You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I still watch all of our games, some live some pretend-live due to the time difference, but my enjoyment of the game has dropped massively... mainly due to VAR, I really dislike the suspended relief I now get when a goal is confirmed, as opposed to the pure climactic joy I used to feel when the ball hits the back of the net. The other reason for me is having tasted the real thing, it’s really not the same following the game from 10k miles away, even discounting the privilege of being able to go the game. I miss the pub chat after the game, I miss being able to celebrate/savour three points with pints at my local (CL footy starts at 5am or 7am depending on daylights savings). Maybe it’s because the memory is full fresh, and it will get better as I get more used to being here.

You'll get used to it, but it's not nearly as good.

Also when we're good and challenging for stuff it basically ruins you for being good at the rest of your life.  Staying up to watch matches until 4 am or getting up to watch matches at 5 am, or skiving off the start of work because there's a champions league game on.  You'd just be in a football induced daze for a few months.

• Upvote 1

This will likely be the last year I watch every game. The fun has been going out of it for a long time and I've know seen us win the league and been old enough to enjoy it. But this shit and the whole twitter banter, wind up bollocks has killed off any lingering love for the game. 

I'll watch on and off and stream the odd game from time to time but that'll probably be it. 

Sport as a whole has been turned into a greedy shit show. A place for regimes and dodgy businessmen to flex muscles and sportswash their image. 

• Upvote 2

I've missed loads of games this year. The euphoria has gone, even last year when it came back was the same. 

Remember going mental at Stamford Bridge when Mereiles scored, the relief when stevie hit that worldie in Cardiff,  countless others which seem like nostalgia now. Those moments are gone. You'll notice it when the crowds are back, celebrations won't won't as wild or as loud because of the prospect of VAR. 

When is a goal not a goal? When a Virgin draws a wonky vertical line 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Ha.

I am generally in favour of it but it’s absolutely needs to change.

Scott, as long as this abomination remains in our game, your picture in your Avatar will be the last time you celebrate like that.

Personally I think a boycott is required when supporters are allowed back in but I can't see it happening on a large enough scale.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Mook said:

Scott, as long as this abomination remains in our game, your picture in your Avatar will be the last time you celebrate like that.

Personally I think a boycott is required when supporters are allowed back in but I can't see it happening on a large enough scale.

It certainly needs to change.

The idea of video replays to spot obvious errors is a fine. It’s the dipshits using it making a mess of it.

How can 2 professional referees think that was a foul by McTominay yesterday? Unbelievable.

As others have said, it works far better in the CL.

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The idea of video replays to spot obvious errors is a fine. It’s the dipshits using it making a mess of it.

How can 2 professional referees think that was a foul by McTominay yesterday? Unbelievable.

Trial it properly in the Championship or Ligue 1, only when it’s working properly do I want to see it in the PL or CL. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don't watch any Champions League stuff other than our games but they took about a minute to give a perfectly good goal for us the other night & by the time they gave it, I was almost past caring.

It doesn't belong in Football. At all.

Goal line technology, fine but this shite needs fucked off back to wherever it came from ASAP.

• Upvote 5

I find the offsides the most baffling.

Basically it is 'play-on', unless you score.

Wait...what? All other outcomes after a 'definite' offside are allowed?

That's fucking bonkers!!

For offsides, the tech is disproportionately (almost exclusively) used to cancel a goal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I find the offsides the most baffling.

Basically it is 'play-on', unless you score.

Wait...what? All other outcomes after a 'definite' offside are allowed?

That's fucking bonkers!!

For offsides, the tech is disproportionately (almost exclusively) used to cancel a goal.

Yeah,even more cobblers used to justify using it.

I can't get too worked up about the McTominay situation yesterday, not just because it was Manure on the shitty end of the stick for once. He deliberately flicked an arm backwards in the direction of Son's head and showed intent to commit a foul. Whether or not he made contact is debatable but thats not the point. It was reckless and illegal.

Son rolling about was despicable and I prefer it when the cunt bursts into tears rather pretends to be hurt.

More bookings for play acting required and one thing that really pisses me off is delaying the restart . Standing over the ball or keeping hold of it when the oppo have a FK should be a yellow card. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/04/2021 at 11:51, Shooter in the Motor said:

Absolutely spot on, there should be a maximum time limit and only be able to focus on one passage of play. To spend ages working out if there was a touch by a player and finding out there wasn't, they shouldn't then be able to look at another passage. Clear an obvious errors should not come down to trying to work out if three events in a row should all contribute to a decision. It was a farce and I actually stopped watching and only listened to the commentary from another room. I heard we equalised in the second half and waited until I heard kick off again before I started watching again.

You are assuming they're trying to give honest decisions. I don't think they are. So if we give them a time limit, they'll just make bad decisions more quickly. Offside is subjective, so if we take away the lines, they'll just give wrong decisions on their "reaction". Which will allow them to do what the fuck they like and blame the camera angle or something. We're now in the hands of either the lino or the the VAR making bad calls against us. I'd sooner just put it back in the linos hands. 

its quite simple there has to be a clear and obvious gap between the red and blue lines they lay out on the VAR if not the player is onside. Nobody has a advantage when there is a gnats bollock in it and it kills the game when they take 4 minutes to decide the outcome

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You are assuming they're trying to give honest decisions. I don't think they are. So if we give them a time limit, they'll just make bad decisions more quickly. Offside is subjective, so if we take away the lines, they'll just give wrong decisions on their "reaction". Which will allow them to do what the fuck they like and blame the camera angle or something. We're now in the hands of either the lino or the the VAR making bad calls against us. I'd sooner just put it back in the linos hands. 

This.

And now with Var they feel they can claim that it's no longer subjective and is somehow definitive to the nth degree (Dopey Demot's comments on Sky today) when we all know the technology is flawed and the implementation even more so.

They need to go back to basics and ask themselves why the offside rule is there in the first place, what are we trying to achieve - and the answer is most definitely not 'to kill the excitement and spectacle and disallow as many goals as possible for spurious reasons'. Beyond their wit to even think in those terms though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mook said:

I don't watch any Champions League stuff other than our games but they took about a minute to give a perfectly good goal for us the other night & by the time they gave it, I was almost past caring.

It doesn't belong in Football. At all.

Goal line technology, fine but this shite needs fucked off back to wherever it came from ASAP.

Well, I cared we scored an away goal against Real Madrid, very much so.

We also need to get used to the fact it’s here to stay in some way shape or form, so we should all be focusing on solutions to make the situation better.

The thing about VAR is it isn’t some evil woke computer system like HAL9000 or Ultron or Skynet that people make it out to be. It still requires human application, and that’s the issue, especially in the Premiership, when professional dweeb Mike Riley and his merry band of virgins think they know better than other associations application of the rules - see the monitor thing last season.

It’s obviously far, far from perfect, the way it is used needs amending and rules need updating reflect the technology and spirit of the game. IMO it’s fixable but I do agree that if they don’t do it quickly, a proper backlash might start next season, even as far as walk outs etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1