You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I think the only way to salvage VAR now, assuming they won't get rid of it, is to introduce challenges, two per half.

Even then they'll still manage to fuck it up I'm sure but stuff won't even be looked at unless a team requests it so less fuck ups.

Bang on. The "challenge" system is something I thought should have been used right from the start.

It would let the game flow more, would stop the VAR officials from being pedantic cunts and would put the responsibility of all decisons down to the pitch officials.

If your team think the ref got a major decision wrong, your captain requests for it to be VAR reviewed. And you get to keep the challenge if it is successful. Otherwise, you lose it.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking today about how many goals are given onside by a slither of a line. I can only think of three and two of them were in European games. In the Prem I can only recall a goal for Palace at West Ham last year and I watch quite a lot of games.

There's one or two off by the same margin every week. Unless my memory is being selective that has to mean the video ref is pissing about with the lines to make them off too much when it's close. It's not an exact science so they often choose to line it up as off.

If you're going to use technology surely it can be automated in some way so big fucking light goes up in the stadium straight away if it's off.

46 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

VAR is not the problem, incompetent officials are.

I can't get how people still think this. Any ref that has access to super slow motion in 4k will find Salah 2mm offside and will identify Robertson big toe nail crazing Welbeck's foot. VAR is the problem because once the technology spots them you have to give them. With the exception of the David Coote all the decisions have been unavoidable. 

I have trying to think about how many terrible decisions went for or against us in the last 5 years excluding the VAR years. We have literally swapped 4 or 5 shockers a season for 2 every week and in return we get to sit on our couch motionless and wait for BT or Sky to tell us its OK.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Numero said:

I don’t think we all did love football two years ago. Have a look at any thread of any football forum in the history of the world and you’ll see people pulling their hair out over decisions that were utterly ridiculous. If VAR - video assistance - was the red having a quick look at a particularly contentious decision on a screen whilst talking over a mic, then great. If it’s some knob in a different county fucking about with MS paint and drawing in accurate lines on everything ever, then it’s wank. 

Like I say, it’s the implementation in my opinion. It’s absolutely wank. It’s not an addition to the tools of the ref, it’s an overruling of the ref. 

It was always going to be this way though, it was always going to ruin goal celebrations, ruin the moment.

VAR was a bad idea which is being implemented incompetently. It is killing the game & it needs to be scrapped.

• Upvote 6

40 minutes ago, ben48 said:

Does anyone know how many VAR decisions have gone against us this season, I’ve lost count?

Yeah - remember those tables flying about last season which demonstrated how many points other teams had lost and how we were gaining from it. Don’t remember seeing any of them this season.

Edit - Just found an updated one - we are worst hit with minus 7 points.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4182135/how-var-decisions-affected-every-premier-league-club-in-2020-21%3fplatform=amp

1 minute ago, No2 said:

I can't get how people still think this. Any ref that has access to super slow motion in 4k will find Salah 2mm offside and will identify Robertson big toe nail crazing Welbeck's foot. VAR is the problem because once the technology spots them you have to give them.

If you are mistaken on this basic point of fact, it's no wonder you think VAR is the problem. VAR is only supposed to be used to rectify obvious changes.

Cheers mate, I thought that we were being nailed, the standard of refereeing has been going down for years now, and there has always been howlers. But this shambles now is surely unbeatable, I’ve loved the game for over sixty years but I find that I’m getting to despise it. I feel so sorry for Klopp and the lads having to put up with this shit week in week out. And not being able to say anything because they would “ get into trouble “. The game is fucked and it pains me to say it but I’m ready to give up on it

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you are mistaken on this basic point of fact, it's no wonder you think VAR is the problem. VAR is only supposed to be used to rectify obvious changes.

There is no definitive reason as to why VAR was introduced.The main idea was for VAR to help officials get wrong decisions right. The problem is once you see its wrong you have no choice but to correct it and the technology will make sure you see it every time no matter how miniscule it is.

16 minutes ago, ben48 said:

Cheers mate, I thought that we were being nailed, the standard of refereeing has been going down for years now, and there has always been howlers. But this shambles now is surely unbeatable, I’ve loved the game for over sixty years but I find that I’m getting to despise it. I feel so sorry for Klopp and the lads having to put up with this shit week in week out. And not being able to say anything because they would “ get into trouble “. The game is fucked and it pains me to say it but I’m ready to give up on it

If Klopp hadn’t put together such a great team, I could see me starting to lose interest. I’d rather go back to hating half the referees because they’re incompetent, but it now feels like they’re just looking for a chance to shaft us and that I can’t take.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

There is no definitive reason as to why VAR was introduced.The main idea was for VAR to help officials get wrong decisions right. The problem is once you see its wrong you have no choice but to correct it and the technology will make sure you see it every time no matter how miniscule it is.

It was introduced because TV cunts like Linekar were crying it in every week about each and every mistake that was made. Television have been desperate to introduce it for years, but they will soon realise they’ve made a massive fucking mistake.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

It was introduced because TV cunts like Linekar were crying it in every week about each and every mistake that was made. Television have been desperate to introduce it for years, but they will soon realise they’ve made a massive fucking mistake.

I see that on Twitter Lineker has now come out in agreement with Hendo and Millie, saying that he was wrong about VAR , and that it is killing the game.

We, the fans, together with pundits and reporters, are to blame for VAR. We complained about “incompetent” officials who were not up to the job to the point that referees and assistants felt under siege. They were fair game to be abused at every level and this could include physical abuse in lower leagues.

The response from officials was “we need help” and, with cameras at all top games this was the obvious answer. Most pundits and fans seemed to think it was a good idea and many still do now suggesting it is just the way VAR is being implemented that is the problem. It isn’t. Having accepted video evidence should be used the anomaly now is that every decision (or non-decision) should be checked - was that a corner, a foul, did it hit a hand outside the penalty area?

Some calls are subjective, others a matter of fact (subject to the frame freezing issue) and so debates will continue even with VAR.

The answer, for me, is to scrap it combined with an acceptance that officials are not incompetent or biased, they are the best we have doing an incredibly difficult job, for the most part extremely well. We, fans, pundits and reporters, need to grow up. Mistakes are part of the game whether made by players, managers or officials. Of course we’d rather every decision was spot on but VAR isn’t really helping here is it?

Officials have decided not to make decisions in contentious situations relying on VAR to bail them out. They need to go back to putting a flag up, blowing the whistle as they used to and we can get back to the immediacy and free flowing nature of the game we used to love. As a fall back position, I would accept a man in a van asking the onfield ref to view footage of a blatant error where an embarrassing mistake has been made. Everything else we live with.

ive not missed a domestic match (and few abroad) for years (before Covid) but a combination of watching on TV (which I find very nerve wracking) and VAR are killing my love for the game. I’d rather go and watch my lad for a fraction of the ticket price and much less travelling. At least then, when he puts the ball into the net I can cheer

• Upvote 2

I saw something interesting last night. I dont know what channel it was but Michael Owen was on discussing the game and VAR with Dermott Gallagher (ex prem ref) and they both mentioned about the refs going over to the screen and at the start of the season the PGMOL said they were introducing refs going over to the pitch side monitors however the replays would be shown in real time and not slowed down. 

But what we are seeing is refs going to the pitch side monitors and the replays are being slowed down so incidents look far worse. Even Dermott Gallagher said in real time it was not a penalty and the ref was looking directly at the incident and he has no clue as to why they are slowing the replays down as this is not what is suppose to be happening.

Its just an utter mess,run by incompetent clowns who don't even follow their own guidelines. They are looking for anything to rule goals out and give pens and its ruining the game. 

15 hours ago, Mook said:

VAR was a bad idea which is being implemented incompetently. It is killing the game & it needs to be scrapped.

Am inclined to agree.

I think we have to accept that refereeing mistakes are part of the game. It's the price we need to pay to be able to celebrate again. VAR was meant to remove controversy, not make it worse - so what is the point?

That being said I quite like the idea of challenges.