You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Well, I cared we scored an away goal against Real Madrid, very much so.

We also need to get used to the fact it’s here to stay in some way shape or form, so we should all be focusing on solutions to make the situation better.

The thing about VAR is it isn’t some evil woke computer system like HAL9000 or Ultron or Skynet that people make it out to be. It still requires human application, and that’s the issue, especially in the Premiership, when professional dweeb Mike Riley and his merry band of virgins think they know better than other associations application of the rules - see the monitor thing last season.

It’s obviously far, far from perfect, the way it is used needs amending and rules need updating reflect the technology and spirit of the game. IMO it’s fixable but I do agree that if they don’t do it quickly, a proper backlash might start next season, even as far as walk outs etc.

Bollox, bollox and more bollox.

How have they managed to get it spot on in the super league for over 20 years yet royally fucked this right up in football? I think the VAR officials are all corrupt manc cunts out to make a name for themselves. They always seem to do anything they can to rule out goals out. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

Why don't you give an explanation of why it should stay?

Because it being tailored to the rules / spirit of the game more (ie relaxation on offsides) and a better standard of officiating in general, it can be beneficial.

The three main talking points from the weekend - Wolves' goal at Fulham, Firmino's goal v Villa, McTominay's red card.

Relaxation of offside = offside or something similar to ensure the benefit goes back to the attackers, fixes the first two.

Having officials who aren't completely useless jobsworths fixes the other.

I think it's easily, significantly, improvable. My frustration is why it's not been done already.

Even if they use AI to determine VAR offside decisions, it will not eradicate the millimetre offside calls. It will still use the same fuzzy pictures unless they introduce HD cameras. It will still measure to the millimeter as determined by the programming.

Goal line Technology was said to be infallible. Until that Villa game where GLT couldnt 'see' the ball so didnt award a goal when the ball was at least a full diameter over the line.

I was in favour of VAR. It was supposed to have been trialled in numerous minor games. It seems incredullous to me that not a single millimeter offside cropped up in the trails.

FIFA want or wanted more goals in games yet the technology of VAR is resulting in more goals being chalked off compared to if just using the ref \ lino's eyes.

VAR doesnt and cannot 'give benefit of doubt' to an attacker like a human can especially when it compares the position of one player's extremities against another's.

So you say OK, VAR \ AI determines the attacker is onside unless the margin is, say, 50mm. 50mm onside, 51mm offside, you're still talking about a millimeter!

Apart from scrapping it, I dont know what the answer is. But, I can think of plenty of arguments for not keeping it.

Edited by dockers_strike
re wrote 'not keeping it'

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Well, I cared we scored an away goal against Real Madrid, very much so.

We also need to get used to the fact it’s here to stay in some way shape or form, so we should all be focusing on solutions to make the situation better.

The thing about VAR is it isn’t some evil woke computer system like HAL9000 or Ultron or Skynet that people make it out to be. It still requires human application, and that’s the issue, especially in the Premiership, when professional dweeb Mike Riley and his merry band of virgins think they know better than other associations application of the rules - see the monitor thing last season.

It’s obviously far, far from perfect, the way it is used needs amending and rules need updating reflect the technology and spirit of the game. IMO it’s fixable but I do agree that if they don’t do it quickly, a proper backlash might start next season, even as far as walk outs etc.

1. We do not need to get used to the fact it is here to stay, people can do something about it by boycotting games & cancelling TV subscriptions.

2. If VAR remains, the goal celebration issue is not 'fixable'. That moment of elation is gone forever. The introduction of VAR was a disaster for Football & it's continued use will ensure that the sport is never the same again.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Even if they use AI to determine VAR offside decisions, it will not eradicate the millimetre offside calls. It will still use the same fuzzy pictures unless they introduce HD cameras. It will still measure to the millimeter as determined by the programming.

Goal line Technology was said to be infallible. Until that Villa game where GLT couldnt 'see' the ball so didnt award a goal when the ball was at least a full diameter over the line.

I was in favour of VAR. It was supposed to have been trialled in numerous minor games. It seems incredullous to me that not a single millimeter offside cropped up in the trails.

FIFA want or wanted more goals in games yet the technology of VAR is resulting in more goals being chalked off compared to if just using the ref \ lino's eyes.

VAR doesnt and cannot 'give benefit of doubt' to an attacker like a human can especially when it compares the position of one player's extremities against another's.

So you say OK, VAR \ AI determines the attacker is onside unless the margin is, say, 50mm. 50mm onside, 51mm offside, you're still talking about a millimeter!

Apart from scrapping it, I dont know what the answer is. But, I can think of plenty of arguments for not keeping it.

I get that, but if you build in a tolerance / benefit to attackers (ie thicker defender lines or whatever) then you are then saying past that is undoubtedly offside and should have been spotted by the official.

The less of these issues and the more goals that are scored, the less frustrating it is when they are given because it should be 100% indisputable that the player is offside.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

1. We do not need to get used to the fact it is here to stay, people can do something about it by boycotting games & cancelling TV subscriptions.

2. If VAR remains, the goal celebration issue is not 'fixable'. That moment of elation is gone forever. The introduction of VAR was a disaster for Football & it's continued use will ensure that the sport is never the same again.

1) Not being funny or that, but which of these have you done?

2) Allowing more goals and less shitty disallowances builds confidence on what is decided is right and if something is eventually chalked off, then it should have been done so anyway.

Just now, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Allow all goals without VAR involvement. Allow each team one VAR appeal each half if they think the officials got it wrong.

Sack Mike Riley

I definitely agree with this. He’s always been utterly shite.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

1) Not being funny or that, but which of these have you done?

2) Allowing more goals and less shitty disallowances builds confidence on what is decided is right and if something is eventually chalked off, then it should have been done so anyway.

I have not been to a game since the introduction of VAR & I won't be back as long as it is there. I doubt some Scottish bloke who goes to five or six games a season will make much difference unfortunately. I do not subscribe to Sky Sports.

Just get fucking rid of it & we can go back to proper goal celebrations again, it's that simple.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Because it being tailored to the rules / spirit of the game more (ie relaxation on offsides) and a better standard of officiating in general, it can be beneficial.

The three main talking points from the weekend - Wolves' goal at Fulham, Firmino's goal v Villa, McTominay's red card.

Relaxation of offside = offside or something similar to ensure the benefit goes back to the attackers, fixes the first two.

Having officials who aren't completely useless jobsworths fixes the other.

I think it's easily, significantly, improvable. My frustration is why it's not been done already.

I'll add in the offside call for Trezequet shot off the post. 4 really tight decisions this weekend and VAR wasn't needed for any of them, the on-field refs/linemen got all 4 right. They're involvement wasn't needed yet they butted in like an unwelcome cunt from work and ruined the mood. Its what they do.

How many really big misses has VAR corrected in 2 years? By big I mean Raheem Sterling against City or Henchoz against Arsenal in the FA Cup? That is what the out cries where for, it wasn't for this. Those that wanted the wrongs righted have mostly accepted they prefer mistakes to this shit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I'm reasonably confident that once fans are back in the stadium there will at least be some pressure to fuck it off soon after.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I'll add in the offside call for Trezequet shot off the post. 4 really tight decisions this weekend and VAR wasn't needed for any of them, the on-field refs/linemen got all 4 right. They're involvement wasn't needed yet they butted in like an unwelcome cunt from work and ruined the mood. Its what they do.

How many really big misses has VAR corrected in 2 years? By big I mean Raheem Sterling against City or Henchoz against Arsenal in the FA Cup? That is what the out cries where for, it wasn't for this. Those that wanted the wrongs righted have mostly accepted they prefer mistakes to this shit.

So, you look to mostly agree with my first point on offsides?

I agree on the 2nd part. Nothing about McTominay was clear and obvious and the examples you’ve brought up there are the types it should be used for. 

1 hour ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

VAR. Limit their involvement to that only. What we have to endure now, but less of it

And you expect the people who made the original decision you disagreed with will correct their mistake reviewing the same information? Surely you've come across enough in life to know that never works out?

23 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Absolute basic for me is an offside line should be drawn from the feet when the technology is precise enough to use.

I've been thinking about it and this is exactly where I am now. They need to amend the offside rule so it means exactly what we call it colloquially - stood in an offside position. So no more arguments about whether the attacker's shoulder was beyond the defender's ear, you measure it boot to boot.

26 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

And you expect the people who made the original decision you disagreed with will correct their mistake reviewing the same information? Surely you've come across enough in life to know that never works out?

You missed the bit about sack Mike Riley!

Appoint the Superleague or cricket adjudicators, or just any honest ref to oversee it. If it still sucks, try something else or scrap it. As Stronts and others say - measure boot to boot, and take away room for VAR officials, like Coote, to manoeuvre their bias into outcomes.

Assuming it's here to stay then let the linos flag but play goes on as now. If the ball goes in the net then the VAR official watches it in real time no more than twice with no fucking lines. Unless it's blindingly obvious the lino has fucked up then his decision stands. 

More controversy in WBA v Southampton. 

WBA score. Lino flags. Video referee makes a mess off it and agrees with the lino when it probably should have stood.

Again, not HAL9000 / VAR9000 with devious intentions, inept officiating. 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

This.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

I disagree.  VAR can remain and only be used in the very rare circumstances it's useful.   Goal-line technology doesn't get in the way of goal celebrations and there's no inherent reason why VAR should (provided it's not operated by twats).