You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

20210213_222250.jpg

The line they drew for Firmino foot was nowhere near it and they drew the lin in the wrong place for his sleeve. 

We have been fucked like no other team with this shit

This proves the point you can make a case for calling decisions either way so it’s open to interpretation and therefore potentially skullduggery.

Would be interesting to see similar situations on the continent and how they’ve been dealing with them.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I never wanted VAR, however I don't think even it's biggest advocates would have expected it to be the micromanaging bag of shite it is. I think the expectation of all rational human beings was var would be used to ensure refs no longer get big calls wrong. Nobody in their right mind would think there'd be minutes and minutes of paying video back and forth and some bloke with an etcha-sketch giving offside. I don't think anyone who wanted more correct decisions can be blamed for the shit show we see now. 

Well I blame them. I had no issue with the system previously. Referees are human, will make errors in a fast-paced game where players cheat all the time. You get angry and you move on.

Now I have to have the game stop/started, can't celebrate goals and have to see wrong decisions made in slow motion.

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

This proves the point you can make a case for calling decisions either way so it’s open to interpretation and therefore potentially skullduggery.

Would be interesting to see similar situations on the continent and how they’ve been dealing with them.

Not really. It proves you need to be consistent and accurate 

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I never wanted VAR, however I don't think even it's biggest advocates would have expected it to be the micromanaging bag of shite it is. I think the expectation of all rational human beings was var would be used to ensure refs no longer get big calls wrong. Nobody in their right mind would think there'd be minutes and minutes of playing video back and forth and some bloke with an etcha-sketch giving offside. I don't think anyone who wanted more correct decisions can be blamed for the shit show we see now. 

That sounds like an answer a fisherman is giving to his local paper about Brexit.

• Upvote 2

12 points I reckon we've been done out of by shitty decisions this season.

Cost a red card, pen and a goal at Everton, blatant foul for the goal at Fulham, the Salah 'offside' and the pen at Brighton, the pen at Newcastle, the pen at Southampton and then yesterday.

This shit is supposed to give accuracy and consistency as it's sole benefit and it can't even deliver that. It ruins the emotion of the game which is it's most important feature and if it carries on I think it genuinely will kill the game's popularity for no benefit at all.

Personally, I'm sick of it and I'm watching less and less top flight football outside of our games.

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Well I blame them. I had no issue with the system previously. Referees are human, will make errors in a fast-paced game where players cheat all the time. You get angry and you move on.

Now I have to have the game stop/started, can't celebrate goals and have to see wrong decisions made in slow motion.

Couldn't agree more with this. Anybody with half a brain could see what was coming with this shite. The only question now is whether to bother our arses sticking with the sport now they've ruined it.

My view for what its worth is that somehow these millimetre offside decisions need to be canned and the ruling on the field should stand. Drawing these lines cannot be foolproof and I'm not sure the system was ever meant to evolve into this farce. If the VAR ref cannot clearly see an error without the lines then stick to refs/lino call. Also stop this bollocks that lets play continue and make the officials do what they are paid for and call them straight away rather than copping out and waiting for VAR to do their job.   

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

Christ hadn't seen the foul on Mane till now but Taylor needs to investigated for not

giving this 

This actually disgust me, I asked for a gif of it yesterday. How is that Manc allowed to be anywhere near our games?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Mook said:

Couldn't agree more with this. Anybody with half a brain could see what was coming with this shite. The only question now is whether to bother our arses sticking with the sport now they've ruined it.

I think the season after fans are back in the ground it's gone. The pressure to fuck it off will build every week. 

It's getting worse and worse every fucking week. No-one be they managers, players, commentators, fans, or the refs, have any idea about the rules. We have inconsistencies on huge decisions in the same cunting game. 

It is destroying the sport as a spectacle for fans of the clubs playing and neutrals as well. There are no fans in the ground. It's already fucking dreadful to watch on the telly. 

On 13/02/2021 at 16:56, Barrington Womble said:

The problem I have with that offside today is dead easy. We can see for loads of reasons why where the line was drawn (subjective) is not correct (you can't see bobby's toe). However, if for a minute we forgot the last 2 seasons, I think we'd all agree that should be onside. And our experience of the last 2 years is if that's us scoring, it is offside. And despite being told offside is black and white, we know it's subjective based on where the var puts his marks.  It's impossible to believe it's not rigged when you've had our decisions sinnce var started. 

But let's be honest, what we all really want is a world where there's no VAR and that's as onside as the lino said it was. That should be onside. 

I'm.a massive advocate of sticking VAR into a rocket and blasting it into the heart of the sun. But I would like to think after I've done that, that 1st goal today would be onside. 

Agree with all that, but the Lino flagged offside and personally I think it looked offside at first view, and is bloody close either way, so a Lino should be accepted if calling that either way

18 hours ago, Code said:

This actually disgust me, I asked for a gif of it yesterday. How is that Manc allowed to be anywhere near our games?

Bear in mind how many free kicks he awarded to Barnes alone for anytime he fell down. The one he booked Jones for in the first half a prime example.

On 13/02/2021 at 18:32, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not too sure I'd say that was a stamp. However at the time I felt that contact was not dissimilar to the pen given against us earlier in the season on the line of the box by fabinho, I can't remember the game now, but it was in the 1st week or two after vvd got injured. For me they've made it clear stepping on someone foot in the box is a pen..that's what happened today for me 100% a pen with the rules we're supposed to be applying and I feel it's this type of thing we should be calling out the refs on. 

The other thing I'm finding tough is I can understand a ref not calling that in real time. And it seems when it's us going forward it's just not "clear and obvious" when it's the other way, they run it 300 times till they can give a pen. 

Brighton with Wellbeck too.

it’s not a pen in any version of the game I want to watch, however the current version of the game gives that penalty against us

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Brighton with Wellbeck too.

it’s not a pen in any version of the game I want to watch, however the current version of the game gives that penalty against us

Agreed it shouldn't be a pen. But they're the rules we seem to be getting judged on at the other end. I just want a fair crack of the whip. 

• Upvote 2

Another one showing how the refs are not at the required standard is the Mancs game against West Brom.

First off you had a free kick coming in Maguire dives the ref is obviously unsure and takes a while before going ah fuck it ill give a pen. where I thought they should only give a pen if its clear and obvious.

The next fuck up is the ref doing VAR for the game is re looking at the penalty incident over and over, advises the ref to check the monitor and they come to the correct decision that its not a pen by pure fluke. 

If it was a dive or not is irrelevant because if the ref doing the VAR review is in tune with the rules of the game etc the first thing he should have been checking was is if Maguire is offside which he was.

So my issue is if the ref on the pitch decided that there was enough contact to go down he'd have given a pen and it looks like they wouldn't have checked for offside. 

It is simple with offside if you have to use freezeframes and then draw lines and cross hairs to mm's to decide if is on or off it is fucking on...

They don't have good enough technology to be working to such margins anyway.

We’ve said it so many times but use a twice as thick line for the defence or the 2 lines need to be clearly separate when calling offside. 

Covers all the close decisions they simply cannot call with the limited technology and frame analysis they have. 

Useless bastards can't deal with a clear foul like that on Mane, but fuck around for ages drawing lines (badly) off shadows of feet and armpits.

• Upvote 1