You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

He can't be unsure of stuff he hasn't seen. They miss stuff all the time. For me we need find a way to manage VAR and make it workable or just completely fuck it off. I'm in favour of completely fucking it off, but I'm also aware that will never happen. So we need to find ways that it doesn't kill the game, which is what it is doing now. 

In a normal world, this is exactly what you'd do - suspend it, re-visit the protocols, iron out this offside nonsense, etc, test it, pilot it, bring it back. Only problem is that this process and a VAR 2.0 would all still be in the hands off the same bunch of incompetent/biased half-wits who are currentl making the game unwatchable. I'm also in favour of fucking it off indefinitely but agree that it's also not going to happen. If it did, it would take us back to square one i.e. with results being at the mercy of unaccountable twats and half-wits like Atkinson, Atwell, Coote etc. We're fucked any which way!

19 minutes ago, DaveT said:

In a normal world, this is exactly what you'd do - suspend it, re-visit the protocols, iron out this offside nonsense, etc, test it, pilot it, bring it back. Only problem is that this process and a VAR 2.0 would all still be in the hands off the same bunch of incompetent/biased half-wits who are currentl making the game unwatchable. I'm also in favour of fucking it off indefinitely but agree that it's also not going to happen. If it did, it would take us back to square one i.e. with results being at the mercy of unaccountable twats and half-wits like Atkinson, Atwell, Coote etc. We're fucked any which way!

When VAR was being pushed to be introduced into football, it was said by IFAB \ FIFA that it would not replace the ref on the pitch, not overrule the ref on the pitch or direct the ref on the pitch to take action other than review the incident on the monitors.

The fact is, Mike Riley, head of refs in the PL never wanted VAR. It is unquestionable that he, as head of the refs, has set the agenda in the PL.

It is he and he alone who issued the edict PL refs should not consult the monitor. It is he who has ok'd the introduction of millimeter lines to decide offsides and it is he who has decreed the VAR official 'tell's the on pitch ref the decision he has made or missed is incorrect and has been overrule.

All that is against the original IFAB \ FIFA protocol for VAR. Riley made such a dog's breakfast of it that FIFA were aghast no ref had used the pitch side monitors once for much of the last PL season. I think Oliver was the first but not sure whether that was in an FA Cup game or PL game?

Although the IFAB \ FIFA have assumed 'control' of VAR the dye is set in the PL at least. It needs a whole new reset. That west ham game showed up the fact VAR is not set to check whether a ball goes into touch as there are no camera set to lookdown the side lines. The fact they tried to use an ordinary camera situated in the stand to have a look was an absolute joke. It's like trying to measure the distance to the Moon with a 6 inch piece of string. You can have a go but you aint doing it accurately.

FIFA \ IFAB needs to suspend the use of VAR until they resolve the issue of millimeter offsides, two opposing boots making contact in the box and the ludicrous 'T shirt' handball issues. But we all know we're pissing in the wind with that and I say it as someone in favour of properly used VAR.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

When VAR was being pushed to be introduced into football, it was said by IFAB \ FIFA that it would not replace the ref on the pitch, not overrule the ref on the pitch or direct the ref on the pitch to take action other than review the incident on the monitors.

The fact is, Mike Riley, head of refs in the PL never wanted VAR. It is unquestionable that he, as head of the refs, has set the agenda in the PL.

It is he and he alone who issued the edict PL refs should not consult the monitor. It is he who has ok'd the introduction of millimeter lines to decide offsides and it is he who has decreed the VAR official 'tell's the on pitch ref the decision he has made or missed is incorrect and has been overrule.

All that is against the original IFAB \ FIFA protocol for VAR. Riley made such a dog's breakfast of it that FIFA were aghast no ref had used the pitch side monitors once for much of the last PL season. I think Oliver was the first but not sure whether that was in an FA Cup game or PL game?

Although the IFAB \ FIFA have assumed 'control' of VAR the dye is set in the PL at least. It needs a whole new reset. That west ham game showed up the fact VAR is not set to check whether a ball goes into touch as there are no camera set to lookdown the side lines. The fact they tried to use an ordinary camera situated in the stand to have a look was an absolute joke. It's like trying to measure the distance to the Moon with a 6 inch piece of string. You can have a go but you aint doing it accurately.

FIFA \ IFAB needs to suspend the use of VAR until they resolve the issue of millimeter offsides, two opposing boots making contact in the box and the ludicrous 'T shirt' handball issues. But we all know we're pissing in the wind with that and I say it as someone in favour of properly used VAR.

The 'use' of VAR in the Man U match last night was the ultimate in buffoonery.

As for Riley, spot on. The fish stinks from the head down.

Edited by DaveT
typo

55 minutes ago, belarus said:

Hang on actually - are you meaning the challenge system or the video ref in general?

I don't watch any rugby, so if you told me they made decisions by a flick of a coin, I'd probably just react "ok, about the same level as consistency as football". I know how video is used in cricket and I've seen line calls in tennis but I don't watch tennis, but that's about as much as I've seen in other sports as until recently I mostly watched football and didn't have any interest in other sports other than cricket and boxing. 

38 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Which I think is why my var 2.0 would to do everything possible to get fewer referee decisions than before. We used to put up with lots of shit decisions, now we got to watch lots of shit decisions, plus a load of video shit decisions. 

Assuming VAR is here to stay, then offside should be looked at only to see if the striker is obviously offside. No lines, multiple checks, obscure parts of the body. If it's not immediately obvious he's offside then he gets the benefit of the doubt. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't watch any rugby, so if you told me they made decisions by a flick of a coin, I'd probably just react "ok, about the same level as consistency as football". I know how video is used in cricket and I've seen line calls in tennis but I don't watch tennis, but that's about as much as I've seen in other sports as until recently I mostly watched football and didn't have any interest in other sports other than cricket and boxing.

No, sorry mate. I’m making a meal out of this!

I meant they use the video ref successfully in rugby which is more similar to football, but then realised that you were discussing the challenge system and I wasn’t talking about that, as I don’t think rugby have challenges anyway.

Ignore me mate. I’m boring and confusing myself.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

If you ever watch the "ref watch" on SSN on a Monday with Dermot Gallagher you can see just that and this fucker has retired! The hoops he jumps through to try and justify why some decisions are given or not is stunning and nearly every week they follow it up with the opposite situation and he'll jump through another bunch of hoops to try and justify that decision. Having him on there is pointless as all he ever tried to do is justify whatever decision the ref makes - he even did it with the VVD incident saying "the var just concentrated too much on the offside". 

Not seen that... but seen Peter Walton. Fucking useless. He reminds me a pussy-whipped husband, too frightened to contradict his spouse.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aws said:

Assuming VAR is here to stay, then offside should be looked at only to see if the striker is obviously offside. No lines, multiple checks, obscure parts of the body. If it's not immediately obvious he's offside then he gets the benefit of the doubt. 

I think in the CL, they always give the benefit of doubt to the scorer and dont forensically analyse the offside to the tiniest millimetre.

Strange that in England, they also dont seem to use the lines for all tight offside calls. Yesterday, Rashford's goal wasn't subjected to the drawing of lines, despite looking quite tight. And today, Vardy's goal didn't go through that nonsense either, despite how close it seemed.

It's just annoying that when Liverpool score crucial PL goals which are tight, they bring the lines out sharpish and start fiddling around. 

I don't mind the offside lines.

Sure, they need to work on the technology of it a bit (not using the player's back foot if his other hip is further down the pitch like they did last week, for example!), but at least it's an objective decision. It's a bit like goal-line technology - it's either offside or it's not, and the closer they can come to getting it right, the better.

But for other things like red cards and penalties, it should be kept for just "clear and obvious" errors, as it was intended.

Today was the perfect example. At full speed I was upset with Mane for a ridiculous decision to clear the ball that way in that situation, so I wasn't even mad at the pen decision. But then you slow it down, see what really happened and it's easy to reverse it.

If they just kept it for that type of thing and cut out the changed calls where it's 50/50 and down to interpretation, it'd be great. I still have hopes that they'll come to that conclusion in the end, maybe next season.

56 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Same way as little arms didn't get a red in the derby. They've dealt with one issue and are so into patting each other on the back for getting something right, they forget to actually finish the job. 

Most likely. 

23 hours ago, aws said:

I’d give them 10 seconds to prove it wrong & then it goes with on field decision. If you can’t figure it out then it’s not clear & obvious, is it.