You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

In keeping with this fucking bizarre season, I realized how much I hate that offside shite. It annoyed me seeing them manipulate an offside with technology utterly incapable of performing the required task. 

Their first should've stood. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, A_S said:

In keeping with this fucking bizarre season, I realized how much I hate that offside shite. It annoyed me seeing them manipulate an offside with technology utterly incapable of performing the required task. 

Completely agree. We need to ignore partisanship and criticize the ruination of the beautiful game, whichever opposition is on the receiving end of this shit.

2 hours ago, A_S said:

I dont think it should have stood because of the forward about 10 yards to Werner's right who was clearly offside and straight down the middle of the pitch.

• Upvote 1

Don't worry it is all sorted now;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56291850

Handball rule changed as football's law makers Ifab confirms new accidental ruling

Accidental handball leading to a goal-scoring chance or goal for a team-mate will no longer be penalised say football's law makers.

Ifab confirmed the change on Friday, saying it was because of the "interpretation of handball incidents" not being applied consistently.

Fulham's loss to Tottenham on Thursday saw Josh Maja's goal controversially ruled out for an accidental handball.

The change is likely to be introduced in England from 1 July.

The International Football Association Board had tightened handball laws for the start of the 2020-21 season.

However, a spate of handball decisions led to fierce criticism across the game and saw English top-flight referees ordered to be less strict about their interpretations of the law.

Premier League officials were told to particularly focus on the distance an offending player is from the ball and whether he has extended his arm outside the natural body line.

In a statement Ifab said, "incorrect applications of the law" made the change necessary but "it will remain an offence if a player scores accidentally with their hand or arm, or uses their hand or arm directly before scoring".

The body also clarified its interpretation of the offside law, saying the definition for handball, whereby the arm ends at the bottom of the armpit, must be used when judging whether a player is offside or not.

Chelsea's Timo Werner was denied a goal against Liverpool on Thursday night when VAR ruled the position of his arm made him offside in the build-up.

Refs have been getting it wrong, so the obvious thing to do it change the rules. Makes perfect sense.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

How refreshing to see a VAR review take a matter of seconds and not do everything possible to deny a goal. It really is showing up those corrupt PL cunts. And foreign refs have become a million miles better than their English counterparts.

100% This , the gulf in competency is staggering. 

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

How refreshing to see a VAR review take a matter of seconds and not do everything possible to deny a goal. It really is showing up those corrupt PL cunts. And foreign refs have become a million miles better than their English counterparts.

Did you see the Dortmund game on Tuesday?

22 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Did you see the Dortmund game on Tuesday?

Yep, the campaigns against VAR by supporters groups across Europe would suggest that it isn't the English officials that the problem here. 

VAR is the problem.

I was all for the introduction of VAR. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the clusterfuck it would result in.

This guff about being offside by a gnat's pube is ridiculous. I know Collina says if you're offside, you're offside but such fine margins shouldnt be in football.

City's non pen last night was ludicrous but many clubs have suffered from similar decisions.

It's pretty clear to me now that VAR wasnt trialled enough because I cannot believe they didnt find this obvious issue with fine margin offside cropping up.

The danger now is that even if you banned the use of VAR tomorrow, the ludicrous reffing decisions wouldnt stop. I find it hard to understand why the on pitch ref didnt award city that pen. Even if VAR questioned it, the ref on reviewing it would surely have upheld his decision?

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

It's better in other leagues because the referees are better in other leagues.

VAR is still shite.

I still see a fair amount of ridiculous VAR calls in Serie A and La Liga for example, and a lot of questionable refereeing decisions, but the main difference with their use of VAR is that the referee goes to the screen much more often, and they don't take absolutely ages faffing about drawing wonky lines.

It still beats me why the referee can't be in dialogue with the VAR official but at the same time go and view the footage themselves. If nothing else, it would quicken the process if they communicated and reviewed at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I still see a fair amount of ridiculous VAR calls in Serie A and La Liga for example, and a lot of questionable refereeing decisions, but the main difference with their use of VAR is that the referee goes to the screen much more often, and they don't take absolutely ages faffing about drawing wonky lines.

It still beats me why the referee can't be in dialogue with the VAR official but at the same time go and view the footage themselves. If nothing else, it would quicken the process if they communicated and reviewed at the same time.

Well, agree to disagree. I think the main difference is that English referees are old, fat and shit.

Jonathan Moss simply wouldn't be allowed to referee a game in Serie A, La Liga or Bundesliga.

3 hours ago, Trumo said:

But are they drawing lines and you're just not seeing them? I was watching Juve/Porto the other night and Juve had a goal that was assisted by Ronaldo. I thought Ronaldo looked a mile off. The commentators were saying it was being checked by VAR and the replays were only showing from the Ronaldo pass onwards so you never saw the pass into Ronaldo to see if he was off. And the goal was given. So I don't know what VAR were watching to review or if they were drawing lines, but I wasn't getting to see any of that. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

But are the drawing lines and you're just not seeing them? I was watching Juve/Porto the other night and Juve had a goal that was assisted by Ronaldo. I thought Ronaldo looked a mile off. The commentators were saying it was being checked by VAR and the replays were only showing from the Ronaldo pass onwards so you never saw the pass into Ronaldo to see if he was off. And the goal was given. So I don't know what VAR were watching to review or if they were drawing lines, but I wasn't getting to see any of that. 

Saw that goal on highlights and that was my immediate thought that he looked clearly off by a few yards unless there was somebody out of picture.

On 12/03/2021 at 16:46, Jairzinho said:

Well, agree to disagree. I think the main difference is that English referees are old, fat and shit.

Jonathan Moss simply wouldn't be allowed to referee a game in Serie A, La Liga or Bundesliga.

Yep, all these need fucking off as soon as possible due to at least fitting into two of these categories:

Martin Atkinson - 50 at the end of this month.

Mike Dean - 52

Kevin Friend - 50 in July 

Andre Marriner - 50

Lee Mason - 50 in October 

Jon Moss - 50

Graham Scott - 52

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Yep, all these need fucking off as soon as possible due to at least fitting into two of these categories:

Martin Atkinson - 50 at the end of this month.

Mike Dean - 52

Kevin Friend - 50 in July 

Andre Marriner - 50

Lee Mason - 50 in October 

Jon Moss - 50

Graham Scott - 52

Apparently, they're not allowed to 'retire' referees on age grounds these days as that would be discriminatory. Presumably full-time referees are subject to employment law and so I suppose the only ways you could get rid of them would be demonstrable lack of fitness or demonstrable ineptitiude. Since Jon Moss has been lugging his belly around for the last 10 years presumably the fitness standards cant be that high and given that Lee Mason has been useless for years the bar for ineptitude must be unbelievably low.