You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It was. Doesn’t mean VAR is good, just means it was the right decision. 

Two different things.

What is it about VAR that you'd like to see improved? I think you spoke to the time it takes, I can agree with that, it's pretty clear when a replay is shown what exactly happened, but I do think a part of that is to avoid controversy. Is there anything else?

3 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

What is it about VAR that you'd like to see improved? I think you spoke to the time it takes, I can agree with that, it's pretty clear when a replay is shown what exactly happened, but I do think a part of that is to avoid controversy. Is there anything else?

I don’t like practically everything about it. The only thing I like is that some (and not even all) wrong decisions get righted.

generally it’s a flow of the game thing. I simply don’t feel the game needs it enough to warrant the disruption to the game, personally.

id be happy if it was left to only offsides, or maybe like rugby, also off the ball incidents that were missed for fair reason.

Last night was offside, but it’s only been in the last couple of years that tv replay would’ve shown it, so obviously it’s good that the correct decision played out, but it was so marginal that I can personally be ok with the Lino getting it wrong.

thats one of the big things for me, I don’t personally need everything to be 100% right and everyone to be 100% accountable. But ignore that, I’m ok with offsides.

i didn’t like at all that nobody in andield knew what was happening in the first leg, and I was astonished that we didn’t even see the replays on tv at home last night for manes goal.

final, and possibly biggest bugbear... the inconsistency of it all.

Corner awarded that should’ve been a goal kick - leads to a goal - not reviewable.

Dive outside the box bought by the ref, free kick leads to a goal (World Cup final!) - not reviewable

ball brushes a hand in the box, nobody appeals, game moving on, it stop, let’s look again on telly in super slow motion a million times from angles it’s impossible to tell context from.

its all so damned arbitrary.

it diminishes the responsibility for the officials to make a decision, which I think is a problem. A player will year a hamstring in a last ditch lunge for a ball, or two players will collide in a bad way, in an instant where a striker was 2 yards offside and the lino knew it but was told not to flag.

if the ref is looking straight at an incident - say a penalty claim - he shouldn’t be allowed to see it again, especially not in slow motion. It suggests he can’t be trusted to make decisions so diminishes his authority for all the many others he is making but aren’t reviewable.

all that, really.

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I don’t like practically everything about it. The only thing I like is that some (and not even all) wrong decisions get righted.

generally it’s a flow of the game thing. I simply don’t feel the game needs it enough to warrant the disruption to the game, personally.

id be happy if it was left to only offsides, or maybe like rugby, also off the ball incidents that were missed for fair reason.

Last night was offside, but it’s only been in the last couple of years that tv replay would’ve shown it, so obviously it’s good that the correct decision played out, but it was so marginal that I can personally be ok with the Lino getting it wrong.

thats one of the big things for me, I don’t personally need everything to be 100% right and everyone to be 100% accountable. But ignore that, I’m ok with offsides.

i didn’t like at all that nobody in andield knew what was happening in the first leg, and I was astonished that we didn’t even see the replays on tv at home last night for manes goal.

Corner awarded that should’ve been a goal kick - leads to a goal - not reviewable.

Dive outside the box bought by the ref, free kick leads to a goal (World Cup final!) - not reviewable

ball brushes a hand in the box, nobody appeals, game moving on, it stop, let’s look again on telly in super slow motion a million times from angles it’s impossible to tell context from.

it diminishes the responsibility for the officials to make a decision, which I think is a problem. A player will year a hamstring in a last ditch lunge for a ball, or two players will collide in a bad way, in an instant where a striker was 2 yards offside and the lino knew it but was told not to flag.

if the ref is looking straight at an incident - say a penalty claim - he shouldn’t be allowed to see it again, especially not in slow motion. It suggests he can’t be trusted to make decisions so diminishes his authority for all the many others he is making but aren’t reviewable.

all that, really.

If they covered all of those incidents then it would lead to even more interruptions, no? i.e. if anything would make you hate it even more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LFC 5 Times said:

Feel autonomy should be given to VAR officials to make deciding which ref should follow, the ref running to sideline is an embarrassment.

On the one hand I see why they do it, its the refs game to control, he should have the final say in borderline decisions. 

But on the other hand if VAR is saying its borderline then its not a clear and obvious error, and the refs initial decision should just stand by default. 

It's getting quicker though, and the niggles are being ironed out, so we're seeing some progress. 

Like somebody on here said, we've had over 100 years of referee and lino mistakes, and about 3 years of trying something different, so I'm willing to be patient and see how it goes. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

If they covered all of those incidents then it would lead to even more interruptions, no? i.e. if anything would make you hate it even more.

I don’t want them covering more incidents, I don’t want it full stop. But to me that sums up how it doesn’t work. 

I like the goal line tech, that’s positive, and if VAR was limited just to offside checks on goals and off the call stuff, I’d be happier.

therell come a point where it’s been in long enough that i forget I hate it, but I don’t need it in my life and don’t think I’ll ever “like” it

One bit of technology that hasn't caught on, thankfully I might add, is those stupid animations like with the "ghost goal" against Chelsea. It still winds me up that a cartoon recreation was used as 'evidence' that Chelsea were screwed over on a decision that benefited them. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Remmie said:

One bit of technology that hasn't caught on, thankfully I might add, is those stupid animations like with the "ghost goal" against Chelsea. It still winds me up that a cartoon recreation was used as 'evidence' that Chelsea were screwed over on a decision that benefited them. 

That I can agree with those goalline tech "replays" that look like a child drew them is ridiculous. I've been annoyed every time I've seen them.

4 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

all that, really.

A player will tear a hamstring or players will collide because of VAR?  That's a new one.  Cause and effect issues there.

The one thing for me I don't like about it and I guess there's not much you can do about it is that it will take away that initial fantastic euphoria of scoring a massive goal like City last night when you go completely ape shit and start hugging complete strangers.

I've already started to hold back on my celebration's when we score just so I don't have the let down of someone's left bollock being offside and it gets chalked off .

I mean I was in Woolton Village Sunday and when Salah scored that goal against Chelsea the whole pub went wild, next season will that happen or will people think hang on I'm not celebrating yet as it might get disallowed.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

A player will tear a hamstring or players will collide because of VAR?  That's a new one.  Cause and effect issues there.

Linos are purposefully not calling offside that they know is offside - like 2 yards - if there’s a chance to score, because VAR will rule out.

it happened a couple of times in the United/Barca game.

as soon as a challenge is made, and the chance to score is gone, they flag.

why wait if you are confident in the obvious call?

its not all that improbable what I suggested could happen.

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

The wrong team would have made a champions League semi final last night without it. 

Arguing against it is nonsensical. 

I’m not arguing against it, I’m saying it’s shit.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Linos are purposefully not calling offside that they know is offside - like 2 yards - if there’s a chance to score, because VAR will rule out.

it happened a couple of times in the United/Barca game.

as soon as a challenge is made, and the chance to score is gone, they flag.

why wait if you are confident in the obvious call?

its not all that improbable what I suggested could happen.

I don't see it as much different to the old rule.  They were always told to keep their flag down for tight decisions where the benefit of doubt went to the attacker. 

Also, with more breaks in play, won't that lessen the risk of muscle injuries like hamstrings?  The players aren't constantly exerting themselves and get a breather.  

37 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't see it as much different to the old rule.  They were always told to keep their flag down for tight decisions where the benefit of doubt went to the attacker. 

Also, with more breaks in play, won't that lessen the risk of muscle injuries like hamstrings?  The players aren't constantly exerting themselves and get a breather.  

Huge difference between advantage to the attacker on a class call and let play go even though you know it’s offside.

im not talking injury because of fatigue, but because of a last gasp lunge/stretch that wasn’t ever required, or a collision between keeper and attacker, etc.

its dumb.

fair enough if it’s toght, but often it’s miles offside and the flag comes straight up once a tackle is made or the keeper saves the shot. It’s barmy.

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

The wrong team would have made a champions League semi final last night without it. 

Arguing against it is nonsensical. 

For offsides, it's a complete no-brainer. Some of the calls are ridiculously tight and it all happens in a split second.

However, I'm not sure you can make the assumption you made above because the linesman is always going to keep his flag down in that situation when he knows VAR is in use. If there was no VAR, he may well have flagged. We'll never know. 

It's done with the TV viewer in mind, and just doesn't work for the fans in the stadium who haven't got a clue what's going on most of the time. If it's going to succeed that's something they're going to have to think about. In the NFL the refs are miked up and explain to everyone in the stadium the decision they have come to and why.

I also think this will inevitably lead to a big screen at Anfield. I will lose my shit if I see daytrippers waving at the screen when they see themselves.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Huge difference between advantage to the attacker on a class call and let play go even though you know it’s offside.

im not talking injury because of fatigue, but because of a last gasp lunge/stretch that wasn’t ever required, or a collision between keeper and attacker, etc.

its dumb.

fair enough if it’s toght, but often it’s miles offside and the flag comes straight up once a tackle is made or the keeper saves the shot. It’s barmy.