, rightly, have problems with millimeter offside.

If they can find an acceptable solution for the millimeter offside, cut down the time taken reviewing decisions and the on pitch ref making the final decision, I think that would go a long way to restoring most people's acceptance of VAR.

3 minutes ago, TheRedMachine said:

Either sack it off completely or make the offside lines feet and be done with it. This drawing lines from armpits is beyond ridiculous.

Although I agree about armpits and what not being offside, I don’t think feet to the mm is right either. 

Hopefully any offsides that go to the lines in future are certainly “clearer” and likely should have been flagged in the first place.

27 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Won't two thick lines still give the same result? Or is it a joke? It's hard to tell with these inept control freaks.

Yeah the defenders line would have to be thicker than the attackers for it to work and give advantage to attacker. 

Unless they are planning on making being "level" onside again where two lines are touching. 

That happened plenty of times though last year and they still disallowed 

2 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Thin lines or thick ones, there are still going to be borderline decitions to make. FA on it's way to set a new world record in incompetence. Same shit, new wrapping, that's what this is.

Yes, there will still be boarder line decisions but, in theory anyway, there should be fewer and less contentious.

Its a step in the right direction, IMO.

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Won't two thick lines still give the same result? Or is it a joke? It's hard to tell with these inept control freaks.

If the 2 thicker lines are overlapping = onside. 

If the attackers line is ahead of the defenders line with no overlap = offside. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If the 2 thicker lines are overlapping = onside. 

If the attackers line is ahead of the defenders line with no overlap = offside. 

So, some decisions that were earlier ruled marginally offside will now be onside and onside decisions be made

when a player in fact is marginally off. Eureka!

What about letting the lino makle the decision and intervene only if it's so wrong everybody can see it withe the naked eye?

Here's another VAR problem.

A defender makes a reckless challenge in the box, the attacking player instinctively let's hit feet go and avoids being crippled. In real time a stone wall pen. In slow motion there's no contact and a dive.