You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

On 14/12/2020 at 20:31, Mook said:

After nearly every game (win, lose or draw) at the moment, I think to myself that I might not bother watching the next game. I don't really look forward to the games, I don't look forward to our goals because I know they'll likely be analysed to death before a decision is made. I haven't celebrated a goal properly for over a year. The last game I went to was Spring 2019 & I have no intention of ever going back as long as VAR is around, I don't really understand why would anyone would pay to watch this bollocks.

Is this how I should be feeling when we have the best manager in the World & one of the best teams going? 

Get it to fuck.

Scrap-VAR.png

Yes it has ruined the game, I originally thought it was just for deciding if the ball had crossed the line of which I thought, well OK, though wasn't arsed about that too much. 

Now though it's gone way to far and has made me lose my enjoyment of the game and more importantly interest. 

Every manager is questioning it after every game plus the competence of the officials, its just shit. 

I'd rather be arguing about decisions years after whether they went for or against, but I suppose its here to stay. 

The game will be getting stopped for adverts at regular intervals before long. 

Shite it is. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Yes it has ruined the game, I originally thought it was just for deciding if the ball had crossed the line of which I thought, well OK, though wasn't arsed about that too much. 

Now though it's gone way to far and has made me lose my enjoyment of the game and more importantly interest. 

Every manager is questioning it after every game plus the competence of the officials, its just shit. 

I'd rather be arguing about decisions years after whether they went for or against, but I suppose its here to stay. 

The game will be getting stopped for adverts at regular intervals before long. 

Shite it is. 

All my life, boxing day has been footy day. A day with the lads and probably my favourite day of the year. This year, I didn't watch a game. Some of that was down to not going out because of this covid mess. But I could have turned it on at home, but just couldn't be fucking arsed. There was just loads of things more interesting to do than football. And for me that is completely because of VAR. Then yesterday because I was going to the game, I tried to get in the mood before I went and stuck the Leeds game on. And what was the biggest talking point? VAR again. It's just fucking killing the game and I find it strange that nobody inside the game seems to really give a shit. It's like they know there's a somehow "better" audience than us cunts who've gone the game and helped create the TV boom.

I've said for years, they don't want us there. They don't want the passion of football, they don't want the passion of the fans. They want it to be a fucking pantomime act, where you go for the day out and the game is just a reason to sell all the trimmings. And they want to make it as razzmatazz as possible to attract a new TV audience with the attention span of a nat. Even the champions League final is morphing into the Superbowl with twats like dua lipa getting a fucking slot to attract people who ordinarily wouldn't give a fuck about football. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

...Even the champions League final is morphing into the Superbowl with twats like dua lipa getting a fucking slot to attract people who ordinarily wouldn't give a fuck about football. 

You leave Dua Lipa outta this you twat. Yuo're right about the VAR chat though, has made me want to murder the pundits even more than usual.

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

All my life, boxing day has been footy day. A day with the lads and probably my favourite day of the year. This year, I didn't watch a game. Some of that was down to not going out because of this covid mess. But I could have turned it on at home, but just couldn't be fucking arsed. There was just loads of things more interesting to do than football. And for me that is completely because of VAR. Then yesterday because I was going to the game, I tried to get in the mood before I went and stuck the Leeds game on. And what was the biggest talking point? VAR again. It's just fucking killing the game and I find it strange that nobody inside the game seems to really give a shit. It's like they know there's a somehow "better" audience than us cunts who've gone the game and helped create the TV boom.

I've said for years, they don't want us there. They don't want the passion of football, they don't want the passion of the fans. They want it to be a fucking pantomime act, where you go for the day out and the game is just a reason to sell all the trimmings. And they want to make it as razzmatazz as possible to attract a new TV audience with the attention span of a nat. Even the champions League final is morphing into the Superbowl with twats like dua lipa getting a fucking slot to attract people who ordinarily wouldn't give a fuck about football. 

Is right, though i don't go the game these days, unless we're playing down here, I see your point. 

In a few years we'll be a forgotten relic of the past, much like pre Premier League, as the younger fans and players alike won't know any difference, it will be the norm. 

I can't be arsed myself watching most of the time, MOTD was a must once but not now, sometimes I wonder if the powers that be actually take note of the reactions to Var but there can be no going back sadly, the game is fucked and can fuck off. 

One thing I've noticed though is I haven't seen any dickhead goal celebrations so there's something, maybe because of VAR I suppose or maybe it's about who can have the most ridiculous dickhead hairstyle? 

Footballers are like fuckin' sheep, sleeve tattoos whatever they're called, fuck me I could rant on all day, like an arl fella going on about yesteryear but that yesteryear wasn't very long ago. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Is right, though i don't go the game these days, unless we're playing down here, I see your point. 

In a few years we'll be a forgotten relic of the past, much like pre Premier League, as the younger fans and players alike won't know any difference, it will be the norm. 

I can't be arsed myself watching most of the time, MOTD was a must once but not now, sometimes I wonder if the powers that be actually take note of the reactions to Var but there can be no going back sadly, the game is fucked and can fuck off. 

One thing I've noticed though is I haven't seen any dickhead goal celebrations so there's something, maybe because of VAR I suppose or maybe it's about who can have the most ridiculous dickhead hairstyle? 

Footballers are like fuckin' sheep, sleeve tattoos whatever they're called, fuck me I could rant on all day, like an arl fella going on about yesteryear but that yesteryear wasn't very long ago. 

Footballers are not too different to other guys their age, they’ve never been. When I started supporting us, I remember Fowler with his dyed blonde head. I look at photos of Souness and Thommo from the 70s(?) and they both had perms

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Footballers are not too different to other guys their age, they’ve never been. When I started supporting us, I remember Fowler with his dyed blonde head. I look at photos of Souness and Thommo from the 70s(?) and they both had perms

I suppose so, man buns though? They are ridiculous. 

Saying that though I once read about how a LFC team used to listen to certain records in the 80s and you think christ did they. 

I've really no time for them apart from what they do on the pitch though there is a few that don't seem to have the personalities of a bag of shite and seem pretty sound, Juan Mata for one. 

He's right about Dua Lipa though, it's fucking cringeworthy having that shite before a game of Football.

The Americanisation of our sport is almost complete & most us us have sat around like spare pricks at a whore's Wedding watching it happen.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mook said:

He's right about Dua Lipa though, it's fucking cringeworthy having that shite before a game of Football.

The Americanisation of our sport is almost complete & most us us have sat around like spare pricks at a whore's Wedding watching it happen.

Yeah, get the marching bands back like they used to have before the FA Cup Finals. The telly watchers used to write and complain to the BBC that they discussed the game at half time instead of showing the band.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2020 at 15:31, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, get the marching bands back like they used to have before the FA Cup Finals. The telly watchers used to write and complain to the BBC that they discussed the game at half time instead of showing the band.

Met Police band doing YNWA at Highbury was good as well.....

Not that long ago when you went the match you worried about what certain players like Henry, Ronaldo, Aguero could do to us, next week I won't be arsed about Fernandes or Rashford against our makeshift CB pairing I'll be more worried how the officials and VAR are going to fuck us over

So we have had 12 'subjective' VAR calls against us this season - 7 more than any other side....

Wow.

It wouldn’t be as bad if contentious calls didn’t take 5 minutes one game and 10 seconds in the next, making you believe they’re desperate to spot a problem or desperate not to spot one.

The headlock on Salah the other night and the lunge on Milner were obvious fouls both not given. 

I’d like to think I’m fairly reasonable with decisions that don’t go our way or are given against us but l this year it’s been bizarre how poor some of the decisions have been.

The two that broke me were the ruled out goal at the pit - that Mane offside was beyond laughable, and the last minute pen for Brighton.

It is like VAR went out of its way  to get those decisions made.

Such ridiculously fine margins - yet contrast how forensic VAR was reach those calls with say the push on Salah for the goal Fulham scored v us, which is a foul anywhere else on pitch all day long, and you see them given 10 times a game....

And then zero look at a keeper clearly holding Mane's leg at Newcastle to stop him reaching a loose ball and putting in an open net.

The foul on Mane the other night that should have been a pen....Hardly any check at all....just a 'was quickly checked nothing to see' job.

It isn't right...yet the pen shout Fulham had v us with Fabinho was looked at over and over and over (OK it went our way in the end but still)

It just does not feel like we are being treated the same as other sides so far this season.

• Upvote 1

It's shit and not being used as it should. VAR was never meant to replace the decision making of the on field ref. It's intended use was to spot clear and obvious errors and direct the on field ref to view the monitor and decide if he wanted to uphold his decision or change it.

What's happened is VAR has made the call on marginal offsides with comical lines, ball brushing hand and arm and made the most ludicrous penalty awards going.

Take last night Spurs v Brentford. Spurs were clearly the better side yet Brentford were robbed of an equaliser by a blurry picture and a pixel or two. This isnt what football is supposed to be.

VAR should only be telling the ref to stop the game and review this or that decision. VAR shouldnt be making the call to change a decision.

If they did that, VAR would be doing what it was supposed to do, not the shitfest we have now. And if VAR cannot eradicate the inconsistencies in decisions especially on pens, then it needs to be abandoned altogether.

Referee Michael Oliver has admitted that he should have handed Jordan Pickford a punishment for his challenge on Virgil van Dijk.

The tackle, which left Van Dijk with a serious knee injury, became the flash point of October’s Merseyside derby.

Everton goalkeeper Pickford escaped any action, though; Oliver and the VAR team at Stockley Park noted that Liverpool‘s defender was offside in the build-up.

Speaking in an interview with the Mail on Sunday, however, Oliver has issued a climbdown over the incident.

“The thought initially was ‘it can’t be a penalty because it’s offside so we need to check the offside first,” he said.

“I think I said to the VAR, ‘if it’s not offside, I’m going to give a penalty. I have watched it back so many times, I genuinely don’t think Pickford has done anything apart from try to spread himself but he did it the wrong way, as the injury has shown.

“We have all, myself included, not thought about the challenge as much as we should have done.”

Van Dijk underwent surgery on the injury shortly after the 2-2 draw and is progressing with long-term rehabilitation. However, the incident with Pickford proved to be one of a few controversial highlights of the match.

VAR later denied Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson an injury-time winner, with Sadio Mane offside. Meanwhile, Richarlison received a red card after a challenge which also left Thiago Alcantara with a serious knee injury.

Oliver ‘surprised’ at Van Dijk incident

Oliver went on to explain what “surprised” him about the incident involving Pickford and Van Dijk.

“We could still have given offside and sent Pickford off,” the referee said.

“What I was surprised about looking at it afterwards was that nothing was expected on-field in terms of a red card. None of the players were asking for that.

“We got sucked too much into going step by step as opposed to thinking of the bigger process, which was considering the challenge as well and not just the fact that it can’t be a penalty. We should have restarted with the offside, but with a different punishment for Jordan Pickford.”

Concern immediately arose for Liverpool’s back line after Van Dijk’s injury. However, they have since lost both other senior centre-backs, with Joe Gomez and Joel Matip also out.

Read an expanded version and Oliver said he probably never got the significance of the incident because it was a typical derby and ' tackles were flying in on both sides ' . No they fucking weren't you self serving liar he is obviously feeding off the retrospective VdV _ James cover-up from our loveable neighbours.

Oliver says he was surprised that our players didnt protest for a red card at the time. Why should players need to protest and ask for a red card in an incident which was clear and which was being reviewed by VAR?

That's the annoying hypocrisy in football. They run campaigns telling players not to shout at refs or crowd them. Yet, if the players show some restraint and dont shout in the refs' faces, we apparently won't get nailed on red cards. Same with penalties. If you stay on your feet after being fouled you get nothing. But then if you went down a bit easy after being fouled, you might still be accused of a being a diver.

Under Klopp, Liverpool often top the so called Fair Play League. But as some have pointed out recently, we just dont seem to get the number of fouls we should be getting. It's time for all our players to ditch the "nice guy" act. To be fair, Hendo and Robbo do their bit. Now we need all our other players to get on board. Because as Oliver clearly admitted, he was surprised there was no protest from them after the Pickford assault.

• Upvote 7

24 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Oliver says he was surprised that our players didnt protest for a red card at the time. Why should players need to protest and ask for a red card in an incident which was clear and which was being reviewed by VAR?

That's the annoying hypocrisy in football. They run campaigns telling players not to shout at refs or crowd them. Yet, if the players show some restraint and dont shout in the refs' faces, we apparently won't get nailed on red cards. Same with penalties. If you stay on your feet after being fouled you get nothing. But then if you went down a bit easy after being fouled, you might still be accused of a being a diver.

Under Klopp, Liverpool often top the so called Fair Play League. But as some have pointed out recently, we just dont seem to get the number of fouls we should be getting. It's time for all our players to ditch the "nice guy" act. To be fair, Hendo and Robbo do their bit. Now we need all our other players to get on board. Because as Oliver clearly admitted, he was surprised there was no protest from them after the Pickford assault.

Agreed. I find Oliver's comments very disappointing. Im sure he'd have loved it never mind change his decision if he'd had our players screaming for a sending off especially when their teammate is lieing in agony at the side of the pitch and even telling pickford to fuck off after that assault.

I dont have a problem with any player sticking up for their teammate and getting in the ref's space. At the same time, I dont want us to become cunts like Ramos, Pickford, Richarlison and a few others.

On 10/01/2021 at 17:27, Supremolad said:

It's almost like Oliver is saying he's incapable as a referee and he manages the game based on the reaction of the players. It would appear football has become cricket and you get fuck all if you don't ask and suddenly players are expected to ref as well as play. If ever there was an illustration of the incompetence of PGMOL that is it and he's effectively telling us what I've said all along, reduce var to nothing more than an appeals based system, because it would appear that's what they're doing unofficially. And finally,  it may explain the tremendous success rate of man united in pens since the introduction of VAR. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/01/2021 at 18:27, Supremolad said:

Yep. See also the excellent "Too nice"-thread that I started...

That Oliver has come out now and admitted his shortcomings in not sending Pickford off is, I feel, somewhat suspicious.

Normally these things are kept muted.

He wouldn’t have said this without the PGMOL knowing or perhaps even condoning it surely?
I can’t help feeling the timing, with us playing United next, is too convenient.

Perhaps I’m looking too much into it, but it’ll be interesting to see how the decisions go on Sunday, I won’t be holding my breath about who gets any contentious decisions though.

At this point I'd scrap it and just leave the goal line technology. All it is doing is pushing these subjective decisions into the hands of a fellow incompetent.  Some point dexter trying to adjudge of there was a millimetre of contact when that contact had nothing to do with a player hitting the deck, or if a fingernail is offside based on a fuzzy picture when no-one can determine when a ball was actually played. Its not a price worth paying and has ruined the joy in scoring goals. Give me the spirit of the law over the letter of it.