You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

• 1 year later...

That's a good clip but the thing with refs in this country is they are just out to cover each others back. That applies to both those in the game and those retired. Not one of them ever comes out with a plain simple 'That's wrong.' It's always, always making excuses for why the ref did what he did, not what he should have done.

Walton, Gallagher and the others, they always set out to defend the ref first and foremost and not point out the error. If and when they do, it's always couched in apologist terms such as 'he didnt have a good sight' or 'it's hard to tell from that angle'!

WTF, that's what VAR is for, to give you time to think, gather your thoughts and have not one or two looks at an incident but as many times as you want to make the decision.

There's a very good tool there to help refs and that fuckwit Riley has never been on board with using it. The paradox is, Riley has now got the VAR official making the big calls while the on pitch ref just stands there with his finger to his ear listening to what the tool at Stockly Park is telling him.

I get that refs have a hard job. I dont get how 'elite' refs dont seem to know the rules that just because a player is deemed offside, they couldnt look at an incident in the next couple of frames and consider a red card.

It's like the fucking beachball incident at Sunderland years ago or the fucking clown reffing that away game at West Ham in 2014 when Carroll forearm smashed Mig knocking the ball out of his hands for west ham to score and the ref is going to his lino 'I think he's dropped it'! Well spotted Captain Obvious!

In all our years in the Champions League how many shocking decisions have we had go for or against us? I can't think of many and that's because the refs are better. The extra refs behind the goal also helped even though the dopes on TV said they done nothing. What we need is better refs, no VAR and no Mike Reilly.

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

In all our years in the Champions League how many shocking decisions have we had go for or against us? I can't think of many and that's because the refs are better. The extra refs behind the goal also helped even though the dopes on TV said they done nothing. What we need is better refs, no VAR and no Mike Reilly.

Spot on mate, 

1 hour ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Sums it all up.

Watch the Aussie clip first and then watch the cunt refs in our country. 

That Jon Moss one STILL drives me mad, and PGMOL only made matters worse with their piss-poor attempt to explain it away.

28 minutes ago, No2 said:

I still think VAR is a very useful tool, but the goons in charge of using it are the biggest problem in combination with rules that complicate matters needlessly. When England didn't have a single official at the last World Cup, that should have told the authorities that refereeing at the highest level in this country needed a shake-up because we had a whole raft of Mike Rileys, with one or two trying to be the new Howard Webb.

The examples in rugby and cricket often get cited for how well they work. I'm sure it's not foolproof and 100% accurate in those sports, but there can't be too many instances of the officials getting the decision-making spectacularly wrong when they've had the use of technology, purely because they use the technology to try and inprove their decision-making.

As difficult as it might be for them, it really needs for former players to be more involved in the refereeing process because all the current perspectives come from officials sat in a committee room somewhere, many of whom have never even played the game, and some of whom that have administrative experience but no really affinity for the sport. If these former players can really understand the laws of the game as they currently are, then they can provide some input based on their experiences as to where changes could be made.

48 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I still think VAR is a very useful tool, but the goons in charge of using it are the biggest problem in combination with rules that complicate matters needlessly. When England didn't have a single official at the last World Cup, that should have told the authorities that refereeing at the highest level in this country needed a shake-up because we had a whole raft of Mike Rileys, with one or two trying to be the new Howard Webb.

The examples in rugby and cricket often get cited for how well they work. I'm sure it's not foolproof and 100% accurate in those sports, but there can't be too many instances of the officials getting the decision-making spectacularly wrong when they've had the use of technology, purely because they use the technology to try and inprove their decision-making.

As difficult as it might be for them, it really needs for former players to be more involved in the refereeing process because all the current perspectives come from officials sat in a committee room somewhere, many of whom have never even played the game, and some of whom that have administrative experience but no really affinity for the sport. If these former players can really understand the laws of the game as they currently are, then they can provide some input based on their experiences as to where changes could be made.

i am not sure ex-player are the answer unless they are trained properly, because I am always amazed how often you hear them talk about incidents and they just don't have a clue what the laws of the game. i listened to chris kamara on goals on sunday for years deciding if a pen was a pen depending if the ball changed direction. 

I posted this on the match thread in the MF, this is what I think we should do .....

Dermot Gallagher was waffling about "the process broke", but he still admitted it was a mistake and it was a red. I keep coming back to it time and again, take it away from them. Just allow the bench to be able to appeal once per half and if their appeal is correct they keep the appeal. All the teams have ipads on the bench watching the match now, so it would be easy for our bench to have called that. It then gives the FA nowhere to hide. There's no "breakdown in process" and if it is missed we have absolutely nobody else to blame but ourselves. And like anything in life, you could use the number of decisions the ref misses/gets wrong as some sort of KPI which stops them just not giving decisions. And I would apply this to everything, serious foul play, these fuck off handballs and the even more fuck off offsides. If the flag is up its offside, if it is down it is onside until it is appealed and you play to the whistle, so I am happy for the ref to see a flag and let the game carry on if there's a goalscoring opportunity. And you only get one appeal, so don't make it frivolous.

It doesn't help either the way IFAB keep fiddling with the rules to complicate issues further. The handball rule is a mess. And the offside thing keeps getting messier.

Last season, it was armpits. This season, they are drawing the lines from shirt sleeves. So what happens when a player is wearing long sleeves? Or is there a memo that players shouldn't wear long sleeves any longer? What's to stop clubs messing with their sleeve designs going forward?

I do agree with @Barrington Womble regarding the use of VAR challenges like in tennis. It was an idea I also suggested when VAR was originally being introduced. 

• Upvote 1

As far as offside goes, surely the ideals of the game should be to encourage attacking play and goals?
If so then it should be the case that when a ball is played forwards, if any part of the relevant attacking player is in line with the last relevant defender then the attacking player is onside.

Even idiots like Coote could then see clearly if there’s a gap between the two players it’s off, if not it’s on, and you only have to use one line between the players to decide and not two.

As has been said previously, it’s not the actual VAR that’s wrong, it’s the interpretation of what it shows by the idiots that are being used to view it.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

A Twitter thread on Coote. I'm guessing it's possible to create a list like this for a lot of refs (Oliver has been involved in at least 3 of these). But for a fella who's been around such a short time it seems an impressive list.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LFC_Ireland78/status/1318337858592296960

He is categorically the worst official in the Premier League. It was reported in February that he even failed a FIFA fitness test after Mike Riley put him forward for the International list of refs.