You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

"I have watched live football since 1977. VAR has ruined live football as a spectacle. The joy removed. We don't celebrate goals anymore. That is disgraceful in itself. I don't believe officials are biased, I believe they are inept. 1st rate players with 3rd rate officiating gives a 2nd rate product. I don't trust the accuracy of the offside decisions - lines are placed manually. Not enough benefit to the attacker. The interpretation of rules has seemed to change many times throughout the season. It looks like they are making it up as they go along. I don't blame the refs (inept chimps that they are), I blame their bosses. I would rather VAR was scrapped. I can tolerate occasional human error, in order to regain the passion and joy of football."

• Upvote 8

22 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I was neutral on a few like that, I expressed my opinion on the questions where I could say how shite it was.

That’s how I played it, exactly. And wrote war and peace in the free text box at the end.

So, 'clear and obvious' is apparently a thing after all, according to dopey Dermot........ commenting on the McGyuire/Welbeck incident:"Mike Dean has a difficult call. He's not sure if Maguire catches Welbeck and the VAR, when he looks at it, has to go with the referee as it's not a clear and obvious error. It's one of those where you have to accept the ref's decision on the field and stand by it.''

And yet when the same Mike Dean sent off players in consecutive games - clearly and obviously incorrectly, according to thr FA subsequently - but VAR didn't intervene.  

Or conversely, on the many, many other occasions when VAR has intervened this season when it's been anything but clear and obvious, such as when Marriner was told to check on Fabinho's tackle at Fulham, but chose not to change his decision. 

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Can Nike come up with a shirt based on an Aussie Rules one.

Dont think they can Roger. Footie shirts must have sleeves of a regulation size. Cameroon tried playing in a sleeveless shirt years ago and FIFA sanctioned them for it.

But it's just another shit VAR decision really.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Dont think they can Roger. Footie shirts must have sleeves of a regulation size. Cameroon tried playing in a sleeveless shirt years ago and FIFA sanctioned them for it.

But it's just another shit VAR decision really.

Get our normal shirts but show the players pictures of Dave Mackay and roll them up as far as possible.Or hire a hitman for David Coote.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Nobody is offside there.

Agreed.

How can they even say the ball had definitely left the guys foot?

The most frustrating thing about these calls are the are so easily fixed. Make the defenders line thicker by a foot or something and anything past that is most likely undeniably offside.

39 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Agreed.

How can they even say the ball had definitely left the guys foot?

The most frustrating thing about these calls are the are so easily fixed. Make the defenders line thicker by a foot or something and anything past that is most likely undeniably offside.

The easiest way is to fuck the shitfest off completely.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The easiest way is to fuck the shitfest off completely.

Thats not going to happen though. 

As I said, I'm not against VAR, in fact I'm generally for it, but they've got to listen to the supporters on this etcha-sketch shit.  

On 10/01/2018 at 20:49, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Referees are not fit for purpose.

VAR is a necesity.

I don't give a fuck how long it takes, as long as the decision is right.

Can everyone who's not a cunt go to page one of the thread and neg the shit out of this. I'll be negging the 8 who repped it shortly.

• Upvote 1

VAR is fine but when you have one person calling the shots, it’s as open to corruption as anything. I thought a panel of 3 - 5 officials in separate locations with 30 seconds to make a decision would work, but I think you’d need a much bigger sample to avoid shenanigans. Maybe 49 VAR refs for each match.