You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Seems to boil down to whether Bobby's handball is considered deliberate. PGMOL said Moss and Atkinson considered it such but I think that is arse-covering bollocks. If it was considered accidental or, you know punched onto his arm , it would only disallowed if it went into the net off it or immediately led to a chance that was scored.

Brought to you by virtually the same crew who allowed city's first goal against Villa to stand, said it was 100% 'legit' but then agreed to change the 'rules' after consultation with FIFA \ IFAB so it can never happen again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Remmie said:

With Bobby's handball, does the fact Dier was holding him and impeding him come into it? Genuinely don't know what the rule is on being fouled causing a handball. 

Also the ball comes off Dier's forearm into Bobby's 

That’s the thing isn’t it. The red has been directed to watch on tv over and over a Tottenham player fouling a Liverpool player to come away and award Tottenham a free kick.

I don’t like the ability to rule out a goal for something that happened so far earlier in a move, but even if that’s the right thing to do, because well it was strictly handball, how can you watch that replay and not award us the free kick?

that said, there’s not a single incident that Atkinson can’t interpret as the outcome being “award the ball to the ones in white”. He’s bent as fuck when he refs us. If he was just shite, we’d occasionally get a shit decision in our favour.

I recall that our first goal vs City last season was allowed to stand following the same process.

Silva handled the ball, it hit Trent's arm, we launch a counter and then score through Fabinho. It wasnt disallowed that day. So I dont know why it should have been disallowed in a similar situation vs Spurs when the initial handball was by the Spurs player.

And also, judging by the wording in the rule posted by Code above, the goal should have stood regardless.

Lasts nights one is not  about the new handball law, it was no different to a regular foul in a build up to a goal, simple question was was it deliberate handball? He controlled it with his hand so yes it was. The shenanigans going on at the time are irrelevant unfortunately. VAR last night done us a turn, even Jurgen's smile at that moment suggested finally our luck has turn, the gee hair is our favour for once. 

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Forensically examining footage of build up to goals looking for reasons to rule them out is destroying the joy of the live game. 

both goals should have stood. 

Agreed. If Bobby handles the ball like that without Dier hanging off him, fine, come back and disallow it for a handball the ref shouldn’t have missed but did.

As for Son’s goal, that same linesman flagged Mo offside immediately (not one of those late flags) for practically the same thing in the second half, only he was onside by 6 inches or so, and we should’ve got a corner. Incorrect decision but it happens and nobody got arsed about it.

let the assistants do their job and overrule if they get it badly wrong. Not like this.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Code said:

C62EF478-05F8-44A9-AD19-A6CF1B71DFAA.jpeg

I wrote something similar in the Spurs match thread, about how Bobby neither gave an assist for the goal nor scored himself despite the ball inadvertantly touching his arm, so I don't know why they disallowed it. The guys on comms never mentioned how Dier was grappling and fouling Bobby in the first place, and that the ball hit Dier's arm first.

I was gutted the goal was disallowed but as soon as I saw the replay I knew it would be because although Bobby was being fouled it did look like he controlled the ball with his arm after it was flicked onto him by Dier. Ridiculous we didn't get the free kick. 

16 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I wrote something similar in the Spurs match thread, about how Bobby neither gave an assist for the goal nor scored himself despite the ball inadvertantly touching his arm, so I don't know why they disallowed it. The guys on comms never mentioned how Dier was grappling and fouling Bobby in the first place, and that the ball hit Dier's arm first.

Hoddle mentioned Dier being all over him to be fair. Not sure if you had BT on. 

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

It seems, going back to the beach ball, that a lot of "top level professional" refs done know the rules. That is a major issue but obviously they are all too busy arse covering rather than acknowledge this, so it won't get any better.

They don't know the rules and they don't know the game. They pretend they're football lawyers, banging on about technicalities and loopholes. Yet that Rodri/Silva goal was clearly offside according to both the rules and the spirit of the game. 

1 hour ago, aws said:

I was gutted the goal was disallowed but as soon as I saw the replay I knew it would be because although Bobby was being fouled it did look like he controlled the ball with his arm after it was flicked onto him by Dier. Ridiculous we didn't get the free kick. 

Looked to me as the ref originally gave us the advantage instead of a free kick and didn't see the ball hitting Bobby's arm. I'm not that arsed though. We should've had the free kick, not Spurs, but it was in the middle of the park, no big deal.

Disallowing the goal was the right decision I suppose. We've had VAR decisions against us much worse than thiis one.

I hate VAR, but in this match I believe VAR was helpful to us. I'm not confident we'd be able to play as well as we did had Son's offside goal not been disallowed.