You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

Shouldn't have blown the whistle when the keeper was lining up the wall. What happened after was farcical but it was right that the goal didn't stand.

Dunk's goal at Anfield last season should never have stood either. Who was the ref that day? I can't remember.

15 minutes ago, dave u said:

Shouldn't have blown the whistle when the keeper was lining up the wall. What happened after was farcical but it was right that the goal didn't stand.

Dunk's goal at Anfield last season should never have stood either. Who was the ref that day? I can't remember.

Martin Atkinson I think

20 minutes ago, dave u said:

Atkinson. And by the way, that was after a sending off of alisson! Fucking criminal. 

As a collective, the current bunch of referees are just a dreadful shower and are hardly likely to improve in any way given that there’s never any sanction for their ineptitude. 

Time for the Premier League to bring in ten competent and physically fit referees from continental Europe, pay them a six figure salary and let them get on with the job. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Also, the penalty this season. 

Fuck Brighton. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

As a collective, the current bunch of referees are just a dreadful shower and are hardly likely to improve in any way given that there’s never any sanction for their ineptitude. 

Time for the Premier League to bring in ten competent and physically fit referees from continental Europe, pay them a six figure salary and let them get on with the job. 

When I watch the odd game with my missus' dad he always asks me why all British refs are fat and bald. 

In the Danish top league today it was 3 - 2 to AGF over FC København, the red blows the game and then VAR tells him to bring the game back and give a penalty and it becomes 3 - 3. Can’t even celebrate now when the game is over. Fucking hell. 

The people in charge of VAR at the very top of the game MUST ask themselves whether, pre-VAR, officials on the pitch were missing an awful lot of penalisable offences in the penalty area, because since the last World Cup in particular, there has been a sharp rise in the number of penalties awarded. Why are they insisting on all that running around by players for 90 minutes being solely for the purpose of a free shot at goal from 12 yards for one of them? Also, why look for absolute accuracy on marginal offsides when the technology isn't sufficient (or sufficiently utilised by those entrusted with it), when before it was accepted that tight calls went in the attacker's favour?

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

The people in charge of VAR at the very top of the game MUST ask themselves whether, pre-VAR, officials on the pitch were missing an awful lot of penalisable offences in the penalty area, because since the last World Cup in particular, there has been a sharp rise in the number of penalties awarded. Why are they insisting on all that running around by players for 90 minutes being solely for the purpose of a free shot at goal from 12 yards for one of them? Also, why look for absolute accuracy on marginal offsides when the technology isn't sufficient (or sufficiently utilised by those entrusted with it), when before it was accepted that tight calls went in the attacker's favour?

They don't want the number of goals to go down as it's an easy stat to see. VAR is ridding the game of all kinds of goals from open play and they're replacing them with super dubious pens. 

16 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Does anyone, anywhere think VAR (or the way it is being used) is doing anything other than harming the game in this country?

I’m still in favour of it but for me there are 2 key parts of it...

1) To many rules are trying to be shoehorned into being black or white - see handball. 

2) Similarly offside. Nobody likes these millimetre calls, make an area of tolerance so there is no doubt when a player is outside the parameter, they are offside. 

3) Probably the key part - the VAR process relies on an official telling another official to review. The issue is the quality of our officials are garbage. 

I blame Mike Riley for standards slipping - and they were never great to begin with. He was a snivelling little shit as a referee and he’s a snivelling little shit now.

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m still in favour of it but for me there are 2 key parts of it...

1) To many rules are trying to be shoehorned into being black or white - see handball. 

2) Similarly offside. Nobody likes these millimetre calls, make an area of tolerance so there is no doubt when a player is outside the parameter, they are offside. 

3) Probably the key part - the VAR process relies on an official telling another official to review. The issue is the quality of our officials are garbage. 

I blame Mike Riley for standards slipping - and they were never great to begin with. He was a snivelling little shit as a referee and he’s a snivelling little shit now.

How many instances in the last 2 years has there been where someone would have gotten away with a shocker but for VAR?  I don't recall many, Chelsea got a penalty at Sheff Utd was a diabolical non-call, Manè scored at Brighton where the lino shouldn't have missed that. Can't think of many more but I could tell you 50 were they they got involved in miniscule events and made drama out of them. 

It has to go, the negatives far outweigh the positives. If it must stay then only for missed serious foul play or over ruling a dive for a penalty. This handball yesterday was technically a penalty but thats not football, stopping a game for 2 minutes for a nothing situation. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baltar said:

I would honestly scrap VAR in its present form and go back to what football was before. Sure you'd get a lot of shit decisions but at least the game wasn't being totally and utterly ruined as it is now.

even if you take that absolute fuck up of Lee Mason on Saturday - I reckon without VAR, he'd have still double blown, but he would have just had the free kick retaken and it would never have been a talking point. yet because VAR is there, it allowed it to become a big thing, take 3 or 4 mins and didn't deliver an outcome any different to what Mason wanted when he blew for the 2nd time. 

It's here to stay so just limit its toxicity. Let the ref make the calls, let the linos flag and let VAR only get involved 

1. for red card offences/ penalty calls where the ref thinks he didn't have a good view and asks VAR for a second opinion.

2. where an instant replay shows a player was clearly offside without drawing any lines and with any doubt given to the attacker. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, No2 said:

How many instances in the last 2 years has there been where someone would have gotten away with a shocker but for VAR?  I don't recall many, Chelsea got a penalty at Sheff Utd was a diabolical non-call, Manè scored at Brighton where the lino shouldn't have missed that. Can't think of many more but I could tell you 50 were they they got involved in miniscule events and made drama out of them. 

It has to go, the negatives far outweigh the positives. If it must stay then only for missed serious foul play or over ruling a dive for a penalty. This handball yesterday was technically a penalty but thats not football, stopping a game for 2 minutes for a nothing situation. 

See my point about the officials being shite. "Clear and obvious". And to be fair, it is getting a little better. At least some referee's are ignoring when they don't agree with the review. 

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

even if you take that absolute fuck up of Lee Mason on Saturday - I reckon without VAR, he'd have still double blown, but he would have just had the free kick retaken and it would never have been a talking point. yet because VAR is there, it allowed it to become a big thing, take 3 or 4 mins and didn't deliver an outcome any different to what Mason wanted when he blew for the 2nd time. 

He gave a goal before VAR got involved. The issue was the lack of communication on why VAR had decided what it decided. 

16 minutes ago, aws said:

2. where an instant replay shows a player was clearly offside without drawing any lines and with any doubt given to the attacker. 

I agree but there will be some dick bag's who'll still try and say Firmino was offside at Villa or Salah at Brighton etc. 

IMO, a tolerance is a better solution. It definitely proves a player is offside, rather than proving them onside.

I do agree a referee could request his own replays.