You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

22 minutes ago, Numero said:

And referees were shit before VAR. being able to see something again isn’t the issue. It’s the twats and the way they’re implementing it that’s the issue. 

Yeah, VAR was supposed to correct the shit refs shitty decisions. Unfortunately, what we all overlooked, including me, was that VAR would be operated by shit refs! That's bad enough but then the IFAB \ FIFA made a dogs breakfast of law amendments that made shit refs make even shittier decisions via VAR!

• Upvote 1

As mentioned its been used in other sports, rugby, cricket, tennis etc.

It's the way its been implemented that's the problem, no need for the over analysis if you are getting lines out its either linesman's call or benefit of the doubt to the attacker; no need to waste time drawing lines and moving frames.

I think it was the Villa game the other day where they scored after 48 seconds and it was 6 minutes into the game before it was disallowed that's just ridiculous.

Also they really need to mic up the refs and var assistants during the decisions so people can understand the thinking behind the decision.

VAR is a car crash and I'd like to see it abolished but understand this can't happen now - too many egos would be upset.

So, if it has to stay, I think we should go back to referees refereeing games, with assistants, as we used to a couple of years ago with an additional layer. Some guy in a truck can review goals (only goals) and point out to the onfield ref if there has been a massive error (I say massive, the authorities can call it clear and obvious). Borderline decisions should be reffed as they used to be - some errors will be made but it is much better than the current position.

If there should have been a red card it can be dealt with retrospectively as it used to be. I know that means some players will stay on the pitch when they may otherwise have not but these things tend to be somewhat subjective anyway.

In summary, leave it to the guys on the pitch in real time and accept the odd mistake. I know we slag off referees but the reality is they do a very good job for the most part. And they are the best we have so get over the odd mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

This load of bollocks needs to be fucked off asap its utterly ruining the game I was all for it because I thought it would clear up dodgy decisions but this is just ridiculous now fuck it off sharpish,  obviously it won't be as they can't admit they have made a complete fucking mess of it 

• Upvote 1

The thing that really pisses me off is that it isn't a level playing field the red mancs have a stonewall penalty given against them the ref is encouraged to look at it again,  the decision gets overturned even Rio Ferdinand thinks it's a scandalous decision. 

Now the referee gets a full view of the Brighton ' penalty ' and decides its not a penalty but once again he's encouraged to look at it again and once more were on the wrong side of another dodgy var decision its disgusting the people making these decisions need to stop remaining in the shadows and front up and explain themselves. 

In simple terms

Football, is not as enjoyable to watch since var came in. 

The main enjoyment in football is watching goals, but since this stupid fucking thing has come out, you now can't celebrate. You actually can't celebrate the goals, if you can't do that, then what's the fucking point of it 

• Upvote 9

11 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

In simple terms

The main enjoyment in football is watching goals, but since this stupid fucking thing has come out, you now can't celebrate. You actually can't celebrate the goals, if you can't do that, then what's the fucking point of it 

The biggest problem is not just the fact it takes ages to make any decision involving it but the fact that a lot of the decisions are blatantly wrong.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

In simple terms

It's worse than that, VAR has essentially turned football in to WWE.

VAR should only be used to correct an absolute howler, such as a Maradona type handball, or the wrong player getting sent off. If it carries on this way, more and more people are going to lose interest in top flight football.

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2020 at 19:44, Numero said:

And referees were shit before VAR. being able to see something again isn’t the issue. It’s the twats and the way they’re implementing it that’s the issue. 

VAR is precisely the issue

Previously we had bad decisions, now we have bad decisions that we have to wait for & the act of celebrating a goal has been mutilated in the process.

We can't just replace all these bad officials with good officials so the solution is simple, scrap VAR. We all loved Football two years ago, now thousands upon thousands of us are not so sure, it's broken & the fix is a very simple one.

It could/should be a good thing - overturning 'shockers', etc  However, when you're drawing lines for mm offside decisions, then the system is wrong.

Other sports implement their systems well, and are transparent. No reason football can't do the same; and it seems to be better in other countries. We have a problem in this country, it's called Mike Riley.......

• Upvote 3

I think the only way to salvage VAR now, assuming they won't get rid of it, is to introduce challenges, two per half.

Even then they'll still manage to fuck it up I'm sure but stuff won't even be looked at unless a team requests it so less fuck ups.

• Upvote 1

With Diego Maradona passing away this week I rewatched that movie about his career.

There where scenes from certain games like the obvious goal of the century against England in front of 100 thousand people. You can see the absolute raw emotion and passion on those moments. 

There's not a single watcher of football nowadays that can honestly say you could have those with var now. You simply couldn't. 

It's a killjoy, and nothing else. I hate it, and quite frankly, find football less of an escape since it came in. 

I work hard through the week, have two young kids, and forgive me for wanting to enjoy goals being scored and to celebrate them. You literally can't do that anymore, 

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, Mook said:

VAR is precisely the issue

Previously we had bad decisions, now we have bad decisions that we have to wait for & the act of celebrating a goal has been mutilated in the process.

We can't just replace all these bad officials with good officials so the solution is simple, scrap VAR. We all loved Football two years ago, now thousands upon thousands of us are not so sure, it's broken & the fix is a very simple one.

I don’t think we all did love football two years ago. Have a look at any thread of any football forum in the history of the world and you’ll see people pulling their hair out over decisions that were utterly ridiculous. If VAR - video assistance - was the red having a quick look at a particularly contentious decision on a screen whilst talking over a mic, then great. If it’s some knob in a different county fucking about with MS paint and drawing in accurate lines on everything ever, then it’s wank. 

Like I say, it’s the implementation in my opinion. It’s absolutely wank. It’s not an addition to the tools of the ref, it’s an overruling of the ref.