You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

13 minutes ago, Aventus said:

It's gonna go from me moaning that the refs are shite and we need VAR, to me moaning that the refs are shite and still make bad decisions even using VAR. 

As long as I get to moan I'm happy. 

But there will be fewer shit decisions overall which will lead to less moaning in the long run. Think about what you're signing up for.

17 hours ago, Hades said:

But there will be fewer shit decisions overall which will lead to less moaning in the long run. Think about what you're signing up for.

I feel like the our age at the shit decisions would carry more weight though, they'd have less excuse when they have the benefit of viewing replays. 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:31 PM, Tony Moanero said:

BOLLOCKS TO VAR.

Tony knows.

To the bin with you, VAR!

If they cannot implement VAR for all 92 professional clubs in the English leagues, then it should not be allowed. It's a fundamental change in the laws of the game that currently will only be in place for a select few.

This most recent round in the FA Cup has highlighted just how farcical the implementation of VAR has become, where a game not at a ground with VAR available is influenced by a decision that would have been referred to VAR had the game been played at a Premier League ground.

I'm of the same opinion for the Goal Decision System. It must be available at all levels of the professional game - The top 4 leagues, the FA Cup & League Cup at all grounds.

• Upvote 2

I'm yet to hear a credible alternative to VAR from the naysayers. We've had over 100 years of shite refereeing decisions and about 1 year of trying something else. 

Can the VAR process be improved? Most certainly, and it'll reduce howlers significantly. There will always be mistakes though especially with partisan fans chiming in. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Your deluding yourself if you think these same refs won't find a way to justify decisions like tonight's.That goal would still stand just like Spurs 2 penalties at Anfield would have still be given. Showers of fucking cunts.

On 02/02/2019 at 10:06, Remmie said:

I'm yet to hear a credible alternative to VAR from the naysayers. We've had over 100 years of shite refereeing decisions and about 1 year of trying something else. 

Can the VAR process be improved? Most certainly, and it'll reduce howlers significantly. There will always be mistakes though especially with partisan fans chiming in. 

If this article is anything to go by, the team that will supposedly benefit the most from VAR is Liverpool.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevemccaskill/2018/08/07/data-analytics-proves-manchester-united-is-the-luckiest-team-in-the-premier-league/#6bbe41232ee1

But the truth is, VAR is rubbish.

This "We've got the technology, let's use it to get it right" is a joke.

You can't "get it right".  As has been said, it is all subjective.  Factors which play a part in referees' decision-making are many, including occasion and participants (nobody can convince me that big teams don't get advantage).

Bring in VAR and the same factors are at play.  Plus, players will change their game, and will know exactly how to exploit the technology in order to gain an advantage.

I say gib it off.

In 10 years' time an algorithm will make all the decisions, and that will annoy everybody.  

That said, I wouldn't only take AI over Lee Mason, I'd take a rusty tamagotchi that some kid threw on the pitch.  With flat batteries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some elements of football are subjective and some aren't. The problem is that we can't trust officials to consistently make correct calls on even the black and white incidents anymore. I'd much rather refs at least get given the chance to make those calls 100% right with VAR with the tradeoff that a few more handballs and penalties are given as a result than to continue with linesmen missing guys who are 5 yards offside every game.

As long as there is an adjustment after a period where refs understand that just because they're told to look at a replay of a handball, doesn't mean it automatically must be given. If not and refs keep being influenced after a few years and there are still some technical issues, then you get rid of it or use a different system, but right now the things being missed in the Premier League are unacceptable. 

Expecting a defender to simply trust officials to make the correct offside call and therefore not play the ball...utter madness. See Lovren/Kane last season too. 

Worryingly, both calls have had interference from the ref, the same guy who will ultimately be tasked with using VAR correctly. 

Having moaned about us getting shafted by referees season after season, it would be ridiculous of me to criticise the introduction of a system which while not perfect is aimed at eradicating referee error.

The two main changes I would like to see are making it VAR ref makes all decisions ( no pissing around by the match ref in front of screens by the dugout) and cast iron clarification of handball / offside rules.

Taking the Utd penalty and Kane offside decisions as evidence , all four possible decisions could be argued as correct under the present regulations which evidently suggests that the rules involved aren’t fit for purpose.