You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Giving the on-field ref the power to overturn VAR advice is just asking for shenanigans.

You don't mind them overturning VAR's advice if they bothered to consider it.

This cunt jogged to the monitor, watched one re-run of the incident, and fucked off again.

Dopey cunt let them take an offside freekick in our half too!

At least he had a great laugh with Carlo at the end.

I'm done with football now a its not the game I loved. Regardless of whether VAR got it right and the ref fucked up the whole thing is just a shit show and is open to massive abuse to influence games. 

Even winning the league last season didn't feel as good as it should have as I just don't have the same love for the game anymore. 

VAR and the ineptitude of the officals has killed it for me. 

• Upvote 1

I think most of us feel like we're done with it as it's not the game we grew up with. But it's in our blood. We'll feel much better when we're back in the ground. Knowing as supporters we can actually have a positive influence on the side.

As for VAR, well its shite. But referees are worse. Mike Riley as got a lot to answer for.

And it's my belief these refs act with total impunity as fans aren't in grounds to put them under pressure. 

Something must be done about VAR and those that operate it. 

No other ref has been as dismissive of a VAR monitor like that cunt was. He was bent on giving that penalty, no matter what the contrary evidence was. Barely looked at the replay.

Not that I have much sympathy for Chris Wilder, but that unpunished challenge on their player by the Fulham keeper was another absolute shocker. And then the PGMOL came with some bullshit justification. Glad that Souness called all of them out for being shit cunts on Sky afterwards.

10 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Genuine question...

Where there is corruption there is usually a 'pay-off' or a benefit to it. What is the pay-off for the ref's corruption of the game that is currently happening?

The benefit for them is obvious, fuck Liverpool over on a weekly basis, because like Dave wrote yesterday, a large amount of them are mancs. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Code said:

The benefit for them is obvious, fuck Liverpool over on a weekly basis, because like Dave wrote yesterday, a large amount of them are mancs. 

I disagree about the 'they are mancs argument' but there is definitely a minimum of subconscious bias alongside blatant incompetency. Its hard to criticise the officials after our series of home shit shows though. Those 'mentality mosters' are definitely in lockdown.

Just saw the clip with Souness after the Fulham hame last night where he has said these refs are making it up as they go along. He is spot on. I've never seen worse referees in all my years of watching football than the incompetent lot the Premier league now has. Its completely fallen on its backside and needs to be revamped. 

Souness also made a good point that there were zero referees from England at the last World Cup because they are absolutely shit.

They have completely ruined the game In this country and if the same level of refereeing was being applied in Italy as it is is England there would be an investigation into corruption there. 

Thats how ridiculous the standard is in this country. Mike Riley is a cunt of the highest order who needs fucking off and shooting into the sun. 

The Premier League need to get together, fuck these cunts off and setup a new structure to hire the best referees from around Europe and create a new standard. 

• Upvote 2

The joke is, after Dean's complete fuck up with his reds card fiasco, he only missed 1 PL game due to his request to be stood down after those supposed death threats. Mason, who was his VAR in those incidents was stood down for disciplinary reasons over his ineptness.

So in effect, Dean has got off while his VAR rightly got suspended for a game although I think 10 wouldnt have been enough.

It's fucking incredible the idiots on MoTD said Trent's was a pen last night. Any sane person would say no it wasnt! If Trent had deliberately rolled around or barged into the player from a prone position, you could make a case for it being one. But he didnt and the player collided with him after the player got his shot away.

Since when has the penalty law stated that? It's like the fuck up with city's offside goal against Villa, they've just decided to make up this new interpretation.

I firmly believe there must be something in the BBC's contract with the PL \ FA that they must not unduely contradict or undermine the refs. It's a joke ex pros think that is a pen yet a 2 handed shove in the back of Mane in the box isnt.

It's all 'should have gone down to get a pen,' to 'not enough contact for me, he dived \ should have stayed on his feet.' These fucking clowns should be in a circus not sharing their views on a supposed flagship football programme.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The joke is, after Dean's complete fuck up with his reds card fiasco, he only missed 1 PL game due to his request to be stood down after those supposed death threats. Mason, who was his VAR in those incidents was stood down for disciplinary reasons over his ineptness.

So in effect, Dean has got off while his VAR rightly got suspended for a game although I think 10 wouldnt have been enough.

It's fucking incredible the idiots on MoTD said Trent's was a pen last night. Any sane person would say no it wasnt! If Trent had deliberately rolled around or barged into the player from a prone position, you could make a case for it being one. But he didnt and the player collided with him after the player got his shot away.

Since when has the penalty law stated that? It's like the fuck up with city's offside goal against Villa, they've just decided to make up this new interpretation.

I firmly believe there must be something in the BBC's contract with the PL \ FA that they must not unduely contradict or undermine the refs. It's a joke ex pros think that is a pen yet a 2 handed shove in the back of Mane in the box isnt.

It's all 'should have gone down to get a pen,' to 'not enough contact for me, he dived \ should have stayed on his feet.' These fucking clowns should be in a circus not sharing their views on a supposed flagship football programme.

All analysis is based on the colour and badge on the shirt.

In the coverage I was watching with Michael Owen etc... I was astounded at the penalty analysis.

The other guy was even saying it should be a red card for TAA.

And I think they were all commenting under the illusion that TAA was hooking his leg and making contact with the player... 

Unless I'm blind, TAA's leg made no contact with the player?

It was his tripping over the back of TAA that was "why" the penalty was given, no?

The analysis, for me, sounded like the network were told that commentators should toe the offical line.

15 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Again, not the reason for the loss but another strange decision going against the club who were the forerunners for the breakaway European league.

Here's the thing. It's strange decision every single game. For the 1st time ever when we lose, I've actually watch motd. So for me the 2 goals are all the analysis you need. 

1. Their opener. I said in the match thread on the MF that my 1st reaction was it was offside. Sky didn't even both doing the freeze frame thing and as a result he looks on at 1st glance. But we know after 2 years of this loads of close calls that look on are offside. Then on motd, they do freeze frame it. He looks off - but there was no etcha-sketch, why? Why isn't it being examined? Contrast that to the 2nd half when they put the ball in the net when the player was about 20 yards off, VAR actually spent more time looking at that. I'm not saying their goal was offside. But I have to question how the technology is being used to influence games when they choose not to look at that 1st goal. It looked more offside say than mane was in the goodison derby. 

2. Their pen. So I've watched it loads of times and can't see what could possibly be a foul. Then on motd they say the ref gave it because Trent raises his foot to make contact with richarlison (was it him?). There was contact, but it's a fucking contact sport and he was already down. Yet Keane pushes mane in the back, nothing. 

Football is a low scoring game and VAR and the refs influence is there for all to see. Another day that 0-2 becomes 1-0 through absolutely nothing other than how the refs are choosing to interpret the rules and use the technology. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, skaro said:

In the coverage I was watching with Michael Owen etc... I was astounded at the penalty analysis.

The other guy was even saying it should be a red card for TAA.

And I think they were all commenting under the illusion that TAA was hooking his leg and making contact with the player... 

Unless I'm blind, TAA's leg made no contact with the player?

It was his tripping over the back of TAA that was "why" the penalty was given, no?

The analysis, for me, sounded like the network were told that commentators should toe the offical line.

He hits TAA's head then as he falls to the ground he catches TAA's leg. But it's nothing.