You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

Just now, Pete said:

I'd like to see it be used properly and with competent officials who know what they're doing then, we may have a better idea of whether it's good for the game or not.

But we don't have competent officials, they've always been useless, agenda driven or both. All VAR is, is a twat multiplier. Most small organisations quickly reflect the personality of their boss. 

article-0-02BEE39400000578-320_468x323.jpg

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But we don't have competent officials, they've always been useless, agenda driven or both. All VAR is, is a twat multiplier. Most small organisations quickly reflect the personality of their boss. 

article-0-02BEE39400000578-320_468x323.jpg

So I'd like to see them use competent officials and not the current lot we have. Must some folks out there that know what they are doing? 

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

So I'd like to see them use competent officials and not the current lot we have. Must some folks out there that know what they are doing? 

but here's the thing. are they all incompetent or are they managed in a way that makes them appear so? Mike Riley was a pedantic shithouse back when he was a ref and that is what our game is currently being turned into. The refs (and by association the VARs) will get to ref the big games if you follow the shite Mike Riley tells you to do. If you don't the assessors will mark you down. It has seemed clear to me it is more important to look to be pedantic and be seen to implement some fuck off new law than it is actually getting the decision right. Sunday is a case in point - lets put so much focus on the offside the gobshite VAR has no brain capacity left to remember the assault that happened half a second later - or he feels under so much pressure to get the game restarted, he just wants the VAR bit to end and them start playing. If all officials are incompetent, I don't think I would be looking at the individuals, I would be looking for common denominators - how they are trained, assessed and managed. At some point heads of organisations get the bullet because of incompetence by staff - nowhere more true than football where a change of manager is seen as a pathway to improved player performance. I don't really see how that would be different for referees. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with that.

Refs are generally shit but they're defo made to look worse by the way they are assessed and how they therefore feel they need to officiate games.

I'd love to know what Oliver thinks about how that Pickford incident went down, because he is a good ref and he saw what happened. For whatever reason he didn't show a red card and then after that he was unable to, which made him look a twat.

It's not a co-incidence for me that when the Richarlison tackle happened he couldn't get his red out quick enough. 

Mike Riley was a terrible ref, an equally bad human being and I hate his stupid baby bird face.

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, dave u said:

I agree with that.

Refs are generally shit but they're defo made to look worse by the way they are assessed and how they therefore feel they need to officiate games.

I'd love to know what Oliver thinks about how that Pickford incident went down, because he is a good ref and he saw what happened. For whatever reason he didn't show a red card and then after that he was unable to, which made him look a twat.

It's not a co-incidence for me that when the Richarlison tackle happened he couldn't get his red out quick enough. 

Mike Riley was a terrible ref, an equally bad human being and I hate his stupid baby bird face.

well if oliver didn't know at the time, for sure he knew at half time what had happened with vvd. mike riley is a cunt and it will never be possible to have a good ref organisation if he is at the helm. 

20 minutes ago, skend04 said:

VAR is magnifying how shit English referees are. They wanted help for years and they're even fucking that up. Half of me thinks the game would improve ten-fold if there were no referees involved at all.

Call your own frees like we did on the street. Proper order

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

VAR is ok as long as the people looking at it actually do their fucking job.

Getting to the point I have to meg this opinion. Sorry you had to be the first but the line has to be drawn somewhere. VAR is inclusive of the people using it. It’s can’t exist without them. And it’s therefore shit.

If Lewis Hamilton drives my Kia in the next Grand Prix, and I drive his Mercedes, the same result happens. We both finish way behind the rest. 

that’s a fucking terrible metaphor I’ve just used, and it’s only been written down because VAR exists, so you can blame it for that too.

the main purpose of VAR seems to be to try their best for all goals scored to come from pens. They try to find any reason to give one, try their best never to take them away, and make sure if it’s saved you get another go.

but score a worldy in open play, you can do one. They’re not having that.

2 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Getting to the point I have to meg this opinion. Sorry you had to be the first but the line has to be drawn somewhere. VAR is inclusive of the people using it. It’s can’t exist without them. And it’s therefore shit.

If Lewis Hamilton drives my Kia in the next Grand Prix, and I drive his Mercedes, the same result happens. We both finish way behind the rest. 

that’s a fucking terrible metaphor I’ve just used, and it’s only been written down because VAR exists, so you can blame it for that too.

the main purpose of VAR seems to be to try their best for all goals scored to come from pens. They try to find any reason to give one, try their best never to take them away, and make sure if it’s saved you get another go.

but score a worldy in open play, you can do one. They’re not having that.

Erm, ok. Look at the Utd game tonight. The whole world can see Maguire fouling Azpilicueta but the VAR official says otherwise. That, to me, is not a fault of the system, but the person making the decision. But meg away.

I hate it. It causes more controversy and just feelings of bad will. They are working to a precision the damn system itself isn't even capable of and the people using it are incompetent or worse possibly corrupt/bias if youre not held accountable then why worry about being accountable. Worst of all its stolen the euphoria of scoring a goal for that alone it should be scrubbed. Its had a negative impact on my enjoyment of the game and for what, the errors are still being made.

Var decisions need to be taken away from the referee clique. It needs to be scrubbed completely but if it stays refs should stick to onfield and people who aren't their mates independently confirm decisions. All should be held accountable.

• Upvote 1