You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

6 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’m not sure it’s drawn in the wrong place, cause I don’t really know what the right place is anymore, but I’m ok with it being inside cause to me, looking at it, that freeze frame meets my definition of being level and I want being level to still be offside.

ive been watching football long enough to know what offside, onside and level (which is onside) look like without two lines. He’s level in my book. Play on.

But here's the thing. Once you start drawing lines using computers, you'll almost never get level again. If people want level is onside to be a thing again, we have to stop drawing lines. 

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

But here's the thing. Once you start drawing lines using computers, you'll almost never get level again. If people want level is onside to be a thing again, we have to stop drawing lines. 

We couldn’t be any more aligned on this overall Barry, and I made the point about level disappearing around the same time you did.

id be happy with one line used to help aid someone viewing the screen, maybe, but we all know what offside looks like.

let the linesman call it as they see it and let the times they get it clearly wrong be overturned. What’s so hard about that?

3 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

We couldn’t be any more aligned on this overall Barry, and I made the point about level disappearing around the same time you did.

id be happy with one line used to help aid someone viewing the screen, maybe, but we all know what offside looks like.

let the linesman call it as they see it and let the times they get it clearly wrong be overturned. What’s so hard about that?

You're right Bob. Trouble is there's stuffed shirts driving this I think see it for something else. My guess is if they can ever get the technology useful, it becomes another platform for sponsorship. Right now it would seem.oretty unlikely any firm would want to out their name to it. But we'll either get used to it or it'll get better or they'll find something else for our anger and the offside doesn't seem so bad and they'll sell it then.

Cricket has been using 3rd umpire/ DRS for years now and while it still isn't perfect, it's come a long way since it started. 

Crucially, it acknowledges the imperfection of its technology. This, despite a camera being focused on a fixed area the size of the 6-yard box, and is basically just marking coordinates on a grid...and it STILL refers back to the umpire's original decision when a call is too tight. 

Again, I don't like how much error it allows for, but I like the fact that they recognize it at all. It still gives the on-field umpire authority and exposes the shite ones. And they mic up the man in the box, so viewers can hear the reasoning. 

The technology used for offside at the moment is so hopelessly inadequate, it has no business pinpointing an offside fucking elbow. It's embarrassing to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I continue to be amazed at how the officials continually fuck up a tool that's been designed to make their life easier at spotting mistakes. This 'clear and obvious' error, does anyone truely understand what it means?

When VAR was discussed, no one was expecting it to be used to the millimeter to determine offside and such. Every sane person went ok, now we can look at those decisions where someone 'looked' offside \ onside, was the decision right or wrong, not get the fucking slide rule out and scrub goals out.

The pickford incident was a clear example of exactly when VAR should be used, when the on field ref either doesnt see a 'foul' or does but doesnt do anything about it. This bollocks about one phase of play had ended so no need to look any further in this example is just complete and utter turd.

We said one day a player is going to get seriously injured with playing on and VAR determining offside. Well, here it is, play continued, a player was seriously injured due to serious foul play and they still fucked it up. Criminal.

Anyone else note that when Friend was shown the view of Jota’s disallowed goal yesterday, the only view on the monitor was from the side on camera. Yet the camera showing the incident from the rear shows Ogbonna going into Mane and propelling him into Fabianski. I’m not saying it was a foul by Ogbonna because he was partly trying to shield and clear the ball, but it wasn’t Mane going into Ogbonna and fouling him, which has been suggested.

At 2.17 in this video.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Anyone else note that when Friend was shown the view of Jota’s disallowed goal yesterday, the only view on the monitor was from the side on camera. Yet the camera showing the incident from the rear shows Ogbonna going into Mane and propelling him into Fabianski. I’m not saying it was a foul by Ogbonna because he was partly trying to shield and clear the ball, but it wasn’t Mane going into Ogbonna and fouling him, which has been suggested.

At 2.17 in this video.

It looked a foul in real time and nobody can be surprised they overturned it. What annoyed me was the time it took and the excuse they gave, no foul was made on Ogbonna. Just award the foul against Mane for dangerous play, studs showing, free out, move on. The lies they make up seemingly all the time is tedious at this stage.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, No2 said:

It looked a foul in real time and nobody can be surprised they overturned it. What annoyed me was the time it took and the excuse they gave, no foul was made on Ogbonna. Just award the foul against Mane for dangerous play, studs showing, free out, move on. The lies they make up seemingly all the time is tedious at this stage.

He gave the goal though. So from that point it needs to be clear and obvious and I don't think it was because it took about 200 reruns. 

52 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He gave the goal though. So from that point it needs to be clear and obvious and I don't think it was because it took about 200 reruns. 

Manè went leading with his studs. That will be given as a foul every day of the week.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, No2 said:

Manè went leading with his studs. That will be given as a foul every day of the week.

Thats the way I saw it, he was entitled to launch himself at the ball but once he didn't get it he was always going to end up in a heap with the goalie. Didnt know there was any discussion re fouling the defender, makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Thats the way I saw it, he was entitled to launch himself at the ball but once he didn't get it he was always going to end up in a heap with the goalie. Didnt know there was any discussion re fouling the defender, makes no sense.

If they were accident investigators at the scene where an oil tanker overturned on the motorway and another car ended up skidding and crashing into the central reservation, they'd completely forget about the spillage and the potential fire hazard and concentrate on the fact the car only had about 1mm of tread above the legal minimum.

LiVARpool

VAR overturns - decisions against

Liverpool 5

Brighton 4

Crystal Palace 4

Man United 4

Tottenham 4

Fulham 3

Leeds 2

Newcastle 2

Wolves 2

Aston Villa 1

Chelsea 1

Leicester City 1

Southampton 1

West Brom 1

West Ham 1

Arsenal 0

Burnley 0

Everton 0

Man City 0

Sheffield United 0

Neville made a decent point on his podcast.

VAR isn't the actual issue its the stupid new laws put in place by FIFA for handballs and Offside that mean VAR is going overboard in making the decisions. 

Its not being helped by the useless cunts we have in charge of the referees association over here. 

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

VAR isn't the actual issue its the stupid new laws put in place by FIFA for handballs and Offside that mean VAR is going overboard in making the decisions. 

Its not being helped by the useless cunts we have in charge of the referees association over here. 

Agreed. They've needlessly brought in some stupid rule interpretations and VAR is  highlighting their stupidity.

They've also come up with a stupid way of operating VAR in some pathetic search for " scientific" accuracy. If it takes more than two instant looks at the replay to decide the ref was wrong then how can there be a clear and obvious error? 

22 hours ago, Lee909 said:

VAR is the issue if you think absolutely everything needs reviewing every single time. that offside against bamford for example is a classic point. once the line is drawn on the freeze frame, it's just onside. there's no need for stupid dotted lines from parts of the body which may or may not be able to score a goal. that is VAR, because without VAR or the way VAR is implemented, it's just onside. 

22 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The rules are obviously the root of the issue with VAR. The other one is, the authorities have somehow made the addition of people simply looking at the game in a separate location a liability. Its use has been astounding. I mean, every single other sport in the world that uses replay uses it far better than football.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The rules are obviously the root of the issue with VAR. The other one is, the authorities have somehow made the addition of people simply looking at the game in a separate location a liability. Its use has been astounding. I mean, every single other sport in the world that uses replay uses it far better than football.

Yep. You don't see shit decisions in Rugby League for example. In Football they have taken something that me or you could solve in seconds and turned it into a giant fuck up. They should have 1 person, maybe an ex-player who knows the game, assigned for each game. You'd get far less shit decisions. That Bamford decision is a fucking joke. 

On 01/11/2020 at 09:56, Anubis said:

At 2.17 in this video.

I’m no fan of VAR but that was rightly disallowed. You can’t go in on the keeper like that and not connect with the ball and expect to get away with it. 

it wasn’t dangerous or reckless, but it’s a foul.

irrespective what angle

I’m also still convinced Jota was offside anyway for it, but that’s never been looked at.

33 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

But football isn’t alone in the use of replays getting in the way of what the sport is supposed to be.

For about 5 consecutive years the NFL had to attempt to redefine what a catch was. The most fundamental aspect of the game - did he catch it - had to be rewritten over and over to satisfy knobheads on the internet.

44 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

But football isn’t alone in the use of replays getting in the way of what the sport is supposed to be.

For about 5 consecutive years the NFL had to attempt to redefine what a catch was. The most fundamental aspect of the game - did he catch it - had to be rewritten over and over to satisfy knobheads on the internet.

There's always going to be an issue here and there with human beings interpreting slow motion footage. But football has found a way to have it almost ruin the sport. It's been a bizarre display of incompetence.