You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

1 hour ago, J-V said:

If they’re that desperate to draw lines just do it to feet not this armpit/sleeve bollocks.

Sometimes they measure the outside of the sleeve, sometimes inside.  You can't score with that part of the body no matter what they say, a ball comes in and I whack it in with the back of my arm it gets disallowed. The thin line shows the player is on they then introduce two thicker lines and manipulate until they can call it off. Is the angle of the line they draw across the pitch millimetre by millimetre perfectly parallel to the byline. Millimetres involved when checking the players when the ball is already a foot away from the player who struck it. Its being used the manipulate results even if its just through bias.

• Upvote 1

MOTD having a pop at the offsides last night, so hopefully the worm is starting to turn.

It was sold as stopping very obvious mistakes, such as Sterling against Man City. It should check every goal but if on first look it is not clear either way, they go with the on field decision. Should take approx 12 seconds and done.

Just because the technology means you zoom and draw lines doesn't mean you too. It is exactly like George Lucas and the Star Wars prequals.

41 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Sometimes they measure the outside of the sleeve, sometimes inside.  You can't score with that part of the body no matter what they say, a ball comes in and I whack it in with the back of my arm it gets disallowed. The thin line shows the player is on they then introduce two thicker lines and manipulate until they can call it off. Is the angle of the line they draw across the pitch millimetre by millimetre perfectly parallel to the byline. Millimetres involved when checking the players when the ball is already a foot away from the player who struck it. Its being used the manipulate results even if its just through bias.

This is it, how many goals have been scored with the outside of the arm? 

I can't remember any in my liftime

Yet how many fucking goals are they disallowing because its in an offside position. 

39 minutes ago, Daisy said:

This is it, how many goals have been scored with the outside of the arm? 

I can't remember any in my liftime

Yet how many fucking goals are they disallowing because its in an offside position. 

There was an insane law change after last season, to say that handball no longer applied to any part of the arm (which would be clearly understood by anyone capable of drawing a stickman) to say it applies to the sleeve-line - whatever the fuck that is.

Like you say, I've not seen any goalscorers benefit from that law change; it only benefits the fun-hoovers in Stockley Park.

7 hours ago, Iceman said:

Not for goal celebrations. They have completely ruined the rush and now no one wants to go mental like they used to in case VAR spanners it. Joy thieves. 

I think that's his point.

VAR is doing for football fans what Roy Hodgson did for Liverpool fans. Brought them all together, in full alignment, over the fact the everything will be better without it.

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

MOTD having a pop at the offsides last night, so hopefully the worm is starting to turn.

It was sold as stopping very obvious mistakes, such as Sterling against Man City. It should check every goal but if on first look it is not clear either way, they go with the on field decision. Should take approx 12 seconds and done.

Just because the technology means you zoom and draw lines doesn't mean you too. It is exactly like George Lucas and the Star Wars prequals.

To be fair, motd have been at this all along and they played a significant part in helping get the ridiculous handball rolled back. I posted this on the match thread on the MF... . 

As for enjoying goals, we've scored 3 this week and had a 4th ruled out and I've not reacted to any of them. I just don't feel the ball hitting the net is a goal any more. I know they'll spend the next 3 minutes looking at play backs to try and find a reason to rule the goal out. I thought the reaction of the motd team was interesting, they seemed to be so worn out moaning about it, they don't even know what to say any more. 

There's loads of fans still saying "I'm in favour of it, but". It won't get any better. Motd I think suggested last night that they're talking about removing the etcha-sketch next season (they weren't clear on that). Does anyone think that'll be any better? It'll still be decided by a cheating cunt in a hut outside Heathrow. They'll still give that yesterday as offside when it suits them. And they won't give it offside when it doesn't. Just rip the whole fucking thing up. Referees are the wrong type of people to be in control of this, even in Europe it's fucking shocking, I'm not really seeing a level of subjectiveness either on the pitch or on VAR that seems remotely about coming to the correct honest outcome of situations. It's just micromanaging games to make them fucking shite and give more power to the police. 

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Absolutely spot on, there should be a maximum time limit and only be able to focus on one passage of play. To spend ages working out if there was a touch by a player and finding out there wasn't, they shouldn't then be able to look at another passage. Clear an obvious errors should not come down to trying to work out if three events in a row should all contribute to a decision. It was a farce and I actually stopped watching and only listened to the commentary from another room. I heard we equalised in the second half and waited until I heard kick off again before I started watching again.

On a side note , in real time the ball appeared to be slightly diverted by Cash which is why Diogo missed it , but once you start using the dreaded slo-mo you couldn't be sure.

If I was Tierney I would have given the goal purely for the fact that Cash appeared to have inherited Grealish's shorts.

• Upvote 1

They should (nobody laugh) be applying a dash of common sense to this.  Does being an armpit hair offside 35-40 yards from goal really give the attacking side such a huge advantage that they need to spend 5 minutes doing their Etch a Sketch shit ?  They're making VAR the star of the show when they do that, and it shouldn't be.

Personally I'd sack it off now.  It was meant to be a tool to stop the unfair stuff happening, and if anything it's simply highlighted how utterly inept/corrupt (delete depending on mindset) the officiating in the Premiership is.

Give the cunts a chance to review it 20 times in slow motion and they still get it wrong, all the time stopping the game and killing the moment for the fans.

The problem isn't the technology itself, it's the shower of absolute shite that uses it and until they improve on that it isn't worth a toss, as we've already seen for several seasons now.

I was silly enough to think this would help Refs make the right decision in games - so you wouldn’t have games getting decided by a bad  ref call in real time.

They are making a dogs dinner of it though & it’s really showing up what a poor understanding of the game they have.

I’d say they are afraid of their lives that we don’t get to hear them microphoned

up and talking live showing how they come to their decisions cause I’d say the uproar would be huge.

The big killer though is not being able to celebrate goals anymore with these offside calls.

it won’t be long before they lose a lot of fans altogether if they don’t sort it out.

6 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

We're conducting a fan consultation on VAR, with results that will be fed back to the Premier League. If you want to have your say, spare us 5 minutes to fill in this survey: https://t.co/CcGHOrGlrw https://t.co/EZcGNdWV9r

Done. Basically said simplify it or scrap it. If there’s a definite gap between the last defenders back foot and the leading attackers back foot, meaning the attacker is forward of the defender, when the ball is played forward, then the attacker is offside. If not he’s onside. It is called FOOTball after all. 
As for late tackles, dangerous play, etc. then let the ref’s decision stand.
Isn’t that how it used to be?

• Upvote 1

On 11/04/2021 at 04:48, TheBitch said:

It’s the sole reason I don’t watch football anymore. In years gone by I’d move heaven and earth to watch our matches. I watched Barca beat us 3-0 on a boat in the middle of the Similan islands using a phone and a dodgy box. I’d bin jobs off in work and tell people to wait so I could watch us draw with Fulham. 

Now I genuinely don’t know who we’re playing. 
I come on here (not to be fucked at) and read the match reports and have a mooch around the FF but mainly stick to the GF. 

I just can’t invest my time and energy in something that isn’t fit for purpose and is pretty much rigging games however the people on the end of an etch-a-sketch want the games to be rigged. 

Tl;dr It’s fucking shit and I hate it and I’ve voted with my feet. 

I still watch all of our games, some live some pretend-live due to the time difference, but my enjoyment of the game has dropped massively... mainly due to VAR, I really dislike the suspended relief I now get when a goal is confirmed, as opposed to the pure climactic joy I used to feel when the ball hits the back of the net. The other reason for me is having tasted the real thing, it’s really not the same following the game from 10k miles away, even discounting the privilege of being able to go the game. I miss the pub chat after the game, I miss being able to celebrate/savour three points with pints at my local (CL footy starts at 5am or 7am depending on daylights savings). Maybe it’s because the memory is full fresh, and it will get better as I get more used to being here.

• Upvote 1